U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 09:25 PM

11,337 posts, read 10,202,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
In Australia a good majority of people (well around 60% is my own guess) are 100% English, Scottish, Irish or a mix of the three. That's probably the most common situation, although mixes with other groups such as Italians are certainly pretty common.

But when look at demographic statistics, and the ancestries of say celebrities, it seems the majority of Americans have at least 4-5, often 6-7+ European ethnic groups in their ancestries. Of course in 1900 neither Germany or Italy existed as independent nations, but their ancestors came from those regions.

Do you think this gives Americans a more continental European look than say Australians? A lot of Australians basically look just like the British because they are. Not all are even tanned. I think that's why I personally notice that Americans often have a certain physical look that is different from a lot of white Australians.

How rare is it to have 'pure' or predominant British ancestry? I assume that's confined mostly to certain regions, like New England and say Utah? If your last name is say Smith, I suppose it's pretty likely you're not even 50% English?

I've got English, Irish, Italian, French, Norwegian, Dutch, German, Swedish, Danish and Spanish in my blood from the past 400 years or so...maybe more as the genealogy isn't all done yet.

The most recent ones are my Grandmother (Danish), Great Grandmother (Italian), and Great, Greats from Sweden and Norway.

Being a "purebreed" is just boring and I have to feel sorry for you Aussies.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:31 PM

24,691 posts, read 19,941,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I've got English, Irish, Italian, French, Norwegian, Dutch, German, Swedish, Danish and Spanish in my blood from the past 400 years or so...maybe more as the genealogy isn't all done yet.

The most recent ones are my Grandmother (Danish), Great Grandmother (Italian), and Great, Greats from Sweden and Norway.

Being a "purebreed" is just boring and I have to feel sorry for you Aussies.
Well the English are pretty mixed too, and going back far enough everyone is pretty mixed.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:48 PM

8,321 posts, read 3,235,025 times
I don't think many Americans sit around thinking of stuff like this. What happened in the past is not as important as what will happen in the future. Americans don't care about color or "race" (what does that even mean anymore?) I for one am more worried about multiculturalism and the ignorance of the immigrants and their apparent reluctance to learn English. The thing that has made America great is all these people from different parts of the world have come together and made the greatest country the world has ever seen but we could easily lose it if we aren't careful.

Little things like language and culture could bring the whole thing down.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:29 PM

5,823 posts, read 11,784,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
u cant go by what americans say they are. they lie alot and cover up bek 50 years ago parents would all tell their kids they came over on mayflower so they would blend in better.
u gota get DNA test to find our who u r.
most americans have not done it.
I don't lie about my ancestry. I simply can't trace some of my family trees.

DNA tests are also something most people don't want to pay for. They're not cheap.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:41 PM

8,150 posts, read 10,191,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
This has become such a racist forum.
Pretty much every forum on CD is racist...seems to be what people love talking about .

Old 02-02-2012, 10:59 PM

5,305 posts, read 1,979,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
'Inter' anything is all relative to social norms and prevailing attitudes of the time. Back in the 1800s for an Irish person to marry an English person was worse than white marrying a black today.
What is so "worse" about it? Oh, you mean that they are treated "worse" than what you classify as an allowable marriage. For people supposedly not focused on race and ethnicity, there seems to be a bunch of time on C-D posts spent in discussing their hang-ups.

A marriage bridging nations, with no racial difference between the spouses, is not "interracial"...

Old 02-02-2012, 11:06 PM

5,305 posts, read 1,979,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I don't think many Americans sit around thinking of stuff like this. What happened in the past is not as important as what will happen in the future. Americans don't care about color or "race" (what does that even mean anymore?) I for one am more worried about multiculturalism and the ignorance of the immigrants and their apparent reluctance to learn English. The thing that has made America great is all these people from different parts of the world have come together and made the greatest country the world has ever seen but we could easily lose it if we aren't careful.

Little things like language and culture could bring the whole thing down.
The "Complain about Immigrants" forum is thataway --------->

Old 02-02-2012, 11:58 PM

7,548 posts, read 8,356,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
The "Complain about Immigrants" forum is thataway --------->
http://www.city-data.com/forum/illegal-immigration/

Old 02-03-2012, 01:04 AM

1,433 posts, read 2,543,926 times
agree that American Whites definitely look different from British or Australian Whites because there is more "mix" in their blood...there certainly is a "British" look...those that claim alot of Southerners have "pure" British ancestry may be correct, but overtime, they take on that "American" look so they still look somehow different from British whites...

also I agree Australian whites look just like the British (dressing is different though)...also you do see more of that "British look" in Canada- esp in the older generation, due to their high levels of British immigrants in the last century i guess? Canadian Whites kinda look in between a British and American imo
Whatver it is, Americans overseas just seem to stick out like a sore thumb!

Old 02-03-2012, 01:48 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,227,194 times
LOL Most of you guys are ridiculous. You're not really a mutt if your ancestors were all from European countries; mainly because it all just gets classified as "white." A true mutt is someone who has a mix of very different ancestry, such as someone who is Ethiopian/English/Peruvian, Cambodian/German, Native American/Japanese/Italian, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy