U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 01:02 PM

21,549 posts, read 26,166,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
Yes, that would be a problem but the OP did not even know what a GEDCOM was and was confused by all this programe jargon. They seem not to be interested in controling the server. I think they want the online tree so their out of state realtive can have access to the info on their personal home tree yet keep it private from others on Ancestry.com.

They say they use F.T.M. which is Ancestry.com. All they need to do upload their home tree and set it as private and then give the username and password to the family member. If the family member wants to edit the online tree that is their choice.

They do not sound like they are tech savy and want exclusive control over the server.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
The family members can also have their own accounts and the admin of the tree can add them as an editor to the tree even though it remains private from all others.
You are assuming that everyone who uses Family Tree Maker has an ancestry.com account and wants to upload his tree to ancestry.com. I think OP is looking for something cheaper --- everyone would have to subscribe to ancestry.com.

The other thing is tracking changes. It could get complicated if every person making edits has to contact everyone else and give them a list of changes. If you do that, you might as well just exchange GEDCOMS and merge them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 02:07 PM

5,497 posts, read 4,406,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You are assuming that everyone who uses Family Tree Maker has an ancestry.com account and wants to upload his tree to ancestry.com. I think OP is looking for something cheaper --- everyone would have to subscribe to ancestry.com.
I am assuming they do not have an Ancestry account/tree. They want an online tree so their relative in another state can have access to the info - the easiest is for them to go with the company that they already use for their home tree- particularly since ancestry just came out with TreeSync - which syncs your home tree with your online tree.

Also, if they share the username and password they do not have to have seperate accounts. You do not even need to pay to update the online tree - I do not have a subscription and I can update my tree. If they are doing their research with online sources they are most likely going to have to pay anyway - if they are doing it offline then they can add it to their tree without cost.

Quote:
The other thing is tracking changes. It could get complicated if every person making edits has to contact everyone else and give them a list of changes. If you do that, you might as well just exchange GEDCOMS and merge them.
Yes, but that is what they wanted - it is just one other person - both people would be able to edit the online tree. All they would have to do is share the info and discuss before editing - it is a family member. If she does not trust the other person or has continual disagreements then they should have their own seperate trees - which would make the OP's whole endevor moot. If the other person has basic e-mail - what is the problem - I just got attachments of a Census, pictures, and info about someone in seconds. Bam! Bam! There you go - whada ya think? Sure! add it on.

I do not get why that is such a problem that anyone would direct the OP to more complicated measures for what she wants? I am not sure why everyone is making it so complicated for the OP. Running their own server - come on. Next just tell her to write her own program.

In fact if they have an older version of the F.T.M. they should just update their version to 2012 which comes with TreeSync. All this tech talk is just confusing the OP. They should also take advantage of Ancestry's online helps regarding her program and sharing info since she did not seem to even know what a GEDCOM was.

It is not perfect but man it answers her question. I still do not know what everyone else is suggesting they do????

Old 02-01-2012, 05:20 PM

21,549 posts, read 26,166,023 times
Quote:
I am assuming they do not have an Ancestry account/tree. They want an online tree so their relative in another state can have access to the info - the easiest is for them to go with the company that they already use for their home tree- particularly since ancestry just came out with TreeSync - which syncs your home tree with your online tree.
Not everyone uses ancestry.com for their home tree, even if they use Family Tree Maker. Some people do not want their tree on a paid site that shares the info --- even if you can supposedly make it "private."

Quote:
Also, if they share the username and password they do not have to have seperate accounts. You do not even need to pay to update the online tree - I do not have a subscription and I can update my tree. If they are doing their research with online sources they are most likely going to have to pay anyway - if they are doing it offline then they can add it to their tree without cost.
How does ancestry.com feel about sharing accounts like that? It would make me feel a bit uneasy.

Quote:
Yes, but that is what they wanted - it is just one other person - both people would be able to edit the online tree. All they would have to do is share the info and discuss before editing - it is a family member. If she does not trust the other person or has continual disagreements then they should have their own seperate trees - which would make the OP's whole endevor moot. If the other person has basic e-mail - what is the problem - I just got attachments of a Census, pictures, and info about someone in seconds. Bam! Bam! There you go - whada ya think? Sure! add it on.

I do not get why that is such a problem that anyone would direct the OP to more complicated measures for what she wants? I am not sure why everyone is making it so complicated for the OP. Running their own server - come on. Next just tell her to write her own program.

In fact if they have an older version of the F.T.M. they should just update their version to 2012 which comes with TreeSync. All this tech talk is just confusing the OP. They should also take advantage of Ancestry's online helps regarding her program and sharing info since she did not seem to even know what a GEDCOM was.

It is not perfect but man it answers her question. I still do not know what everyone else is suggesting they do????
The exchange of info by email and telephone is what people are already doing. The relatives we are talking about are frequently not close relatives and often live far enough away that it is difficult to just sit down together and input data. The online file sharing just streamlines the process.

TreeSync sounds like it is designed to synchronize one tree with ancestry.com. You have to sync the whole tree. Unless you are working with a sibling, the other people you are collaborating with probably only want to work with one line. The people that you share maternal great grandparents with are probably not interested in your paternal lines, for example. What you are trying to do is get a master tree for the desired people online that multiple people can edit and add to. Then, you can download the changed version to your own local program. The edits and changes should be tracked at the online site so you do not have to do that separately. For example, with one of the sites you "check out" a file to work on it. That way you do not have two or more people trying to work on the same file at the same time.

The sharing programs in my previous link get around the hassle of having to call or email people and tell them what you have done. The sharing site keeps up with everyone's changes.

Coalman's recommendation adds the additional step of setting up the hosting server. It sounds simple enough to do if you have some more advanced computer skills, but I think the OP would like to be able to skip that step.

As far as confidentiality is concerned, I would think that the security with a site set up to share genealogy info would be adequate.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 02-01-2012 at 05:39 PM.. Reason: Clarification.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:20 PM

6,415 posts, read 10,047,528 times
Quote:
Not everyone uses ancestry.com for their home tree, even if they use Family Tree Maker. Some people do not want their tree on a paid site that shares the info --- even if you can supposedly make it "private."
There is no supposed about it. If you mark your tree as private, it's private. No one can access it, and only a name, year and state of birth are listed in the index. And, you can delete it any time you wish.

And as for being a "paid" site - parts of it are for members only, and parts of it are free to everyone.

Personally, I'd be more wary of a "free" site. There is no free lunch, so I'd be wondering what they'd be getting out of supposedly making things so easy for me. At least with Ancestry, you know they want you to subscribe, so they'll try to lure you in. All you have to do is say no. But they're much more likely not to want to damage the relationship with the paid subscribers by reneging on a promise of privacy.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:18 AM

8,230 posts, read 12,832,427 times
Quote:
You can sign up to ancestry.com and use their online trees for free. You only have to pay to have access to most of their records databases. You seem to have a lot of misconceptions about ancestry.com.

Quote:
Not if they're all working on the same online tree, using the online tree as the master tree and then downloading the gedcom from it to use in their own individual software.

If the OP doesn't want to use an online tree as the master tree, fair enough, I was just throwing it out there as another option.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:41 AM

37,072 posts, read 38,342,893 times
Quote:
Also, if they share the username and password they do not have to have seperate accounts.
This is usually against the TOS on these sites especially if it's pay for site and actually illegal. That aside I don't know what acestry.com's internal policies are and they probably look the other way if there is unusual activity that would indicate the account is being shared however if there is lot of activity you might find yourself being barred from the site and account.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
There is no supposed about it. If you mark your tree as private, it's private.
Here's the trouble with that assumption, you're only considering what controls you have. That data resides on a server and anyone with access to the server will be able to get it. Ancestry.com will have internal policies about what their employees can and cannot do but that can break down and more importantly it's possible for a hacker to obtain it. Considering the vast quantities of personal info avaiable there it shouldn't be surprising they are a very big target.

Furthermore I can't find any information on how they handle deletions or closing accounts.

Quote:
And, you can delete it any time you wish.
The question arises is do they just delete it from view or permanently delete it. Unless there is some language somewhere that explicitly states they remove this information from their database they most likely do a "soft delete" and keep everything. It's certainly possible and most likely they have a record of every bit of information ever uploaded.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Here's the trouble with that assumption, you're only considering what controls you have. That data resides on a server and anyone with access to the server will be able to get it. Ancestry.com will have internal policies about what their employees can and cannot do but that can break down and more importantly it's possible for a hacker to obtain it. Considering the vast quantities of personal info avaiable there it shouldn't be surprising they are a very big target.
That would be true for any online tree or storage then too, not just Ancestry.com. I don't know why ACOM is being singled out. The OP asked for "private online storage and sharing" so they are obviously not quite so paranoid about privacy issues that they won't put anything on an online server.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
That would be true for any online tree or storage then too,
As far as the access to the server goes yes it would be, nothing is ever 100% secure but when you have your own hosting there is lot more you could do especially if you wanted to go bonkers. Just as a simple example you could firewall off all IP's except those you whitelist, that would pretty much prevent any breach from external sources.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
As far as the access to the server goes yes it would be, nothing is ever 100% secure but when you have your own hosting there is lot more you could do especially if you wanted to go bonkers. Just as a simple example you could firewall off all IP's except those you whitelist, that would pretty much prevent any breach from external sources.
You're talking about something obviously far beyond the OP though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or