Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 10:18 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,999,911 times

Advertisements

I am not meaning this racially at all. This ethnic group fascinates me. I found out about it while researching my own family rumors of being Black Dutch. If you are Melungeon, what ethnicity does that mean to you? Where is your family predominantly from? What are your features/characteristics? Have you been told you are Black Dutch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 10:40 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,484,018 times
Have you checked out the Melungeon DNA Project?

Jack Goins

Old 03-24-2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Have you checked out the Melungeon DNA Project?

Jack Goins
I ran across something about it, but I haven't had time to take a good look at it yet. I thought I'd start by seeing if there was anyone around here.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:48 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,484,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka View Post
I ran across something about it, but I haven't had time to take a good look at it yet. I thought I'd start by seeing if there was anyone around here.
I haven't come across anyone on here yet mentioning Melungeon ancestry so it will be interesting if someone does come forward. It is an interesting topic

Old 03-25-2011, 01:37 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,380,382 times
Several weeks, maybe a few months ago, there was a very active Thread here about "Black Dutch". I don't remember if it addressed your question.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
Several weeks, maybe a few months ago, there was a very active Thread here about "Black Dutch". I don't remember if it addressed your question.
I asked about Black Dutch a few months back, but I'm not sure that we ever really addressed Melungeon specifically.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:09 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka View Post
I asked about Black Dutch a few months back, but I'm not sure that we ever really addressed Melungeon specifically.
Wikipedia gives this definition: "Melungeon is a term traditionally applied to one of a number of "tri-racial isolate" groups of the Southeastern U.S., mainly in the Cumberland Gap area of Appalachia. Tri-racial describes populations thought to be of mixed European, sub-Saharan African and Native American ancestry. Although there is no consensus on how many such groups exist, estimates range as high as 200."

There seems to be a great deal of fuzziness about the topic, and not clear agreement on how many groups there are. I wondered myself if the term includes what used to be called Redbone people.

This is the link to the Melungion Heritage Society website Welcome to the Melungeon Heritage Association Website | Melungeon Heritage Association

Last edited by kevxu; 03-25-2011 at 04:18 PM..

Old 03-27-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Wikipedia gives this definition: "Melungeon is a term traditionally applied to one of a number of "tri-racial isolate" groups of the Southeastern U.S., mainly in the Cumberland Gap area of Appalachia. Tri-racial describes populations thought to be of mixed European, sub-Saharan African and Native American ancestry. Although there is no consensus on how many such groups exist, estimates range as high as 200."

There seems to be a great deal of fuzziness about the topic, and not clear agreement on how many groups there are. I wondered myself if the term includes what used to be called Redbone people.

This is the link to the Melungion Heritage Society website Welcome to the Melungeon Heritage Association Website | Melungeon Heritage Association
Thank you. I have seen much of what the internet has to offer on this subject. I'm looking for actual people with this ancestory.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:43 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,473,742 times
I have heard of them and I think they are from a very impoverished area so they probably don't have access to computers. Most of them, from what I've heard, stay in that area.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
I have heard of them and I think they are from a very impoverished area so they probably don't have access to computers. Most of them, from what I've heard, stay in that area.
Hmmm... surely there have been some, over the years, that have escaped the grip of the impoverished Appalachia region?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy