Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 12:21 PM

41,737 posts, read 74,692,347 times

Advertisements

My great-grandfather was a contractor and builder; his business pretty much went belly up during the Depression, and he died not long after my father was born. He and my grandmother owned and rented out a number of houses in their neighborhood as well. My grandfather was a factory worker; my other grandfather was an immigrant coal miner. Dad went to college for engineering on the GI bill, and my mom went to nursing school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 12:49 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,828,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
...her Mother worked in a bar...
Of course it wouldn't be listed by that occupation on the 1920 or 1930 Federal Census...

That comment was spurred by some recent research, where I found a distant relation working in a bar on his 5 Sep 1917 WWI Draft Record, but changing occupation by 1920...

Then I remembered...

The release of the 1940 Census will give us a chance to see alcohol-related occupations listed again...

Old 01-23-2012, 02:52 AM

4,869 posts, read 10,472,657 times
One of my paternal ancestors was a King! He ruled a small princely state in eastern Punjab in the 19th century before being betrayed by one of his family members and driven out. His descendants worked as professionals until my grandfather, an electrical engineer, came to Canada to purchase parts for a nuclear power plant in India from Atomic Energy Canada in the 60's. The asignment ended up being so long he decided to immigrate as my father and uncle had grown accustomed to Montreal.

On my mother's side we have well documented genealogy going back over 400 years. Every one of them was a Dutch peasant and lived hard lives. Indeed, I was shocked at how many children were recorded as born and how few of them survived to adulthood. My grandparents were Dutch farmers as well and came during the post war depression to work for a dairy in the Eastern Townships of Quebec, near the border with New Hampshire.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:44 AM

30,286 posts, read 51,745,829 times
I am actually a third-generation librarian, as my mother & late grandfather also are/were librarians! We have a few other librarians in the family, including some of my aunts & cousins - also lots of teachers on that side.

My semi-retired father was a management consultant (with degrees in systems engineering) for ~30 years, and also did some work with the government and a major non-profit... his father was a mail carrier in Brooklyn who was murdered on the job, and his mother was an uneducated housewife. Going farther back, I only know that my Russian-born paternal great-grandfather was a tailor, and I think a few other immigrant ancestors were tailors. Oh yeah, and judging by the translation of our last name, somebody was a vegetable farmer back in Russia.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:43 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,302,287 times
My mother = Teacher
Her father = Factory manager
His father = I don't know this one. Hopefully I can find out when the 1940 census is released this year.
His father = Tailor
His father = Police man ("government watcher" as it was commonly called back then. He didn't start listing himself as a police man until the 1870 and 1880 census).

That goes back to about the 1830s. I'm stuck from there.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:11 AM

811 posts, read 805,389 times
Paternal grandmother,teacher
Grandfather, built planes for WWII and came back and owned a small store

Maternal gradparents both in the lumber mill

Mom,office jobs
Dad, military then forrestry work now retired

Ex step.mother, gold digging witch
Step dad retired state police

Not sure about most of my great grand parents, my paternal grandpa's parents were both teachers

Old 01-24-2012, 02:08 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,220,967 times
Maternal grandfather was a grocer in Texas.
Paternal grandfather was a train engineer in NYC.

Before that my ancestors were farmers, blacksmiths and fishermen.

I know my Dutch ancestors grew tulips. No lie.

My Danish ancestors worked the land, too.

I'm quite sure I was a princess in a prior life. ahahahahaha

Old 01-24-2012, 02:11 PM

15,370 posts, read 38,990,353 times
Maternal Grandfather Farmer
Paternal Grandfather Railroad Brakeman and conductor [back when we had REAL trains.]
Mother Officr Manager
Father Dive Bomber Pilot [KIA 1943]
Stepfather Certified axle and Railroad Brakeman

Old 01-24-2012, 04:05 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,401,867 times
Father - House painter. Before that he was a sailor, a waiter, a delivery man and a salesman.
Mother - Cleaner/dinner lady. Before that she was a waitress.
Maternal grandfather - Farmer/cattle dealer
Maternal grandmother - Farmer/housewife
Paternal grandparents - My father was an orphan so things are quite obscure on that side of the family

Old 01-26-2012, 03:42 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,004,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Father Dive Bomber Pilot [KIA 1943]
Wow. I'm sorry for your loss.

Do you know the story? It would be a good thing to record for future generations and other family members. Is your mother still living? I've been involved in several oral history projects and her story should be recorded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy