U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-07-2012, 09:44 AM

2,040 posts, read 1,758,959 times
Yes, Smallwood as someone mentioned, is a common African-American name.

In my very long personal experience, the following are some very common African-American surnames. If you go to "Wikipedia" and search any of these names, you will find many examples among black people of these names:

Jackson, Washington, Banks, Hawkins, Alston, Williams, Jefferson, Butler, Strickland, Bynum, Green, White, Birdsong, Boyd, Best, Coates, Coleman, Medley, Dunbar, Smallwood, Holley, Dillard, Bagley, Dandridge, Baskerville,. Moton, Pinkett, Pinkney, Lacks, Horne, Keys, Simpson, Stancil, Veney, Gant, Hairston, Robinson.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:37 PM

2,040 posts, read 1,758,959 times
Also, Talley and Faison are very common among black Americans.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:22 PM

726 posts, read 235,184 times
Yes we're a big melting pot mixture. The fun of it is there's not many two alike, we all have different mixes.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:18 AM

4 posts, read 7,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
agree that American Whites definitely look different from British or Australian Whites because there is more "mix" in their blood...there certainly is a "British" look...those that claim alot of Southerners have "pure" British ancestry may be correct, but overtime, they take on that "American" look so they still look somehow different from British whites...

also I agree Australian whites look just like the British (dressing is different though)...also you do see more of that "British look" in Canada- esp in the older generation, due to their high levels of British immigrants in the last century i guess? Canadian Whites kinda look in between a British and American imo
Whatver it is, Americans overseas just seem to stick out like a sore thumb!
-----

In Spain, we spot Americans because their particular attire and because they are grossly overweight. They also bring along some people that are strange; fat Hispanics, Asians, Jews, people with strange slavic features...and they wear white socks and shorts..

Old 02-10-2012, 07:52 AM

25,894 posts, read 12,419,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimerius View Post
-----

In Spain, we spot Americans because their particular attire and because they are grossly overweight.
Could you tell them apart from Canadians?

Old 02-10-2012, 12:34 PM

5,509 posts, read 12,425,095 times
I recently did my girlfriend's family tree. I'm a typcial Southern "Original American" with ancestors who got here btw 1500 and 1776 (only one of my ancestor's arrived after the Revolution), while gf is the typical Midwestern German American.

She is 10/16ths German, all of whom arrived in America (Spec. Pittsburgh or Cincinnati) btw 1820 and 1870. But the remainder is an ecclectic mix of Dutch Quakers who were active in the Underground Railroad, an Irish branch that arrived after the potato famine, and a mix of both Northern English (those who arrived in Northern cities in the 1600s) and Southern Colonial Virginia English.

This relates to the thread to say that even many Northern "Ethnic" Whites have diverse backgrounds. And of course there is more mixing btw "newer" Northern Whites and "Original" Whites than ever before.

Me? I'm approximately 33% English, 33% Scottish, 10% German/ Welsh/ Dutch, with a little bit of French. Most of my English ancestors arrived in the 1500s in Colonial Virginia, most of my Scottish ancestors came from Ulster in the 1700s, most of my German ancestors came during the 1700s. My Dutch ancestors were the original settlers of New York City

Old 02-11-2012, 09:24 PM

24,693 posts, read 16,894,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I recently did my girlfriend's family tree. I'm a typcial Southern "Original American" with ancestors who got here btw 1500 and 1776 (only one of my ancestor's arrived after the Revolution), while gf is the typical Midwestern German American.

She is 10/16ths German, all of whom arrived in America (Spec. Pittsburgh or Cincinnati) btw 1820 and 1870. But the remainder is an ecclectic mix of Dutch Quakers who were active in the Underground Railroad, an Irish branch that arrived after the potato famine, and a mix of both Northern English (those who arrived in Northern cities in the 1600s) and Southern Colonial Virginia English.

This relates to the thread to say that even many Northern "Ethnic" Whites have diverse backgrounds. And of course there is more mixing btw "newer" Northern Whites and "Original" Whites than ever before.

Me? I'm approximately 33% English, 33% Scottish, 10% German/ Welsh/ Dutch, with a little bit of French. Most of my English ancestors arrived in the 1500s in Colonial Virginia, most of my Scottish ancestors came from Ulster in the 1700s, most of my German ancestors came during the 1700s. My Dutch ancestors were the original settlers of New York City
Didn't know there were English settlers arriving in the 1500s, only Spanish.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:19 AM

3,339 posts, read 2,712,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Didn't know there were English settlers arriving in the 1500s, only Spanish.
There is if you're counting the "lost colony of Roanoke".

Roanoke Colony - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-12-2012, 05:42 PM

24,693 posts, read 16,894,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
There is if you're counting the "lost colony of Roanoke".

Roanoke Colony - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
If the above poster is a descendant of these folks he should be cashing in on his celebrity lol.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:27 AM

10,005 posts, read 12,863,839 times
My mom is half Polish, half German. My dad is maybe English and who knows what else. Not entirely sure at this point as no one is talking and my dad can't go back that far because of that. My moms family though knows where they came from. They all immigrated in the late 1800 early 1900's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy