U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2011, 01:22 PM

1 posts, read 417,595 times

Advertisements

I always see things on papers I fill out, that ask for my race, and I don't always know what to put. My mom tells me that Im Mexican but I was once told that Mexican is a nationality so I should put Hispanic as my race. Then my dad turns around and tells me that hispanic is an Ethnicity. then for a while I just decided to leave that spot blank on paper work. what would be the answer to this question?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 02:13 PM

366 posts, read 1,068,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexceleste View Post
I always see things on papers I fill out, that ask for my race, and I don't always know what to put. My mom tells me that Im Mexican but I was once told that Mexican is a nationality so I should put Hispanic as my race. Then my dad turns around and tells me that hispanic is an Ethnicity. then for a while I just decided to leave that spot blank on paper work. what would be the answer to this question?
Race is way of classifying people based on genetics. This is pretty clear cut when you have two parents of the same race, but gets subjective when you have different races involved. For example, everyone thinks of Obama as black, but he's also half white.

Ethnicity includes race as a factor, but also includes cultural differences. In China, you'll find people of the same race with different cultures and dialects. They are considered to be of different ethnicities, despite being the same race.

Nationality is the country where you were born. Your parents could both be from Mexico, but if you were born in America, you are an American.

You can have multiple affiliations depending how you look at it. But to answer your specific question, I would list hispanic as your race. Just keep in mind that it's subjective. So there's not one correct answer.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:51 PM
N8!

2,409 posts, read 4,428,683 times
I just put New Mexican.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:47 PM

261 posts, read 1,162,378 times
Your race would be Caucasian technically. Your ethnicity would be whatever countries your ancestors originate from. And nationality is the country you were born in.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:26 PM

430 posts, read 1,395,262 times
Ethnicity is your ethnic background = Spanish, Korean, French

Race is way United States rationalizes ethnic backgrounds in groups such as "Hispanic" which can mean "Spanish, Cuban, Mexican" etc. when in reality, a race more to be something like "the human race" Some other races are something like Asian. Caucasion

nationality is where you are from. You can have a spanish background, and be apart of the Hispanic race, but if you are from America, than your nationality would be "American"

Old 04-25-2011, 08:46 PM

24,757 posts, read 32,891,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomName958 View Post
Race is way of classifying people based on genetics. This is pretty clear cut when you have two parents of the same race, but gets subjective when you have different races involved. For example, everyone thinks of Obama as black, but he's also half white.

Ethnicity includes race as a factor, but also includes cultural differences. In China, you'll find people of the same race with different cultures and dialects. They are considered to be of different ethnicities, despite being the same race.

Nationality is the country where you were born. Your parents could both be from Mexico, but if you were born in America, you are an American.

You can have multiple affiliations depending how you look at it. But to answer your specific question, I would list hispanic as your race. Just keep in mind that it's subjective. So there's not one correct answer.
You neglected to point out that Hispanic is not a race, and the government does not ask people to list it as a race. If you want to look at it according to the Census, you can list native American, black, white, Asian, Asian Indian, Pacific Islander, any combination of any of the above, and/or Other Race as your race. Then they ask for Hispanic ethnicity as a separate category; there you either say you are Hispanic or you are not, NO MATTER WHAT YOUR RACE IS. Hispanic is not a race. You can be black, Native American or Asian and still be Hispanic.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberroseMI View Post
Your race would be Caucasian technically. Your ethnicity would be whatever countries your ancestors originate from. And nationality is the country you were born in.
You know this person is Mexican. You have no idea whether or not he is Caucasian. Most Mexicans are in fact not Caucasian.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:31 PM

261 posts, read 1,162,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
You know this person is Mexican. You have no idea whether or not he is Caucasian. Most Mexicans are in fact not Caucasian.
Yeah I know, I forgot to mention that I didn't know if he was indigenous or of some other ethnic background, but since he was referring to himself as 'Hispanic', and if he truly is Hispanic, then he would be Caucasian.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:52 AM

50 posts, read 413,799 times
Race is a system recently invented in the past couple centuries to classify people based on arbritary measures usually skin color, hair type, lips etc. Truth is, it varies wherever you go based on that places history. Kind of like Black, WHite, etc.

Ethnicity is an actualy genetic grouping based on your geographic location such as West African, Han Chinese, etc.

Nationality is the Nation State that you recognize as being born under (note I said recognize because there's many disputes around the world and people may say different things, someone may feel Texas to be part of mexico for example).

It's all pure bs at da end of the day but do you./

Old 04-26-2011, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxLoc View Post
Race is a system recently invented in the past couple centuries to classify people based on arbritary measures usually skin color, hair type, lips etc. Truth is, it varies wherever you go based on that places history. Kind of like Black, WHite, etc.

Ethnicity is an actualy genetic grouping based on your geographic location such as West African, Han Chinese, etc.

Nationality is the Nation State that you recognize as being born under (note I said recognize because there's many disputes around the world and people may say different things, someone may feel Texas to be part of mexico for example).

It's all pure bs at da end of the day but do you./
I would say it is cultural rather than genetic. There are ethnic groups that vary greatly from a genetic perspective (Brazilians, African Americans, etc.) but share largely the same culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy