Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2011, 04:59 PM

5 posts, read 12,241 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever heard of the last name Amalbert? I know someone with this last name from Puerto Rico, but the name does not sound like Spanish origin? Just curious!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 07:24 AM
bjh

59,744 posts, read 30,177,339 times
Not everyone from Puerto Rico will have a Spanish origin name.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:34 AM

16,200 posts, read 22,932,209 times
I know a puerto rican whoa last name is bonaparte which is corsican/genoese. Many puerto ricans do not have spanish last names unless spaniah authorites of the day hispanized, like french martineau to spaniah martinez. During the mid 19th century spain issued a decree for catholic europeans of other countries and possessiona such as british ireland and french corsica to move to cuba and puertorico. More then half a million european immigrants from, ireland, france, corsica, and germant migrated to puerto rico before the start of the spanish american war. This also explains why so many puerto ricans look white compared to other caribbean islands who look mostly african or mulatto.

Old 08-13-2011, 06:37 PM

196 posts, read 748,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I know a puerto rican whoa last name is bonaparte which is corsican/genoese. Many puerto ricans do not have spanish last names unless spaniah authorites of the day hispanized, like french martineau to spaniah martinez. During the mid 19th century spain issued a decree for catholic europeans of other countries and possessiona such as british ireland and french corsica to move to cuba and puertorico. More then half a million european immigrants from, ireland, france, corsica, and germant migrated to puerto rico before the start of the spanish american war. This also explains why so many puerto ricans look white compared to other caribbean islands who look mostly african or mulatto.
Thanks so much. That gives me an idead of how my great-grandfather ended up in Puerto Rico. My grandfather was born in Puerto Rico in 1884 and moved to Hawaii. His census document in Hawaii shows his mother being born in Puerto Rico and his father was born in "Europe." I have reached a dead-end trying to find out info about my great-grandparents.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy