U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 02:01 AM

3 posts, read 19,614 times

Advertisements

I'm talking about this: africanancestry.com

Are they really reliable? Can really tell which country in Africa a black American's ancestry/heritage is?

I read some genealogists criticize them.

AA is a scam?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 10:54 AM
bjh

30,697 posts, read 23,773,280 times
Some get different results depending on the company that does the test.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:58 PM

23,398 posts, read 28,234,455 times
What you can find out really depends on how much you are willing to spend.

From Family Tree DNA:

Family Tree DNA - Products and pricing

Old 12-11-2011, 11:08 AM

511 posts, read 632,040 times
It will compare your DNA to that of the major tribes in West Africa. Mostly Igbo Nigerians and about a dozen others. If you really care to know the exact spot your African ancestry is from its worth it. But still, New world Black people are descended from ALL over West Africa due to mixing.

Same with White people really. A Italian American [or Irish, German] in the US is more likely to be 1/2 Italian and the other half Irish/German/whatever else.

Also the tests tend to track Y DNA and MTdna the most, the tests get shady if you have a European Y DNA [from a distant white male ancestor]. About 1 in 4 black American males have European Y DNA so its possible that can happen in your case. In that case they will only track your maternal lineage, but that will leave your African Male lineage as a question mark, since if they tracked your European Y it would just lead to some spot in Europe..

Old 12-19-2011, 09:40 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,785,265 times
African Ancestry is not worth the money for the amount of information they give you. Basically all they are doing is giving you your maternal haplogroup and paternal (haplogroup for males) and printing it on a certificate which population your haplogroup matches the most to. This can be done with a quick look up of the haplogroup you receive from 23andme or FTDNA. You are better off getting the test at 23andme or FTDNA which will give you your paternal group(if male), maternal group overall ethnic percentages, and a relative finder for matches with people whom you share DNA and will allow you to download your raw data which can be sent to other sites for analysis. I see African Ancestry now has a new test called myDNAmix which seems like a portion of the admixture test that you get from 23andme/FTNDA.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:20 PM

3 posts, read 23,109 times
From an article on BBC about African Ancestry:

Quote:
Professor Deborah Bolnick of the University of Texas is particularly critical of African Ancestry.

She says its database is too small to fulfil its marketing promise that it is "the only company whose tests will place your African ancestry in a present day country or region in Africa".

"Consumers should know the limitations and complexities before they spend hundreds of dollars thinking they're going to find an answer to who they really are," said Professor Bolnick.
news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8117258.stm

Old 09-03-2017, 11:15 AM

691 posts, read 918,542 times
I am afraid it might be a scam, after an actual African took the test who has both parents from the same tribe and the results
gave him a different tribe. He even used an American alias to make sure they would not recognize his ethnic name and send
the appropriate matches.

Old 09-03-2017, 04:59 PM

634 posts, read 466,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon30 View Post
I'm talking about this: africanancestry.com

Are they really reliable? Can really tell which country in Africa a black American's ancestry/heritage is?

I read some genealogists criticize them.

AA is a scam?
I am not sure. In order to prevent any scam you better do your test with Ancestry.Com, 23andme or FTDNA.
If you are African it will show up in your test, and they will show the regions and sub-regions of Africa your DNA is related.

Old 09-03-2017, 05:15 PM

10,669 posts, read 21,340,667 times
In addition upload to my heritage for free. See my thread Family tree and DNA general instructions to find out how; upload to GEDmatch too

Family tree and DNA general instructions

Old 09-03-2017, 05:17 PM

691 posts, read 254,318 times
waste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or