Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2011, 06:57 PM

65 posts, read 92,496 times

Advertisements

My family moved alot when I was a kid. (I went to over 20 schools from first grade to graduation of high school, across many states .) Does anyone know how to track down old addresses of where someone used to live? Or tracking down old schools or old school records. I'm talking about a timeline within the last fifty years. IDEAS ANYONE?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 10:16 AM
bjh

59,707 posts, read 30,164,765 times
Memories from yourself and family members?

Once you remember a school name, you may be able to discover an address.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:04 PM

36,960 posts, read 40,898,119 times
Within the last 50 years there should be telephone books and

perhaps city directories, some of which ancestry.com has

online. Local libraries may also have directories and school

yearbooks. You could check with the administrative offices

of the school districts to see who might have yearbooks.

Look for old friends on social network sites like Facebook.

And there is also google: just search for the names of

people you are interested in.

If you moved so frequently because a parent was in the

military, that parent's records may include info about where

she or he was stationed.

Other family members may be into genealogy and have info to

help.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:09 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,086,532 times
School Districts, once you identify them, will probably still have records, and may allow you access. Newspapers, especially if they're smaller towns, will often list home addresses when identifying people.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:21 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,101,930 times
The school records in the US 50-years ago contained the student name, parents name, contact information, home address and home phone number. If you transfered and from where; they had to have school records from the previous school, medical records, etc..

I moved a lot when I was a kid too. I don't remember the names of the schools much before age 7, but I know the states and ciites where I lived.

Start at what you know and work backwards one school at a time, one town at a time, one state at at a time. Try your local library first. They can probably find every phone book in America.

Good Luck!

Old 06-18-2011, 06:25 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,245,000 times
The school system of the high school you graduated from should have your cummulative folder (permanent record). Granted, it will be in storage and they will use every excuse possible to not dig it out for you. They cannot prevent you from seeing it and it will have home addresses for the places you lived as well as a copy of your birth certificate and immunization records. They will try to prevent you from getting it, if only because it is alot of trouble to find.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:07 PM

2,855 posts, read 6,455,419 times
For old addresses try Zabasearch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy