U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 07:25 PM

744 posts, read 533,447 times
Five generations ago there was one Native American woman who married my first Irish ancestor in the USA. She was Lakota from SD. Of course I don't consider myself part of any Native American tribe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 02:17 AM

10,408 posts, read 5,752,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayah(812) View Post
Of course I don't consider myself part of any Native American tribe.
That's good, because they don't consider you a member of their tribe either, and legally, you aren't, unless you register and get a tribal ID card.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:03 PM

135 posts, read 178,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
That's good, because they don't consider you a member of their tribe either, and legally, you aren't, unless you register and get a tribal ID card.

Now that is bull****e, you don't need a CDIB to be First Nation, but you do need one in certain instances. How many of us go around asking each other to show our CDIB? *smh*

Old 06-25-2011, 08:30 PM

55 posts, read 136,404 times
My grandmother is full blooded Wayuu (Colombian N8v). I also have some Taino heritage from mother.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:51 PM

55 posts, read 136,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
That, my friend, is what is known as a sweeping generalization or an absolute. Just like other sweeping generalizations/absolutes, it simply is not true as written.
Actually it is true. Despite what white people might tell you because of the things they hear from their parents or grandparents, most of them don't have any Native blood. Most Americans in general, black or white, have little or no Native in them. I can't tell you how many white people I know who swore up and down they had a Native grandmother somewhere down the line, only to find out it was just a family myth.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:17 AM

2,625 posts, read 3,269,515 times
I'm 1/8 Lenni Lenape from Southern New Jersey and also have Montauk and Mohawk from New York.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:36 PM

1 posts, read 881 times
My daughters father is a native american. How do I find what tribe she possibly blongs to. All I realy have is his name and his SS number. any kind of help would be nice. thank you

Old 10-17-2011, 07:23 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,291,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josray View Post
My daughters father is a native american. How do I find what tribe she possibly blongs to. All I realy have is his name and his SS number. any kind of help would be nice. thank you
Sorry, but I don't think you have nearly enough information. When it comes to current genealogy, names don't mean much. SS numbers mean even less.

I suspect the only real way is to ask the father or a member of his family. From your post I'm guessing this isn't an option.

Condolences, and best wishes,

-- Nighteyes

Old 10-17-2011, 09:35 PM

5,128 posts, read 7,223,243 times
Carib!

Old 10-17-2011, 09:38 PM

9,929 posts, read 5,145,660 times
I just found out, in the last two months, that my great, great grandmother and great grandmother were Choctaw Indians.

I had no idea!

I don't know anything about them with exception that the family all lived in the OK area at the time.

I don't know what that makes me...what like 1/16th or even less but apparently I've got some Indian blood in me even if it's not much. Kind of fascinating to me and sure does answer some questions about some beliefs I have that were never taught to me.

Am trying to learn as much as I can but sure would love some more information if anyone knows anything.

Edit: So now we are talking about names to prove anything...sigh.

Ok, great, great grandmother went by the name: Arrie

Great grandmother went by the name: "Fannie" Siotha

Grandmother went by the name of: Wonema

And no, it's not a "myth". Correction though, Arrie lived in GA area before moving, Siotha lived in AR before moving and Wonema came from OK.

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 10-17-2011 at 09:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy