U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 09-02-2011, 01:39 PM

5,829 posts, read 10,560,667 times
Default Longest Recorded Pregnancy

The oops thread I started led me to do some more research and I found this info. It's pretty interesting.

Medicine: Prodigious Pregnancy
Monday, Mar. 05, 1945

Quote:
Dr. Daniel Beltz swore it was true. So did Mrs. Beulah Hunter, 25. And Baby Penny Diana did have a knowing look about her. But other doctors at Los Angeles' Methodist Hospital found it incredible that Mrs. Hunter had been pregnant 375 days (instead of the normal 280) before her baby was born there last week; 375 days would be the longest pregnancy on record, topping the runner-up by about 58 days.
MOD CUT! City - Data TOS only allows members to cite two sentences from a copyrighted source such as TIME MAGAZINE which clearly states: "ALL RIGHTS RESERVED."

Read more: Medicine: Prodigious Pregnancy - TIME

Is is true? I don't know, but it's pretty interesting.

I actually found out about this fact while watching "I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant." The TIME article is the only source I can find.

Wow.

Last edited by linicx; 09-03-2011 at 12:29 PM..

Unread 09-02-2011, 06:04 PM

8,349 posts, read 7,041,026 times
No, it is not possible.

Either there was a false positive pregnancy test or lab error or there was a miscarriage followed by another pregnancy without an intervening menstrual period. There is no way a pregnancy would stop, then resume growing.

In 1944, hearing the heartbeat for the first time would be done with a stethoscope. There were no doppler devices then. If the heartbeat was not heard until September, then the patient was probably not 4.5 months pregnant any earlier than that date. That would be consistent with the birth in late February. It would be more helpful if the article gave the actual date the heart was heard.

Pregnancy was diagnosed in 1944 using the "rabbit test".

Rabbit test - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A lot of "overdue" pregnancies were due to women missing a period, not actually pregnant, then getting pregnant the first time they ovulated after the cycle with no period. Now, with ultrasound, pregnancies can be accurately dated, thank goodness!

Unread 09-03-2011, 12:31 PM

10,250 posts, read 12,456,142 times
Although this fascinating stuff, it has little to do with genealogy - unless it is your fami8ly -and a great deal to do with modern Historical events.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy