U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-30-2011, 07:06 PM

2,660 posts, read 2,371,529 times

Advertisements

I have come across some info regarding a "Cormack McCarthy" as the king who received the Blarney Stone as a gift from the King of Scotland (Robert the Bruce) for his help in their war of independance from England. He then placed it in his castle in Ireland, way back when, and thus began the legend of "The Gift of Gab" by kissing the stone.

Has anyone been able to trace their "McCarthy" family roots from America back to Ireland and the Blarney Castle King Cormac ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 11:04 AM
bjh

20,503 posts, read 12,387,393 times
Not I.

I once learned that one of my great grandfathers was supposedly descended from an Irish "king," which was more like being the leader of a clan in a small locale. A local leader would be more like the big man around town than what most of us think of as royal.

At the end of the day I am happy to be a descendant of peasants. That impresses me more because of all the challenges they overcame.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:19 PM

2,660 posts, read 2,371,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Not I.

I once learned that one of my great grandfathers was supposedly descended from an Irish "king," which was more like being the leader of a clan in a small locale. A local leader would be more like the big man around town than what most of us think of as royal.

At the end of the day I am happy to be a descendant of peasants. That impresses me more because of all the challenges they overcame.
And the great thing about the Irish & Scotch was the "CLAN SYSTEM" as opposed to the feudal system. The feudal or class system was introduced by the English, but Ireland & Scotland rejected it.
The greatest thing about Klan or family based societies is people don't view themselves as lesser or better than each other. They all have a place because they view themselves as family. A son or daughter is not less than a mother or father - that is just their place. Fathers do not look down on their children.
The other aspect of the klan system is the fact that one of the family positions was ancestry keeper. The Celts have a excellent historical record keeping system, similar to the system outlined in Alex Haley's book "Roots" which described his tribes custom of ancestry record keeping.
So I agree with your point. I like the old saying "Have compassion for everyone you meet for we are all fighting a GREAT BATTLE !"

Old 09-01-2011, 01:50 PM
bjh

20,503 posts, read 12,387,393 times
^
Good points. I hadn't even thought to compare feudalism with the Celtic clans. Yes, they were family, a lot more egalitarian and democratic. A lot of the British in early America were Celts. Not mine, I fear, they were English Puritans. Our Scots and Irish immigrated later. But I can't help to wonder now if their presence didn't help along the American revolution.

As for ancestry keeper, one of my great grandmother's had the maiden name of Baird. If I understand correctly that meant storyteller, genealogist, keeper of local lore.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:15 PM

6,303 posts, read 5,593,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
And the great thing about the Irish & Scotch was the "CLAN SYSTEM" as opposed to the feudal system. The feudal or class system was introduced by the English, but Ireland & Scotland rejected it.
The greatest thing about Klan or family based societies is people don't view themselves as lesser or better than each other. ...
There are a number of historical indications that the Irish were heading toward a feudal type of society in some areas as early as the era of Brian Boru, though the process as a native evolution never got very far before the arrival of the English.

As for the idea of equality in the clan and tribal system of Ireland, that needs to be qualified a great deal. The Brehon laws certainly show that this society was divided into several clearly defined social classes based largely on wealth. However, these class distinctions were not immutable, and theoretically if a family failed for three generations to maintain the amount of material possessions indicated for their social class, they then dropped down a rung. Probably the Brehon laws represent a legal ideal, but, on the other hand, they must have had some basis on the social reality.

The following books will give you a detailed picture of early Irish social structure:

Early Medieval Ireland: 400 - 1200, Dáibhí Ó Crónín (Longman)

A New History of Ireland: Prehistoric and Early Ireland, various authors with the above Ó Crónín, editor (Oxford)

A shorter and simpler book is In Search of Ancient Ireland, Carmel McCaffrey and Leo Eaton. Unlike the above two, it appears to be aimed at young adults. It was intended as the companion book to a PBS documentary.

The Brehon Laws: A Legal Handbook, Laurence Ginnell (Husain). This is a reprint of an early 20th century book, but it is still available in the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy