U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2011, 07:08 PM

10,024 posts, read 10,133,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeLee77 View Post
Okay, so I am so annoyed everyday of my life, being asked what ethnicity I am (why i look the way that i do) and then having difficulty explaining it. First of all, i am from an appalachian region. Most people in appalachia are pale, green/blue eyed, normal irish/english or german looking ancestry. I am pale, green eyed, obviously white/scottish/german/whatever. HOWEVER, my grandmother looks mongolian, or hawaiian yet with higher cheekbones /more slanted eyes, or even maybe half korean. She is not asian in any way, we do not even have many asians in appalachia from what I have seen. My grandmother has 7 children, half of them look completely asian mixed (very slanted eyes), the other half look slavic....(like me)....half mongolian with very light eyes. I was so annoyed that I took a blood test which determined me to be 90% european, with a window of 5-10% indigneous tribe(native american). Obviously 5% is not alot, so why do i have asian/indian features...but white/green eyed? What could explain this very strong mongolian look that has persisted in such a low percentage of native american?
I know for 100% sure that my family is pure Scottish. Some of us look Asian enough for natives to ask us "What tribe are you from"? when we go to a pow wow. I had a lady that owned a Thai place absolutely disbelieve me when I told her I have no Asian blood.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 12:13 PM

4,469 posts, read 6,159,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarddawg View Post
Part of my native ancestry is close enough to remember, 3/16 Cherokee that I can document and I also have ancestors from southwest Virginia and southeast Kentucky that were reputed to be "part indian" but I don't know what tribe or if they were covering for something else.

As far as what I say when someone asks my ethnicity - I usually go with "southern Appalachian mutt". It's short and quick and if they want a more detailed answer they can ask.
"Part Indian" can often be code for Melungeon (or Carmel Indian or Redbone or a couple of other designations, depending on which part of Appalachia). It was also a handy way to explain mulatto in a more socially acceptable context. Often people will show up on a census in one location as children, designated "mulatto", and then suddenly turn up part Indian or even white in a new location a few years later. Sometimes that's just sloppy genealogy, but often it was because people decided to "pass".

I grew up in the fifties and sixties hearing what I thought were joking allusions from older relatives about there being "one in the woodpile" (and you may insert whatever ethnic slur seems appropriate into that sentence; some of my relatives were very much a product of their times and locale). Who knew they weren't kidding? Shocked my (very prejudiced) mother to no end when I dug around in that woodpile and discovered my dad's uncle was correct. It explains the shovel teeth and Anatolian bump, anyway.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:15 PM

4,469 posts, read 6,159,738 times
Quote:
That photo of the melungeuns definitely does not look like my family.
My family doesn't look particularly Melungeon either. They're there, though, hidden underneath a bunch of Welshmen, Irishmen and Scots.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:21 AM

17,566 posts, read 21,741,355 times
My father's side of the family is Celtic. He has almond shaped blue eyes and high cheekbones. Hair colors vary from blond to medium brown, with an occasional red head. Eye colors are a mixture, from blue to brown with many having green or hazel eyes, fair skin and freckles.

One of my sisters has brown hair pale skin, high cheek bones and a button nose. Her eyes are hazel and almond in shape. She has been mistaken for Eurasian or Asian on many occasions.

If anyone has ever seen a picture of the Icelandic singer Bjork, she looks a lot like my sister. Iceland was invaded by Celtic people and the Celts were invaded by Asians.
I have seen many people, especially of Irish decent with this "Irish-Asian" look.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:21 AM

2,178 posts, read 4,709,618 times
Quote:
Okay, so I am so annoyed everyday of my life, being asked what ethnicity I am (why i look the way that i do) and then having difficulty explaining it. First of all, i am from an appalachian region. Most people in appalachia are pale, green/blue eyed, normal irish/english or german looking ancestry. I am pale, green eyed, obviously white/scottish/german/whatever. HOWEVER, my grandmother looks mongolian, or hawaiian yet with higher cheekbones /more slanted eyes, or even maybe half korean. She is not asian in any way, we do not even have many asians in appalachia from what I have seen. My grandmother has 7 children, half of them look completely asian mixed (very slanted eyes), the other half look slavic....(like me)....half mongolian with very light eyes. I was so annoyed that I took a blood test which determined me to be 90% european, with a window of 5-10% indigneous tribe(native american). Obviously 5% is not alot, so why do i have asian/indian features...but white/green eyed? What could explain this very strong mongolian look that has persisted in such a low percentage of native american?

Could it be an American Indian gene in there... like Cherokee? Maybe?

My children are the tiniest bit Cherokee & sometimes people reveal the wrong impressions about their heritage. My daughter is mistaken for Hispanic & my son for part Asian.

I don't think I have a drop of tribal blood & I get mistaken for Hispanic with my eye & hair color... I'm of northern European descent but my Germanic features are very common & I do look similar to people from South America who have mixed German lineage.

However, not one of us is questioned on a daily basis. I think it's really cool you could take a test to see about your lineage. I wish I could do that. Was it very expensive?

Last edited by sarahkate_m; 07-27-2011 at 04:36 AM..

Old 08-02-2011, 09:16 AM

2,776 posts, read 6,964,466 times
Of course we all tend to forget that no one "race" has a monopoly on particular features. There are full-lipped Irishmen, kinky-haired Asian, and narrow-nosed Africans.

Be proud to be of the human race and still surviving all the adversity life can throw at you. You will then be a hero to your descendants no matter what they look like.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:23 PM

455 posts, read 839,969 times
This may help: Melungeon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia States the Melungeon are probably mixed European, African American and Native American.

Old 08-22-2011, 04:16 PM

6,468 posts, read 11,151,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate_m View Post
However, not one of us is questioned on a daily basis. I think it's really cool you could take a test to see about your lineage. I wish I could do that. Was it very expensive?
Ancestral Origins DNA Ancestry and Genealogy Testing

$130 a test. You might be able to get them cheaper if you look around. I just picked the first Google result.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:28 PM

3,074 posts, read 3,974,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
My father's side of the family is Celtic. He has almond shaped blue eyes and high cheekbones. Hair colors vary from blond to medium brown, with an occasional red head. Eye colors are a mixture, from blue to brown with many having green or hazel eyes, fair skin and freckles.

One of my sisters has brown hair pale skin, high cheek bones and a button nose. Her eyes are hazel and almond in shape. She has been mistaken for Eurasian or Asian on many occasions.

If anyone has ever seen a picture of the Icelandic singer Bjork, she looks a lot like my sister. Iceland was invaded by Celtic people and the Celts were invaded by Asians.
I have seen many people, especially of Irish decent with this "Irish-Asian" look.
Then you can throw into the mix the "Dark Irish" which was a result of the Spaniards who shipwrecked on the Irish coast after their "Armada" was defeated by Queen Elizabeth. Many stayed in Ireland and bred with the locals adding another bloodline.
PBS did a great show on Irish Origins and displayed old pictures of the "Celts" which showed many eurasian looking denizens. I would certainly like to know more about the Gaelic races and language origins of the "Runes", etc. from anyone who has more knowledge on the subject than I do.
When the Irish speak gaelic it sure does not sound like chinese to me.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:53 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,440,508 times
Comes from too much in-breeding, and marrying your sister.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy