Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 10:02 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,668,081 times

Advertisements

Cool story below.

In the end we all come from Africa and I guess from apes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 10:33 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Cool story below.

There are numerous such offshoots all but one of which were dead ends.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:28 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,382,198 times
I wish I had a dollar for each "missing link" that has been reported during my life time. My retirement would be so much easier

Old 09-08-2011, 03:43 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
There are numerous such offshoots all but one of which were dead ends.
Agreed, just as Neanderthals co-existed with Homo Sapiens, before dying off.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:25 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,485,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Cool story below.

But WAIT! Isnt the Earth only 6,000 years old??

Old 09-09-2011, 11:53 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
But WAIT! Isnt the Earth only 6,000 years old??
And it's filled with marshmallow cream.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:27 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
I just read something interesting on a German site. They say that according to the analysis of ancient hair found in Australia, the aborigines there were the first modern humans to leave Africa, at least 24k years before the ancestors of Europeans and Asians left Africa. Makes me wonder how closely native Australians are related to us, maybe they were from another regions in Africa and thus are not as closely related to the rest of modern humans...

Old 10-10-2011, 02:04 AM

589 posts, read 756,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Agreed, just as Neanderthals co-existed with Homo Sapiens, before dying off.

Sort of but not really. Neanderthals mixed with modern humans shortly after leaving Africa, anyone who is not a black African is 4% Neanderthal on average according to Scientists. Black people [or rather Sub Saharan Africans to be politically correct] average 0% Neanderthal genes.

Neanderthals live on in DNA of humans | Science | The Guardian

"The researchers found that modern humans and Neanderthals shared 99.7% of their DNA, which was inherited from a common ancestor 400,000 years ago. Further analysis revealed that Neanderthals were more closely related to modern humans who left Africa than to the descendants of those who stayed. Between 1% and 4% of the DNA in modern Europeans, Asians and those as far afield as Papua New Guinea, was inherited from Neanderthals.
"Those of us who live outside Africa carry a little Neanderthal in us," said Professor Pääbo. "Neanderthals probably mixed with early modern humans before Homo sapiens split into different groups in Europe and Asia. The comparison of these two genetic sequences enables us to find out where our genome differs from that of our closest relative."

Interbreeding between humans and Neanderthals may nonetheless have been rare. Just two Neanderthal females in a group of around a hundred humans would have been enough to leave such a trace in our genome, provided that was the group that gave rise to all modern humans outside Africa.
The study, reported in the journal Science, was greeted by scientists as almost certain confirmation that modern humans and Neanderthals mated when the groups crossed paths. "It certainly tells us something about human nature," said Chris Stringer, head of human origins at the Natural History Museum in London.
Ed Green, a senior author on the study at the University of California, Santa Cruz, said: "How these peoples would have interacted culturally is not something we can speculate on in any meaningful way. But knowing that there was gene flow is important, and it is fascinating to think about how that may have happened."
He added: "The scenario is not what most people had envisioned. We found the genetic signal of Neanderthals in all the non-African genomes, meaning that the admixture occurred early on, probably in the Middle East, and is shared with all descendants of the early humans who migrated out of Africa."

Old 10-22-2011, 11:37 AM

10,094 posts, read 14,965,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaos View Post
Black people [or rather Sub Saharan Africans to be politically correct] average 0% Neanderthal genes.
It's important you made that distinction, not due to political correctness, but simply reality.

A very large percentage of American blacks (and by American I mean all of the Western Hemisphere, not just the US) are, in fact, of mixed blood (mulattoes of various degrees). Obviously, they should average way more than 0% Neanderthal genes inherited from their European and/or other non-black ancestors.

The Sub-Saharan Africans, on the other hand, would have the 0% you mentioned, since racial mixing has been and continue to be extremely limited in that continent, save for a few random areas (the Cape of South Africa being a perfect example, where most of the population are mulatto or, as they call it, coloured).

Often times, Americans (as from the US) tend to be rather shocked to learn that the one-drop-rule doesn't exist in other countries or in genetics/reality.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:50 AM

674 posts, read 698,516 times
Why do some people think it's valid to rewrite human history everytime a new sack of bones are found? What if the most important bones are never found?

I think the attraction of religion is that it's static.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy