U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 06:26 PM

3,491 posts, read 5,291,089 times

Advertisements

Much has been said about "white people this" and "white people that", and as far as I can tell they've all been referring to those of European extraction. However, in my decidedly unscientific personal experience, the world's whitest people do NOT come from Europe, but from Japan.

I have seen Japanese people, and Japanese females in particular, whose skin is so white as to be nearly transparent. In Japan, it seems, very white skin - particularly on females - seems to be a mark of beauty and desirability. Why else, do you suppose, have Geishas, female actors and entertainers, and other females traditionally worn white makeup?

Thoughts? Comments? Facts? Speculations?

-- Nighteyes

Last edited by linicx; 03-24-2011 at 01:01 PM..

Old 03-23-2011, 06:44 PM

10,024 posts, read 10,133,598 times
A couple of thousand years ago my ancesters left Scotland, {because they couldn't get along with anyone} and made their way over a number of years to the very secluded mountains of northern Afghanistan. They have stayed pure through all those generations except they have adopted some names like MacAllah and Mohammedston. They are so white they are almost invisible up there in their snow clad mountains. It's really been the most perfect place for them through the milleniums. All the fighting they want. Lots of sheep and goats to scwabble over and stones, lots of stones. Stones are the dearest thing to these white MacAfghan's hearts. You can do anything with them, build a house, throw them at people and slide them on ice in a game they invented called "The sliding the stones on ice game".

Old 03-23-2011, 07:03 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,779,652 times
^ ^ Wow, lucknow, that is aMAzing. I have never heard of this -- you should write a book.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:59 PM

6,415 posts, read 10,033,388 times
Enough with the "white" questions, already. It has nothing to do with genealogy.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:13 PM

4,585 posts, read 10,474,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Enough with the "white" questions, already. It has nothing to do with genealogy.
Really how many NDN threads have we suffered through.

The Japanese have a very interesting history in that they remained insular and attempted to keep the Euro's out of their country for quite sometime. The Chinese did the same. Their trading rules with the China Clipper crowd was very restrictive, the Euro's were not allowed to wander the country and were kept isolated in a compound if they wanted to trade. I find the history of Japan and China facinating.

Being from the PNW, I found the Japanese light skined but often with a very slight olive tone. They also pride themselves on their "light skin" and work to keep it that way - at least the woman did and do. If you look at the men and woman who work outside for a living like the fishermen etc. I think you'd find they do have an olive tone to their skin.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:46 AM

24,757 posts, read 32,891,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Really how many NDN threads have we suffered through.

The Japanese have a very interesting history in that they remained insular and attempted to keep the Euro's out of their country for quite sometime. The Chinese did the same. Their trading rules with the China Clipper crowd was very restrictive, the Euro's were not allowed to wander the country and were kept isolated in a compound if they wanted to trade. I find the history of Japan and China facinating.

Being from the PNW, I found the Japanese light skined but often with a very slight olive tone. They also pride themselves on their "light skin" and work to keep it that way - at least the woman did and do. If you look at the men and woman who work outside for a living like the fishermen etc. I think you'd find they do have an olive tone to their skin.
Japanese vary very much in color, from the brightest white to a definite light brown. Predictably, the further south you go, the darker they tend to be. Those from Kagoshima and Okinawa have traces of Polynesian and Melanesian bloodlines from way back. Though the myth of Japan is that they all come from similar stock and they all have a reverence for a certain tone of skin, the reality is that they are of varied appearance.

I was involved in sumo, and during the summer tours in the southern islands, many of the wrestlers tanned to the point that they were darker than I was.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:53 AM

9,852 posts, read 5,775,051 times
That could be anywhere someone (esp of Caucasian) does not get much sun exposure, whether by intention or not.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:32 AM

11,686 posts, read 13,074,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
...I have seen Japanese people, and Japanese females in particular, whose skin is so white as to be nearly transparent. In Japan, it seems, very white skin - particularly on females - seems to be a mark of beauty and desirability. Why else, do you suppose, have Geishas, female actors and entertainers, and other females traditionally worn white makeup?

Well, this begs the question of why these same groups stained their teeth black. Did they find the appearnace of severe tooth decay the bee's knees I wonder.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:38 AM

7,215 posts, read 7,563,902 times
In Japan there is a group of indigenous people called the Ainu that have very white skin.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:55 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,377,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Much has been said about "white people this" and "white people that", and as far as I can tell they've all been referring to those of European extraction. However, in my decidedly unscientific personal experience, the world's whitest people do NOT come from Europe, but from Japan.

I have seen Japanese people, and Japanese females in particular, whose skin is so white as to be nearly transparent. In Japan, it seems, very white skin - particularly on females - seems to be a mark of beauty and desirability. Why else, do you suppose, have Geishas, female actors and entertainers, and other females traditionally worn white makeup?

-- Nighteyes
"White" people came from Africa just the same as Black, Red, Yellow, etc. The variability is in our genes. As bottlenecking occured, at critical points in time, the opportunity for skin color variation came about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or