U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-26-2011, 01:48 AM

1,667 posts, read 2,002,349 times

Advertisements

wondering if anyone here might have input/advice:

a few years ago, Ancestry.com had a special- 3 days free research, no signing up. I acquired a ton of info, but lost it all when my computer bit the dust.

one bit of info I'd found was my great-great-grandfather's immigration record. I've not been able to find it since, either on Ancestry.com or any other similar site.
one reason is both his first & last names were amazingly misspelled, and I can't place how they were spelled on the record;
the other reason is I'm below-par when it comes to math-- including dates.

anyone have any ideas about how I can find it again?

also, I've not been able to locate any records of anyone with our last name in the country he was from-- wouldn't it seem there would be someone, unless he was "the last of the line"?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 12:42 PM
bjh
Status: "Remove foil before microwaving." (set 19 hours ago)

20,359 posts, read 12,125,619 times
You may want to give some names and places, if you want others to look for you.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:39 PM

1,097 posts, read 880,142 times
use Steve Morse's Ellis Island searches - they are amazingly forgiving on spelling
Searching Ellis Island Passenger Lists in One Step

Old 08-28-2011, 12:26 PM

5,299 posts, read 6,535,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
wondering if anyone here might have input/advice:

a few years ago, Ancestry.com had a special- 3 days free research, no signing up. I acquired a ton of info, but lost it all when my computer bit the dust.

one bit of info I'd found was my great-great-grandfather's immigration record. I've not been able to find it since, either on Ancestry.com or any other similar site.
one reason is both his first & last names were amazingly misspelled, and I can't place how they were spelled on the record;
the other reason is I'm below-par when it comes to math-- including dates.

anyone have any ideas about how I can find it again?
Without a name or date you're searching blind. Try different spellings of his name since you know it was badly misspelled. If you can remember the name of the ship he sailed in on, you might be able to search the ship records manually and find him that way.

Quote:
also, I've not been able to locate any records of anyone with our last name in the country he was from-- wouldn't it seem there would be someone, unless he was "the last of the line"?
Not all records are available online or on Ancestry.com. Depending where he came from, Ancestry.com might not have many collections for that country/town. If it's an uncommon name and ACOM doesn't provide any/many collections for that area, it's possible to not get any results on that name in that area.

Also don't rule out the possibility that the immigration record is actually spelled correctly and that is simply the original spelling of his name which he later anglicized. If you're searching for the anglicized name, you may not get any results for it in his country of origin. It is actually a myth that immigration officers often misspelled foreign names so this is a possibility unless it's simply a transcription error. Whatever the original document said is actually probably correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj185 View Post
use Steve Morse's Ellis Island searches - they are amazingly forgiving on spelling
Searching Ellis Island Passenger Lists in One Step
We don't know that the OP's ancestor entered through Ellis Island though - it was not the only port of entry.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:01 PM

802 posts, read 1,043,784 times
Try Family Search https://www.familysearch.org/. The new research site has a lot of international records, and it's FREE! Good Luck!

Last edited by Cindiana; 08-28-2011 at 05:28 PM..

Old 08-30-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabe09 View Post
Try Family Search https://www.familysearch.org/. The new research site has a lot of international records, and it's FREE! Good Luck!
you've found a winner with that site!!! thank you!!!
I haven't found his immigration/ship record yet, but found not only him but his wife and first two children on the 1870 U.S. Census!!! and while locating them there was a wonderful surprise, the way the old censuses listed "estimated birth years" gave me even more to go on!!!

Old 08-30-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post

We don't know that the OP's ancestor entered through Ellis Island though - it was not the only port of entry.
yeah, it didn't occur to me Ellis Island only goes back so far-- Ellis Island opened in 1892. before then, the NY port-of-entry was called Castle Garden.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:08 PM

5,299 posts, read 6,535,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
yeah, it didn't occur to me Ellis Island only goes back so far-- Ellis Island opened in 1892. before then, the NY port-of-entry was called Castle Garden.
Even after Ellis Island opened, there were other ports of entry - Philadelphia, for one. My Italian ancestor immigrated in 1913 through Philly.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Even after Ellis Island opened, there were other ports of entry - Philadelphia, for one. My Italian ancestor immigrated in 1913 through Philly.
yes, & I didn't even know there were any other ports-of-entry other than NY before recently
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy