U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-05-2012, 03:44 PM

3,525 posts, read 1,535,670 times

Advertisements

I wonder if people would be willing to post pics of what they're saying?

What does an american mutt look like compared to an australian?

What does a british guy look like? Brown hair, brown eyes, kid of tall, lanky?

etc etc

Just curious.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:09 PM

741 posts, read 255,669 times
Almost if not all Europeans are technically 'mutts', just look at the Brits, they have norman, nordic, celtic and anglo saxon in them, maybe even roman too.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:58 PM

6,415 posts, read 5,562,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
I wonder if people would be willing to post pics of what they're saying?

What does an american mutt look like compared to an australian?

What does a british guy look like? Brown hair, brown eyes, kid of tall, lanky?

etc etc

Just curious.
Please, don't ask people to do that. There are enough threads of "guess my ethnicity." These aren't genealogy topics, and genealogy has nothing to do with making assumptions about people based on their physical appearance.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:29 PM

1,735 posts, read 924,952 times
Default Updating my original post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post
I got one for you...

Maternal Grandmother: born in France as was her mother (Great Grandmother)--her dad (**Great Grandfather) was born in Germany, lived in France (came to America and stayed (illegal immigrant) when my grandmother and her brother were teenagers or older)

*Maternal Grandfather: born in Lima Peru, Inca/Spanish/African (came, changed his last name and stayed in America (illegal immigrant) )
**Surname: Wagoner Maternal Great Grandfather: Maternal Great Grandmother's (little grandma or mémé ) surname: Gaultier (I swear we are related to Fashion Designer Jean Paul Gaultier, he strongly resembles my grandmother and her family) mémé refused to speak and learn English, we spoke and understood French, but when she passed, so did her language

*Surname: *Torres* but this was an alias, my Uncle found out his real name, but I cannot recall it...

Quote:
Paternal Grandmother: Born in USA---her mother (my Great Grandmother) was *Scottish ???
her father (my Great Grandfather) was born in England **we think one of his parents was from India. The pictures I've seen of him... his features and skin tone strongly resemble those from India. His features are dominant throughout my family. I look very much like my grandmother (his daughter) as does the majority of her sons, daughters and grandchildren (she had 16 kids and 50+ grandchildren).
*This part is a little sketchy, we're not sure if Great Grandma was Scottish or Irish or Both

**I would assume his mother was from India as his surname was Nye which I believe is English...Funny my paternal Uncle was a merchant marine and his favorite place was India, he fit right in and ending up living there til his passing...

Quote:
Paternal Grandfather: is from Ireland (Dublin/Tipperary as was his 18 brothers & sisters) some of my paternal Aunts and Uncles strongly resemble him, but grandma's features are dominate throughout the family.
My upbringing, while strongly influenced by the Irish and French traditions, our family is so very diverse that many other traditional influences were mixed in as well...My family has been "mixing it up" long before it was "legal" or okay to do it...

We have many relatives who still live in France, Ireland, Peru and I'm sure England, India and possibly Germany as well...

I've have been taken for Spanish, French, Italian (not one drop), native american, Peruvian, African, Greek, and on rare occasions Irish

We have a great mix in my family through marriage and such, that is not limited to the above, Chinese, Native American, Puerto Rican, Jewish, Arab, African, Italian, and more.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:49 PM

1,642 posts, read 820,148 times
Quote:
[b]

**I would assume his mother was from India as his surname was Nye

The Nye/Ney surname could be English, German, or Jewish

Old 04-12-2012, 11:23 PM

23,932 posts, read 20,205,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
His ancestors didn't have the same language either so he could have given up the entire English language and the Alphabet by the same rationale. Just saying, when do you stop
Well, I can understand why he wouldn't want a surname that was not his. I've been going through that as well, but as it turns out my surname may actually be the one I carry.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:51 PM

4,752 posts, read 1,743,615 times
Half German and half Norwegian here.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:17 PM

8,990 posts, read 4,773,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
In Australia a good majority of people (well around 60% is my own guess) are 100% English, Scottish, Irish or a mix of the three. That's probably the most common situation, although mixes with other groups such as Italians are certainly pretty common.

But when look at demographic statistics, and the ancestries of say celebrities, it seems the majority of Americans have at least 4-5, often 6-7+ European ethnic groups in their ancestries. Of course in 1900 neither Germany or Italy existed as independent nations, but their ancestors came from those regions.

Do you think this gives Americans a more continental European look than say Australians? A lot of Australians basically look just like the British because they are. Not all are even tanned. I think that's why I personally notice that Americans often have a certain physical look that is different from a lot of white Australians.

How rare is it to have 'pure' or predominant British ancestry? I assume that's confined mostly to certain regions, like New England and say Utah? If your last name is say Smith, I suppose it's pretty likely you're not even 50% English?
There are large areas of Canada where the people are predominantly, English, Scottish or Irish. In my own case my people, both sides, came to Canada from Scotland in the 1840's. Where they went in Ontario was almost 100% Scottish and they stuck together like glue. I am the 6th generation since Scotland and there was never one single marriage in all that time that was outside of the Scottish community. My generation was the last that was that way. After the fifties, people started moving around a lot and they married whoever they pleased. The ones who stayed in small town On. though are still at it.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:19 PM

1 posts, read 701 times
I found this thread linked off of something else related to geneology and thought I'd throw in my two cents as to the original question.

As several people have stated further up, the one part of the US that is overwhelmingly Anglo-Celtic (to use the Australian term, it is useful shorthand for English/Irish/Scottish/Welsh) is the South (overwhelmingly West African as well but this thread was about white Americans). There are pockets of Germans in the Piedmont regions and Appalachia, and the western edges of the South (thinking mainly Texas and Louisana here) is a whole 'nother kettle of fish with a more varied mix of immigrants, but as for the rest, most anyone with long roots in the South on both sides of their family will have a British or Irish surname and be almost entirely of that ancestry. There will be the odd German or French name but not in great numbers proportionally. The reason is quite simple- prior to the Civil War those were the primary ethnic groups who settled the South, after the Civil War few immigrants would have come to the region as it was economically devastated.

Sorry to bump an old thread (and I have never posted here before) but the question posed made me think of this exception to the richer European mix common to other areas of the US. I am good example myself- born and raised in NC, as were both my parents, grandparents, great parents etc. pretty far on back (18th/17th century, VA also comes into play when you get way back) and every single name in my family tree that I am aware of is of either English, Irish, Scottish (both Lowland and Highland, most of the Lowlanders having come via Ulster) or Welsh origin. I have travelled to the UK and Ireland numerous times and I am always assumed to be local (never have been to Wales, quite a bit of England and Scotland however), of course after speaking this turns to confusion, I have lived abroad a fair few years now and have lost my Southern accent, which has in turn been replaced by something indeterminate. The same occurs in continental Europe and elsewhere in the world, I am presumed at first to be either from the UK or Ireland, and yes, sometimes from Oz. A number of times clearing UK immigration I have been asked to get in the line for UK passport holders (the non-UK/EU line was much shorter on those occasions, thus the reason for the request), and once when I started to respond "no, I am..." the immigration official jumped in and said "oh your Australian then?" Which was the not particularly interesting anecdote that prompted me to weigh in with this long winded two cents!

Old 09-24-2012, 05:18 PM
bjh

20,361 posts, read 12,125,619 times
Go to New York sometime. It's not that difficult to tell who's Greek or Italian as opposed to who's Irish or Dutch. There are different looks. Ultimately tho, shouldn't matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.