Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 08:26 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,247,739 times

Advertisements

LDS refuses to remove or change any record. Therefore my ancestral grandfather remains married to his father-in-law. My g.g.g.grandfather remains mis-named and hidden in LDS records. Places like LDS and Ancestry are good for clues but never for a positive identification without legal proof in your hands.

Records before 1800 are hard to find and it is even harder prior to 1700. Most of the records from the 1600s are in church and state archives. European records before 1800 are often only found in Parish records -- providing your family had the money to pay the church scribe. Court records, if they exist are archived. In Belgium for instance, there are only three official archives that do hold records from the 1600s. They can be writing in Latin, German or possibly Old Dutch. .

Last edited by linicx; 01-28-2012 at 06:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 09:01 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,930,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
LDS refuses to remove or change any record.
That's not true. They want their database to be accurate as much as anybody else does. It's just that there's a lot of red tape that you might not find elsewhere. My husband found an error in their database that has since been fixed; it just took awhile.

Last edited by linicx; 01-28-2012 at 07:02 AM..

Old 01-28-2012, 04:58 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,137,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
That's not true. They want their database to be accurate as much as anybody else does. It's just that there's a lot of red tape that you might not find elsewhere. My husband found an error in their database that has since been fixed; it just took awhile.
It depends on the specific database, actually. They won't change anything in the Ancestral File ... only add your "correct" information if you submit it.

If the database is of record abstractions, they'll probably correct it.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:26 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,247,739 times
It's a matter of opinion. They have not been cooperative with me and I am not alone. I've told them this for several years and provided proper documentation. It is futile and I am done. My grand males, Aaron and Gil remain married in LDS records and the dumb kids will continue to spread it across the Internet.

When internet genealogy first started it was wonderful. The net was young and we were innocents. Families found each other because family record keepers exchanged information. Then came the predators, liars, pedophiles and thieves who thought it was great fun to steal and cheat, merge large DBs of unproven records into one file and call it My Records.

After about the 3rd year of theft the real family records were pulled off and the owners stopped answering emails. If it wasn't for the kind and genuine Old Timer's I might still be looking for Fling and Lemmon but I am not thanks to them.

On the other hand I was able to graft a missing branch of unmarried brothers onto the Hubbard tree because one married my ancestral grandmother and I was nosey. Together the family historian and I proved it beyond question. Their father was one of 18 children which may explain why the brothers had no children of their own.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:37 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,392,592 times
I have been a victim of identity theft. Therefore, I closely guard identifying information about my living family. I especially guard my birthdate and birthplace, they can be used as identifiers. I leave my children off the trees entirely. They were the targets of the previous identity theft, no need to plaster them all over the Internet.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:27 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,246,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I have been a victim of identity theft. Therefore, I closely guard identifying information about my living family. I especially guard my birthdate and birthplace, they can be used as identifiers. I leave my children off the trees entirely. They were the targets of the previous identity theft, no need to plaster them all over the Internet.
Online I am Nightbird. My net friends who I know in person call me that and its like another name. I don't do Facebook or Twitter. I'm the same person as my 'name' as Nightbird so if people like me or don't its the same.

I don't get posting all your family pics for all the world to see.

I did find lost living cousins on Ancestry, since they had our parents (who are dead) posted and sent them a private message.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I found my grandmother's father, listed on family trees as from Ireland but in the cencus as her father having been born in England. I've noticed that most relatives who married more than once have only the first listed, and since my Grandmother was far taller than her siblings who family history says was Irish, I suspect something is missing here. Both husbands had the same last name.

Is it common for second marriages or divorces not to be recorded?

Old 02-04-2012, 04:34 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,137,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I found my grandmother's father, listed on family trees as from Ireland but in the cencus as her father having been born in England. I've noticed that most relatives who married more than once have only the first listed, and since my Grandmother was far taller than her siblings who family history says was Irish, I suspect something is missing here. Both husbands had the same last name.

Is it common for second marriages or divorces not to be recorded?
It is for sloppy genealogists. Far too many of them only research, and post, their direct lines. Be suspicious when you see everyone has only one child.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:00 PM

37,092 posts, read 41,220,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
It is for sloppy genealogists. Far too many of them only research, and post, their direct lines. Be suspicious when you see everyone has only one child.
I would not necessarily accuse such a person of being sloppy. Their goal may be only to document their direct line. Some folks may be more resistant to genealogy addiction than others!

Adding all the sibs gets to be very time consuming, especially as you get further into the tree and the number of lines increases. A few of my lines have published books about them. If I want the info, I can look in the book.

I have one several times great grandfather who had no siblings. He was the first child and his mother died about 9 days after he was born. He did have step-sibs, and I have recorded them.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I would not necessarily accuse such a person of being sloppy. Their goal may be only to document their direct line. Some folks may be more resistant to genealogy addiction than others!

Adding all the sibs gets to be very time consuming, especially as you get further into the tree and the number of lines increases. A few of my lines have published books about them. If I want the info, I can look in the book.

I have one several times great grandfather who had no siblings. He was the first child and his mother died about 9 days after he was born. He did have step-sibs, and I have recorded them.
That isn't the problem with my grandmother. Her mother is listed as having four children and did have four surviving children. She lost four before when they were all very young to scarlet fever. All of that jibes with family history. The problem is the first three were barely five foot tall. she was 4' 10". Her Irish husband was also very short. My grandmother was almost six feet and was taller than her mother and siblings before she was twelve. And both the 1920 and 1930 census list her father as English, not Irish. Her father has always been said to be an Englisman who was very tall, but died when she was very small. Both were named Smith.

All I see is the Irish husband with a death date after my grandmother's birth and I'm sure she didn't come from the same father as the rest. And mom remembered reading letters from a great aunt in Manchester, her grandfather's sister. But both were named Smith. Charles and Martin, but I don't know when either immigrated.

That the census lists my great grand father as English is something concrete. My grandmother was divorced also and my grandfather remarried, though that might have been left out deliberately by family as he also exiled himself.

I think my best route is to follow back the census.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy