U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 11:01 AM

83 posts, read 248,548 times
Default What Indian tribe do you belong to?

And in what state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 04:13 PM

6,987 posts, read 12,553,970 times
My blood lines go back to the original Taino Indians that inhabited La Hispaniola before Columbus screwed everything up.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:40 PM

24,931 posts, read 11,074,334 times
Hello Tigerblood. I kind of noticed that too. To the OP, I think there are quite a few tribes represented over on the Oklahoma forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
How can you tell the race of the people posting the questions?
You can tell what race is NOT posting the questions, I suppose. A Native would not be starting these threads. Most of us Natives have seen these same questions and discussions a hundred times over. But that's cool. I have always found it easier to address the questions by people who were not raised around NDNs as a way of educating people. Believe me, I have been around some pretty derogatory discussions posed by Non-natives. And to be honest, I have just as little knowledge of... let's say... New Jersey culture.

Even here in OK where the public schools are pretty close to 20% Native American and as high as 50%, there is still a need for Native American studies.

As a child in the second grade, I remember hearing a school mate say there were no more Indians.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:23 PM

2,672 posts, read 1,534,465 times
Okay, tonyman, I'll answer, but will you return the gesture by telling us to which tribe you belong, or once belonged, and where from where you hail?

I'm Mvskoke, aka, Muscogee, aka "Creek". Raised in Oklahoma and live there now, but also lived on Northern Cheyenne rez in the summers. Went to school there for a few months, too. My neices and nephews, who live in serveral places in the PNW are Northern Cheyenne, Umatilla, Yakima, and Muscogee.

What does this have to do with geneology? Shouldn't this be on a different thread?

Old 05-11-2011, 02:46 AM

392 posts, read 723,546 times
Some of my ancestors are Taino, from Puerto Rico. I'm only starting to learn about them.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:07 PM

6,415 posts, read 5,221,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
You can tell what race is NOT posting the questions, I suppose. A Native would not be starting these threads.
I don't think anyone can even say that, definitively. If you don't want people to make bad assumptions about any group of people, you can't promote the opposite, that any good assumptions apply to an entire group of people.

People are people, and in groups or out of them, there are good and bad, ignorant and educated, etc.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:38 AM

1,829 posts, read 1,954,357 times
My grandmother was Modoc, the tribe I belong to is Klamath Indian in Southern Oregon. The Modoc and Klamath Indians are two different tribes, but they came together along wiht the Yahooskin to form the Klamath Indian Tribes.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:06 AM

1,286 posts, read 555,136 times
As a white person who has family members on the Dawes Roll, I think some of us would just like to know more than they teach us in school about First Nations life, and the life we will never know now because it was not passed down to us.

What redbird said,
Quote:
As a child in the second grade, I remember hearing a school mate say there were no more Indians.
I am a true mutt, with some relatives who came over on the boat, and some relatives who met the boat at the shore. My father, who walked out in my infancy, could read and write Tsalagi (Cherokee). I cannot speak Yiddish, as my great-gramdmother did. I do not know what it means to be Irish, Scottish, or Welsh, all of which make up my ethnic background.

I do know what it means to be a mutt, with no visible identity, assimilated to the core, and looking like everyone else walking down the street. Sometimes I just seek identity and connection. Maybe this is true for some others as well.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:27 AM

24,931 posts, read 11,074,334 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone can even say that, definitively.
Actually, I can say that definitively. Maybe you misunderstood my reasoning for my response. The analogy would be me posing the question, "When did you find out your ancestors were from Africa?" to a room full of African Americans. That's why I said a Native would not be starting some of these threads one sees on the genealogy forum.

The questions posed on threads I was referring to are normally asked by people who have ~some~ degree of Native American ancestry vs those of us who are living ~in~ an NDN community.

Quote:
If you don't want people to make bad assumptions about any group of people, you can't promote the opposite, that any good assumptions apply to an entire group of people.

People are people, and in groups or out of them, there are good and bad, ignorant and educated, etc.
I agree. But where did I say anything different?

My response was related to Tiger Blood's comment. Again, it is nothing new to us. We have Germans coming to southwest Oklahoma to see "real" NDN's and visit with elders of our tribe.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:41 PM

83 posts, read 130,488 times
My grandma is a full blooded Algonquin from Ontario. She married a Québecer and my mom and uncle were born in Montréal. I was born in Varennes, just off the island.

My dad is full French and from Paris.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy