U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2011, 02:29 PM

959 posts, read 1,114,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomName958 View Post
Race is way of classifying people based on genetics. This is pretty clear cut when you have two parents of the same race, but gets subjective when you have different races involved. For example, everyone thinks of Obama as black, but he's also half white.

Ethnicity includes race as a factor, but also includes cultural differences. In China, you'll find people of the same race with different cultures and dialects. They are considered to be of different ethnicities, despite being the same race.

Nationality is the country where you were born. Your parents could both be from Mexico, but if you were born in America, you are an American.

You can have multiple affiliations depending how you look at it. But to answer your specific question, I would list hispanic as your race. Just keep in mind that it's subjective. So there's not one correct answer.

The reason most people see Obama as Black is because he looks like many lightskin Blacks who have 2 Black parents.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 02:57 AM

394 posts, read 1,296,296 times
Through our history, the U.S. has had that "one drop" rule that says if you have one drop of African blood, you're black. What about all the other drops? Never did make much sense to me. I have African blood on my paternal mother's side, but I'm also mixed with European, Pacific Islander, and Asian blood, so I just consider myself "brown".

Old 05-11-2011, 07:11 AM

14,131 posts, read 26,250,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalCat View Post
Through our history, the U.S. has had that "one drop" rule that says if you have one drop of African blood, you're black.
Thankfully that thinking has died along with Jim Crow and laws on inter-racial marriage. You are what you consider yourself now.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:18 PM

24,757 posts, read 32,902,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Thankfully that thinking has died along with Jim Crow and laws on inter-racial marriage. You are what you consider yourself now.
Shoot. Now I can consider myself Chinese because my great-great-grandfather was. WOO!

Old 05-14-2011, 10:22 AM

3,491 posts, read 5,292,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomName958 View Post
Race is way of classifying people based on genetics. This is pretty clear cut when you have two parents of the same race, but gets subjective when you have different races involved. For example, everyone thinks of Obama as black, but he's also half white.

Ethnicity includes race as a factor, but also includes cultural differences. In China, you'll find people of the same race with different cultures and dialects. They are considered to be of different ethnicities, despite being the same race.

Nationality is the country where you were born. Your parents could both be from Mexico, but if you were born in America, you are an American.

You can have multiple affiliations depending how you look at it. But to answer your specific question, I would list hispanic as your race. Just keep in mind that it's subjective. So there's not one correct answer.
I agree. The reverse of your China example is also true -- there are many places in the world where people of different racial backgrounds share a common ethnicity.

I also submit that there is another category -- regionality. People of different racial and ethnic backgrounds who have lived in proximity to one another for a long time frequently develop their own unique regional "mini-culture" including, in many cases, a unique cuisine. South Louisiana serves as one example. People who have spent a lot of time in the region will agree that it has its own unique mini-culture, and we all know about "Louisiana cooking." A lot of us assume that it is synonymous with "Cajun cooking." Not so.

"Louisiana cooking" is the result of blending French, Spanish, African and American Indian cooking into a unique style. For example, one of the best-known foods is Jambalaya (actually more a style of cooking than a specific dish). It is mostly, though not entirely, of Creole origin. It clearly shows the influence of Spanish cuisine, because it is very much like Paella. Another famous Louisiana dish is Gumbo, of which there are two styles. The word "gumbo" originates from the African - possibly Swahili - word "yumbo", which means okra, and of course okra is a key ingredient and thickening agent for one style of gumbo.

The other style is called File' ("FEE-lay") Gumbo. It uses an ingredient called File' as its thickening agent, which is nothing more than the dried and finely ground leaves of the Sassafras tree. Said tree is indigenous to the eastern US, where my ancestors the Choctaw learned to make File' from its leaves and sassafras tea from its roots. Sassafras tea used to the key ingredient in -- ROOT BEER.

Well, that's enough from the more-than-you-ever-wanted-to-know department.

-- Nighteyes

Old 05-29-2011, 09:23 AM

6,415 posts, read 10,037,563 times
Nationality is not a matter of the country in which you were born, it's the country in which you are a citizen. Unless you're a dual citizen of two countries, you have only one nationality.

Ethnicity can refer to any kind of a group that associates together. The association can come from any kind of association. It can be religious, nationality, racial, cultural, or whatever. You can belong to any number of ethnic groups.

Race is a genetic, scientific classification. You can be multi-racial.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:38 PM

15,148 posts, read 15,204,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberroseMI View Post
Your race would be Caucasian technically. Your ethnicity would be whatever countries your ancestors originate from. And nationality is the country you were born in.
I think nationality is the country you are currently a citizen of????

Old 06-01-2011, 01:11 AM

2,442 posts, read 4,874,004 times
Ethnicity is cultural. Hispanic is an ethnicity. Hispanic people share the languages and many cultural traits which originated from the Iberian Peninsula. That is Spain, Portugal and France, for the geographically challenged. However, France is usually excluded.

Race is based on phenotype, or what you look like. Phenotype is a matter of gene expression, of course. But genetics and race don't always work the way you think they do. Haplogroups are an example.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:38 PM

83 posts, read 236,970 times
Race- Caucasian, African-American, etc

Ethnicity- wherever your ancestors came from

Nationality- the country you're from

Old 06-13-2011, 08:07 PM

24,757 posts, read 32,902,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Race- Caucasian, African-American, etc

Ethnicity- wherever your ancestors came from

Nationality- the country you're from
African-American is most certainly not a racial category. It is an ethnic category for people of a certain African-descended culture in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy