Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 01:52 AM

23,871 posts, read 32,141,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
In Australia a good majority of people (well around 60% is my own guess) are 100% English, Scottish, Irish or a mix of the three. That's probably the most common situation, although mixes with other groups such as Italians are certainly pretty common.

But when look at demographic statistics, and the ancestries of say celebrities, it seems the majority of Americans have at least 4-5, often 6-7+ European ethnic groups in their ancestries. Of course in 1900 neither Germany or Italy existed as independent nations, but their ancestors came from those regions.

Do you think this gives Americans a more continental European look than say Australians? A lot of Australians basically look just like the British because they are. Not all are even tanned. I think that's why I personally notice that Americans often have a certain physical look that is different from a lot of white Australians.

How rare is it to have 'pure' or predominant British ancestry? I assume that's confined mostly to certain regions, like New England and say Utah? If your last name is say Smith, I suppose it's pretty likely you're not even 50% English?
I am not even saying what my ethnic background is, but I can't help but detect a bit of disappointment in your discovery that people from America, tend to be "Mutts"

What's next? Mongrel races?

Yes, Australia was founded as a penal colony for folks from the UK who were expelled.

We were not.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:58 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,773,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I am not even saying what my ethnic background is, but I can't help but detect a bit of disappointment in your discovery that people from America, tend to be "Mutts"

Yes, Australia was founded as a penal colony for folks from the UK who were expelled.

We were not.
You're probably reading too much into my 'motives', looking for a white cape in my closet. I'm not even white and don't really give a damn about mixing, within or between races.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:08 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,027,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I don't think many Americans sit around thinking of stuff like this. What happened in the past is not as important as what will happen in the future. Americans don't care about color or "race" (what does that even mean anymore?) I for one am more worried about multiculturalism and the ignorance of the immigrants and their apparent reluctance to learn English. The thing that has made America great is all these people from different parts of the world have come together and made the greatest country the world has ever seen but we could easily lose it if we aren't careful.

Little things like language and culture could bring the whole thing down.
My grandfather's first language was Norwegian. His great-grandparents immigrated in 1850. My home town pretty much spoke Norwegian until after WWI, 20 years after it was founded. Some guys born during in the 40s there are still technically ESL. People use the language that is expedient in the context in which they live. English is currently the most expedient language to use in the USA, followed by Spanish. That's just the way it is. Considering that financial well-being and political clout in this country run hand-in-hand with English language usage, I don't think we need to worry about some great Spanish-speaking onslaught from Central America. History has proven time and again that assimilation happens, and generally by accident.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:15 AM

13,499 posts, read 18,088,148 times
Quote:
I am not even saying what my ethnic background is, but I can't help but detect a bit of disappointment in your discovery that people from America, tend to be "Mutts"...
Seemed like a perfectly straightforward, non-provocative posting to me. I'm surprised at this response, not to mention the two concerned about "racist."

Last edited by kevxu; 02-03-2012 at 02:29 AM..

Old 02-03-2012, 02:16 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,107,952 times
You're right, white Americans are mostly "mutts" with mixed ancestry. I, for example, am descended from English, Dutch, and a several generations removed touch of Commanche. However it's easier to spot an American overseas by their more assertive walk rather than their physical appearance.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisW View Post
My grandfather's first language was Norwegian. His great-grandparents immigrated in 1850. My home town pretty much spoke Norwegian until after WWI, 20 years after it was founded. Some guys born during in the 40s there are still technically ESL. People use the language that is expedient in the context in which they live. English is currently the most expedient language to use in the USA, followed by Spanish. That's just the way it is. Considering that financial well-being and political clout in this country run hand-in-hand with English language usage, I don't think we need to worry about some great Spanish-speaking onslaught from Central America. History has proven time and again that assimilation happens, and generally by accident.
Amen!!!!!! And would it kill America or Americans if U.S. culture reflected some Hispanic influence.........good grief! Is it that fragile?

Old 02-03-2012, 02:22 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,107,952 times
Quote:
It's inevitable with increasing acceptance of mixed race marriages. I'm guilty; my wife is Asian and our wonderful, attractive children are half-breeds.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Pretty much every forum on CD is racist...seems to be what people love talking about .
Talking about race is racist!!!!???

I would think it was the content of what is said that might or might not be racist.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:18 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,088,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
u cant go by what americans say they are. they lie alot and cover up bek 50 years ago parents would all tell their kids they came over on mayflower so they would blend in better.
u gota get DNA test to find our who u r.
most americans have not done it.
A DNA test will not tell you who you are (or "who u r" in Huckleberry speak). It might tell you what family line ONE of your ancestors came from. But there were lots more lines of ancestors that it won't tell you a darn thing about.

And I'm sorry if your parents lied to you about your ancestry. But don't put that off on the rest of us.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:26 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,088,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Amen!!!!!! And would it kill America or Americans if U.S. culture reflected some Hispanic influence.........good grief! Is it that fragile?
They don't? What nonsense. There seems to me to be ample Hispanic "influence." Maybe predominantly in the states bordering Mexico, but it's everywhere. That doesn't mean that immigrants (wherever they come from) shouldn't eventually assimilate. That can still be done while honoring the heritage from which their ancestors came.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy