Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 12:05 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times

Advertisements

In the 1800s communities were not always close knit and neither were families. If it took a horse 8 hours to travel 15 miles, it took three hours to get to your neighbor or brother who lived 5 miles away. Sometimes the only time your saw "close knit" communities work together was in times of crisis. Brothers who hated each other denied knowing eacb other and some went so far as to change the spelling of the last name - like my grandmother's grandfather did. There are many ways to hide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
My family sorta has the same "problem" but not because of adoption. My great great grandmother was widowed young with five kids. She either did, or didn't, marry again but she had a son by a man we only know as Mr. ________. He was killed in an accident a few months before her son was born and never used his last name. Great grandad always went by the last name of her first husband and other kids. There was a family in the next county over with that last name but it has never been proven that he was part of it and there were TWO men by this name in the 1810 census, in the county my great grandad was born in. My great grandad was born in 1812. It has always surprised me that, as close knit as communities were back then, that nobody really knew to pass down the info.. Without a first name we're kinda stuck and they didn't have newspapers/obits back then so.....

Anyway, I'd love to solve this "mystery" and get the low down on that particular branch of our family. Just another darn 'brick wall' to try to knock down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 09:17 AM

2,852 posts, read 6,484,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Wax View Post
My father was adopted and recently when his mother died he found a document with his real last name. The only other information i have is the name of the small town he was born in. is there anything i can do with this? I would like to find out what kind of ancestory i have on my father's side.
Have you considered checking the newspaper for that area to see if anyone by that surname had an obituary or other news item listed? This could lead you to other possible relatives. The Shirley Oracle Newspaper has been going since 1869.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy