U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 08:16 PM

14,141 posts, read 15,283,659 times
Default Ancestry View Famous Relatives Feature

Am curious what folks think of the new view famous relatives feature on ancestry.com. I tried it and found it very interesting until I noticed that almost all included bogus or suspect links between me and these famous people. Wonder how many gullible people will get sucked in and start crowing about all these noted figures they're supposedly related to. It made me dislike the people who make up their genealogy even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 09:10 PM

4,525 posts, read 5,836,671 times
I thought it was fun, but not really relevant to my searches.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:06 AM
bjh

20,094 posts, read 11,418,432 times
In time this phony baloney stuff will make genealogy less popular.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:52 AM

4,845 posts, read 2,882,618 times
I can never get it to work. I get a message that says:

The find famous relatives feature is only available to users who previously connected an individual in their tree with an individual in OneWorldTree. The connection feature is no longer available. If you have not previously created the connection between your tree and OneWorldTree, you will not be able to use the "find famous relatives" feature.
If you have connected your tree previously and you're viewing this message, it's possible we haven't found any connections for the person you're viewing.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:28 AM

16,623 posts, read 13,373,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
I can never get it to work. I get a message that says:

The find famous relatives feature is only available to users who previously connected an individual in their tree with an individual in OneWorldTree. The connection feature is no longer available. If you have not previously created the connection between your tree and OneWorldTree, you will not be able to use the "find famous relatives" feature.
If you have connected your tree previously and you're viewing this message, it's possible we haven't found any connections for the person you're viewing.

This is what happened to me.

I created one tree, and it connected me to the "One World Tree." Once I got to the parents and grandparents of the Civil War generation, I started speeding through, not verifying much in terms of accuracy. Ancestry.com makes it a serious pain to remove people if you make a mistake -- so in time i deleted my whole tree, and started over.

I created a second tree that i've been meticulous with, and it never connected me into the "one world tree" again.

I question the accuracy of the "one world tree" and famous relative finder. It told me I was 6th cousins with George W. Bush (and his father), and that I'm related to Mark Twain as well. I don't believe any of that. I admit I find the feature interesting, but there must have been some reason it was canceled.

Last edited by le roi; 04-27-2011 at 09:07 AM..

Old 04-27-2011, 08:42 AM

4,845 posts, read 2,882,618 times
I think Ancestry actually removed the "One World Tree" feature because it was so riddled with inaccuracies, like you stated you apparently had.

I've found that now I have a very fleshed out tree, transferring it to Family Tree Maker (software) has made it easier to delete duplicates and get things more organized. You can also make prinouts and copies more easily.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
I think Ancestry actually removed the "One World Tree" feature because it was so riddled with inaccuracies, like you stated you apparently had.
I suspect that many of their accuracies are due to their attempts to digitize paper records.

They do a surprisingly good job, but even still, there are too many errors.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:29 AM

6,415 posts, read 5,136,044 times
That feature has been around a long time, so I don't know if there have been any changes to it. But ... it's just like all of the linked lineage databases. It's as good as the junk that people put in to it.

I think it's just one of those things that Ancestry does to try and reel in non-genealogists. Problem is, they'll probably just add more to the junk databases.

As far as that message -- it's just basically telling you that they can't find a connection to anyone "famous" from your database.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
As far as that message -- it's just basically telling you that they can't find a connection to anyone "famous" from your database.
No, I don't think so. I am positive that it is a feature they once had 2 or 3 years ago, that they turned off. They no longer attempt to connect you with the database, or allow it.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:31 PM

2,459 posts, read 3,286,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
No, I don't think so. I am positive that it is a feature they once had 2 or 3 years ago, that they turned off. They no longer attempt to connect you with the database, or allow it.
Not true. I had looked at the Link several years ago and after reading this Thread tonight decided to look again. It's still there and there are at least two disclaimers which implies; garbage in garbage out so use it for what it's worth. I found it to be an interesting read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy