U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 03:56 PM

1,874 posts, read 6,884,336 times

Advertisements

I have only been doing this a few weeks. Everything I have found so far has been off Ancestry.com. I am a bit stuck. I have enquired with other people who seem to be researching the same family by emailing them on ancestry and have had no responses. I notice on some search engines that some of the pages I am finding have not been visited since 08. Questions......

1. I have been able to go back to my 5X Grt Grandfather. But I have come up at a dead end on ancestry as to who his parents are. It appears someone added the county and state he was born in in 1756. Would my next move to contact the archives of that county?

2. What other sites are good resources? I am finding ancestry difficult to use personally. I found my 5X Great Grandfathers wifes name and I clicked on something at one point that listed her parents names it even said her parents were married in Kent, England and I thought I had saved it to my tree but now that info is not appearing and I can't seem to retrieve it. Please tell me there is an easier sytsem/way!!!

3. In general what was the best advice you were given when you started? I need some! I keep hitting a lot of dead ends it seems.

Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 10:00 PM

2,807 posts, read 5,547,760 times
Best advice...do NOT rely solely on the information you gather from others. Use it as a guideline, but unless they are willing or able to provide you with copies of primary documentation, such as birth, marriage and death records, you need to aquire these records yourself to verify.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:52 AM

23,270 posts, read 28,068,309 times
Welcome to a fascinating hobby!

Be prepared for information overload. As you have already discovered, documenting where you get your information is essential.

Do you have a genealogy software program? If not, get one. Trying to do it with paper is very difficult, and you do not want to entrust your tree solely to ancestry.com.

I trust that you have pumped your family members for as much information as they are able to provide. If not, do it now! The old folks can be goldmines, but as Cyanna has told you, verify everything. Ask if anyone has old letters and photographs. Yes, you will want to see original documents, including marriage licenses and death certificates. You will want to hunt for estate records, deeds, church records.

Your hunt can take you to court houses, cemeteries, and state and national archives.

Check with the library near where you live. It may have a genealogy section that has information from other communities and states and a librarian who will be eager to help you.

A good place to start is with the census records. Ancestry.com does a pretty good job with those and is improving its searches. That will give you a good start.

And by the way, you do know you have 64 five times great grandfathers, don't you?

Enjoy the hunt!

Old 03-29-2011, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Welcome to a fascinating hobby!

And by the way, you do know you have 64 five times great grandfathers, don't you?

Enjoy the hunt!
You are going to have to explain that one to me Thanks for the info. Sadly the old folks in my family have all passed on. The stories are varied. An example is I remember my father telling us we were related to General Hood who fought in the Civil War. My sister says it was Robin Hood (as in the Prince of Thieves) LOL! If nothing else we laugh!

Old 03-29-2011, 08:16 AM
bjh

30,249 posts, read 23,697,458 times
Page down:

Number of Ancestors in a Given Generation Back

The numbers are not adjusted for the reality of fewer people in the world in the past, but it is illuminating.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:49 AM

23,270 posts, read 28,068,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
You are going to have to explain that one to me Thanks for the info. Sadly the old folks in my family have all passed on. The stories are varied. An example is I remember my father telling us we were related to General Hood who fought in the Civil War. My sister says it was Robin Hood (as in the Prince of Thieves) LOL! If nothing else we laugh!
Don't forget your mother's line, too! Each person in your tree has 2 parents:

1 father
2 grandfathers
4 great grandfathers
8 two times great grandfathers
16 three times great grandfathers
32 four times great grandfathers, and
64 five times great grandfathers

When you add the maternal lines, you end up with 128 people in the 5 times great generation, and it continues to double with each generation. That's why you need to use your computer to keep up with all the facts you discover.

I have only been researching a few years, but I have pretty well documented back to the 3 times great generation. After that, the gaps begin.

Don't forget to ask relatives about family Bibles. Sometimes you get births, deaths, and marriages that way.

Edited to add: I am fortunate that most of my recent ancestors lived pretty close to where I do now.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 03-29-2011 at 08:57 AM..

Old 03-29-2011, 12:47 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,013,351 times
Quote:
Your sister is probably about as right as your Father. Lots of older people like to pass along mythological relationships with famous people just because they heard it from another family member. The civil war's not that far back so should be pretty easy to knock that one down. Robin Hood (though that's not his real name) would be more of a challenge, as would Little Red Riding Hood.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Your sister is probably about as right as your Father. Lots of older people like to pass along mythological relationships with famous people just because they heard it from another family member. The civil war's not that far back so should be pretty easy to knock that one down. Robin Hood (though that's not his real name) would be more of a challenge, as would Little Red Riding Hood.
The joke is my sister is a nut Actually it looks like we were related to Hood. So I guess my dad was right. I had a relative who married his brother it looks like. Just touching on that now. So not a direct line or anything but a relation just the same. I am just trying to go back as directly as possible at this point. I am not even touching on all the stories we have of "who" we were related to etc. So far my fathers fathers side has been easiest to trace. My fathers mothers side I have already hit a glitch and my moms family is a complete mess. I can't get anywhere there.......ugh!

Old 03-29-2011, 02:25 PM

2,807 posts, read 5,547,760 times
Some legends claim that my 24th Great-Grandfather, David of Huntington, was the basis for the real Robin Hood.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:05 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,013,351 times
Quote:
So I guess my dad was right. I had a relative who married his brother it looks like. Just touching on that now. So not a direct line or anything but a relation just the same. I am just trying to go back as directly as possible at this point.
Actually I've found the most interesting characters in my family tree were more often siblings of a direct ancestor. They count. I normally refer to them as "Uncle Joe" or "Aunt Sue" even though they may be a 5xgreat aunt or uncle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy