Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 03:43 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,587,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I should mention though that we have a lot of Southern Europeans, many of whom only arrived in the past 60 years. Italians, Greeks, Croatians.etc are pretty common in certain parts of the cities. In more recent years we've also received an influx of Poles and Russians. Funnily enough, there are more people of German ancestry than I expected yet people with German surnames are not that common. There seem to be a lot more German sounding place-names in Victoria and South Australia, so maybe they are mostly there.
Lots of place-names were changed during WWI here, probably quite a few people changed their names as well due to anti-German sentiment. The Barossa Valley (South Australia) area is probably the most German area of Australia, which is reflected in the names of some of the wines like Seppeltsfield, Peter Lehmann, Wolf Blass etc.

Your right though, until about 1950 Australia was 95% white anglo-celtic, the USA has had a much longer tradition of migration from throughout Europe and elsewhere.

Australian place names changed from German names - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by sulkiercupid; 02-03-2012 at 03:57 AM..

Old 02-03-2012, 06:44 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,496,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Talking about race is racist!!!!???

I would think it was the content of what is said that might or might not be racist.
I'd say "mutt" is derogatory when referring to humans, that's just me though.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:47 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I'd say "mutt" is derogatory when referring to humans, that's just me though.
Is "half-breed" any less insulting?

Old 02-03-2012, 06:49 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,496,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Is "half-breed" any less insulting?
Just another label. I am Hispanic and White does that make me a half breed? (when in fact I am Native Indian, Spanish, Irish, Welsh) etc..

Old 02-03-2012, 06:59 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,132,171 times
each of my grandparents represent a different european nation except for hungry which the europeans dont consider a european country as it was originally settled by atilla the hun which is asian - no wonder i like chinese food - that makes me latvian, russian, hungarian and austrian - hows that for a mutt - bow wow !!

Old 02-03-2012, 07:04 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,828,747 times
Quote:
How rare is it to have 'pure' or predominant British ancestry? I assume that's confined mostly to certain regions, like New England and say Utah? If your last name is say Smith, I suppose it's pretty likely you're not even 50% English?
I've never met anyone with pure British ancestry unless they moved to the States from Britain. And I live in NY.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:16 AM

25,842 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
The "Complain about Immigrants" forum is thataway --------->
Am I complaining? I don't really thinks so, I mean I didn't mean for it to sound that way. I think I am just stating a fact. If this country does become a multi-language and multi-cultural society it will not be as strong as it has been in the past.

Hey, I'm democrat, I'm not one of these neocon hustlers with hate in my heart.

I just think for the good of the country and the good of the new Americans learning English and becoming an American is very important.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:36 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
I am American and have studied demographics all my long life.

Actually, the 3-state upper New England region has many of Quebec French ancestry along with British, and a limited number of Italians and Irish. The other 3 states of lower New England region are extremely diverse, full of Italians, Irish, Quebecers, Portuguese, Syrians, Jews, Poles, Hispanics (although the region's town and place names remain very English-sounding). Utah as you said, seems to have a mostly British and Danish-descended population (many Mormon migrants in the 1800s came from Denmark) although like everywhere, more Hispanic immigrants are filtering in.

A better example of a region where the White population is of nearly all British or Scots-Irish ancestry (with lesser amounts of early Huguenot French and German Luthern ancestry like Dale Earnhart) would be all of the U.S. SOUTHERN (that is, southeastern) states (except Florida, Texas, and Louisiana which are more diverse than all the other southern states). The southern Appalachian mountain region prides itself on Scots-Irish folk music and traditions, the annual Highland Gathering at Grandfather Mountain, etc.

exactly. this is why white southerners have a reputation of being inbred; we are not very genetically diverse. My parents are actually related, about 6 or 7 generations back, and some of their ancestors are related.

for me, i grew up in South Carolina. At the time of the Revolutionary War, all of my known ancestors were living in SC, NC, or VA. At the time of the Civil War, all of my known ancestors were living in SC. My mother's (Scottish) surname arrived in 1674 in Charleston, my (French) surname appeared in the 1650's in the Virginia Tidewater area.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:58 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I've never met anyone with pure British ancestry unless they moved to the States from Britain. And I live in NY.
You might find that the case in New England, especially NH, western MA, Maine.etc.

Most white people in Australia are of full or predominant British ancestry.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:12 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
You might find that the case in New England, especially NH, western MA, Maine.etc.
Have you been to New England? I don't think purely British ancestry is that common in New England. I wrote a longer post partially about that earlier in thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/22816586-post27.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy