U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 07:14 PM

9,750 posts, read 21,001,372 times

Advertisements

According to DNA research East Asians, Europeans, and Middle Eastern peoples are all closely related. But it does seem like many White Appalachians have features that look more Asian than Whites in other places. I guess more Native America traces on the family tree could explain it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2019, 04:18 PM

536 posts, read 1,279,798 times
I found this post accidentally as I was searching for information about eye color and Scottish heritage. Recently I discovered I was Scottish and I've been researching everything Scottish.

I was once asked if I was Asian. I do have high cheekbones and almond shaped green/hazel eyes. When I was younger my eyes were more green and as I have aged they have become more hazel. I have light brown hair which used to have some red in it. With age my hair is more brown.

Any way, I found this post of interest.

Thank you!

Old 03-21-2019, 05:15 PM

9,624 posts, read 3,778,624 times
i wonder if the eye formation might not be related to an asian strain at all - but rather, is just a mutation?

I have a friend. She and her husband are german/american descent. Blonde and blue eyed. But he has asian type eyes although his skin is pale pink.

4 of their 5 adult children have that eye shape, and all 10 plus grandchildren have that distinct eye shape.

There doesn't seem to be any asian heritage at all - or at least, not in centuries.

Old 03-21-2019, 05:57 PM

4,444 posts, read 3,693,901 times
Appalachian people who look Mongolian?

I don't know if this has been mentioned but perhaps it could explain what OP means, maybe.

Melungeon is a term traditionally applied to one of numerous "tri-racial isolate" groups of the Southeastern United States. Historically, Melungeons were associated with the Cumberland Gap area of central Appalachia, which includes portions of East Tennessee, Southwest Virginia, and eastern Kentucky.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melungeon

Melungeon DNA Project

The Melungeon DNA Project is a genetic study started in 2005 by the private company Family Tree DNA of people with identified Melungeon ancestors (according to historic records), mostly residing in Hancock County,Tennessee and nearby areas of Kentucky. The Melungeon people are a mixed-race group who married within the group up until about 1900. There was speculation about their identity and ancestry for decades, and many differing accounts of their origins.

This study was started in 2005. Researchers published an article in 2012 summarizing their results. The female ancestors were shown to have had European DNA, while male ancestors had DNA from African or European haplogroups. Only one male had a Native American haplogroup.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melungeon_DNA_Project

Old 03-27-2019, 03:54 AM

873 posts, read 823,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
Appalachian people who look Mongolian?

I don't know if this has been mentioned but perhaps it could explain what OP means, maybe.

Melungeon is a term traditionally applied to one of numerous "tri-racial isolate" groups of the Southeastern United States. Historically, Melungeons were associated with the Cumberland Gap area of central Appalachia, which includes portions of East Tennessee, Southwest Virginia, and eastern Kentucky.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melungeon

Melungeon DNA Project

The Melungeon DNA Project is a genetic study started in 2005 by the private company Family Tree DNA of people with identified Melungeon ancestors (according to historic records), mostly residing in Hancock County,Tennessee and nearby areas of Kentucky. The Melungeon people are a mixed-race group who married within the group up until about 1900. There was speculation about their identity and ancestry for decades, and many differing accounts of their origins.

This study was started in 2005. Researchers published an article in 2012 summarizing their results. The female ancestors were shown to have had European DNA, while male ancestors had DNA from African or European haplogroups. Only one male had a Native American haplogroup.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melungeon_DNA_Project
Sums it up well... Mulengeons are mostly European, a bit of African, and a small drop of Native American. Obviously each individual and their lines being their own unique combination thereof. This all creates various physical traits due to this combination, most are likely European + African combination traits (with some lines having a bit of native DNA thrown in too).

Old 03-27-2019, 06:33 AM

10,396 posts, read 21,109,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
A friend of mine has Czech ancestry on her mother's side, and she was surprised to see photos of her grandmother and grandmother's sisters all looking distinctly Asian. Her mother refused to acknowledge that there was anything unusual about the photos at all, so there was no way to get any information. At this point, she could do a DNA test, and see what turns up.
At My Heritage my Hungarian uncle shows 90.8% East European, 6.9% Italian and 2.3% West Asian

At Ancestry, he shows 86% Eastern Europe and Russia (Poland, Slovakia, Hungary & Romania) and 14% Baltic States (Estonia, Latvia & Lithuania). No Asian.

Old 03-27-2019, 06:35 AM

4,444 posts, read 3,693,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alandros View Post
Sums it up well... Mulengeons are mostly European, a bit of African, and a small drop of Native American. Obviously each individual and their lines being their own unique combination thereof. This all creates various physical traits due to this combination, most are likely European + African combination traits (with some lines having a bit of native DNA thrown in too).
Actually I don't know which genetic lines the people of Appalachia may have in their ancestry but I am sure it is quite varied.

I came across this (Mulungeon) as a possibility many years ago because my mother's people came to America through N. Carolina and made their way north along the eastern seaboard to southwest Virginia (Lee County) and eventually settled in Adair County/Columbia Kentucky.

Although we are generally blonde and blue eyed (we do have some redheads as well) there are ancestors/relatives who are dark skinned, black haired and brown eyed and I originally thought there may be some truth to the family lore of Cherokee blood. To this day I definitely have no clue but due to research I suspect we are Northern European with English, Scots, Welsh, Irish, Germanic etc.

My sister recently did dna testing and although it is entertaining, meh it doesn't matter to me.

Op, try not to obsess so much about it, perhaps consider a dna profile and clear the air for your own satisfaction.

ETA: LOL, Op hasn't been here since 2011...scratch that advice!

Last edited by HomeIsWhere...; 03-27-2019 at 06:44 AM..

Old 03-27-2019, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Actually I don't know which genetic lines the people of Appalachia may have in their ancestry but I am sure it is quite varied.

I came across this (Mulungeon) as a possibility many years ago because my mother's people came to America through N. Carolina and made their way north along the eastern seaboard to southwest Virginia (Lee County) and eventually settled in Adair County/Columbia Kentucky.

Although we are generally blonde and blue eyed (we do have some redheads as well) there are ancestors/relatives who are dark skinned, black haired and brown eyed and I originally thought there may be some truth to the family lore of Cherokee blood. To this day I definitely have no clue but due to research I suspect we are Northern European with English, Scots, Welsh, Irish, Germanic etc.

My sister recently did dna testing and although it is entertaining, meh it doesn't matter to me.

Op, try not to obsess so much about it, perhaps consider a dna profile and clear the air for your own satisfaction.
To anyone wondering, doing DNA should tell you unless you're too far removed from the Asian or whatever DNA like me.

Quote:
ETA: LOL, Op hasn't been here since 2011...scratch that advice!
LOL, I was gonna say that but you edited and beat me to it.

Old 03-27-2019, 07:30 AM

43,966 posts, read 35,461,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
At My Heritage my Hungarian uncle shows 90.8% East European, 6.9% Italian and 2.3% West Asian

At Ancestry, he shows 86% Eastern Europe and Russia (Poland, Slovakia, Hungary & Romania) and 14% Baltic States (Estonia, Latvia & Lithuania). No Asian.
When I traveled through the Czech Republic and Slovakia, one of the things that struck me is how many people have high cheekbones and slanted eyes - many more than in neighboring Austria or Germany.

Old 03-27-2019, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
When I traveled through the Czech Republic and Slovakia, one of the things that struck me is how many people have high cheekbones and slanted eyes - many more than in neighboring Austria or Germany.
I have high cheekbones
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy