Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 08:05 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times

Advertisements

In going through census records, I discovered my g-grandfather adopted a little girl, back in 1930. What was so unusual about that? Well, he was already 70 years old, and had 12 children at the time, and numerous grandchildren, including my own mother.

According to the records, she was 6 years old at the time. she kept her family name, they didn't change her name to g-grandpa's. I know sometimes people "adopted" children as servants, but why a 6-year old? Also, it said in the census she attends school. this also explains the perfect attendence certificates I found for her in grandpa's papers, both for school and Sunday school.

I assume they adopted her either because her parents died, or parents were sent to the poorhouse. I found her in the 1930 census, can't wait for the 1940 census to come out. Perhaps her family got back on their feet, took her back,maybe she married out, a lot happens in 10 years!.

Her name was supposedly Marcella Heneline, but I can't find anything under that name. Like another thread pointed out, lots of names were mispelled by census workers. Other possible names for Heneline? I thought perhaps Clementine? Any other ideas?

I found a blank form for adoption from then---this was in WV, among other things, it stated the adopting parents had to show they had the "good sense and experience" to be able to raise a child. After raising 12, I guess my g-grandparents had plenty of both!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 09:32 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,086,954 times
Mary,

I'm in a rush but I looked her up quickly and noted that in the 1930 census her name is actually spelled "Henyline". Yes, of course, names were frequently butchered.

There was a Marcella Cathleen Henline born 4 Nov 1923 to Arthur H. Henline and Eva Alice Rose in Clarksburg, Harrison County, WV. Think this might be your girl? Possible I suppose. Birthdates are sometimes approximated for the census. Are the parents names familiar to you?

Good luck!

Old 02-14-2012, 09:35 AM

Hey,

In 1930, Arthur Henline is an inmate in Fairmont, Marion County, WV. Same town and county your family is in. That would definitely be cause for his child to have been adopted.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:43 PM

WOW!

Thanks so much, Saralee!

No, the names aren't familiar, but the town, Clarksburg, is where my g-grandpa is from. I was "researching" late last night, too lazy to get my glasses, which were left in the car. I remember my mother mentioning "Marcella" many times, but never knew who she was.I guess I just got the spelling a bit off.

It is marvelous to see your family did good things, that sounds like the Grandpa I knew.

Hmmm.... I think I found the same records you did, LDS records? It just says inmate, could be a jail, or a mental institution, or even a poorhouse. I wonder what happened to his wife, records show him as single, maybe she cleared out?

Last edited by MaryleeII; 02-14-2012 at 01:38 PM..

Old 02-14-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
Hey,

In 1930, Arthur Henline is an inmate in Fairmont, Marion County, WV. Same town and county your family is in. That would definitely be cause for his child to have been adopted.

How did you find that? Did it say what he was in jail for?

Old 02-14-2012, 04:53 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I know sometimes people "adopted" children as servants, but why a 6-year old?
Our ancestors were lucky to have been taken up by very charitable people. I'm trying to verify the family story that my g-g-grandmother was on the Orphan Train - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia The talk that comes down through the family says she was, but I (and the other family researchers) can't find any paperwork. She was adopted by a prosperous merchant but is listed as a servant in the 1870 census. She also kept her own surname, but apparently she thought so much of the family who took her in, she named her oldest son after her adopted father. Later, it was found that she did have living parents; they moved to the area; but it seems she didn't have much to do with them.

Safety nets for children often came down to simply the open hearts of people. The configuration of my family tree would be a lot different if it wasn't for the generosity of strangers.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
Our ancestors were lucky to have been taken up by very charitable people. I'm trying to verify the family story that my g-g-grandmother was on the Orphan Train - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia The talk that comes down through the family says she was, but I (and the other family researchers) can't find any paperwork. She was adopted by a prosperous merchant but is listed as a servant in the 1870 census. She also kept her own surname, but apparently she thought so much of the family who took her in, she named her oldest son after her adopted father. Later, it was found that she did have living parents; they moved to the area; but it seems she didn't have much to do with them.

Safety nets for children often came down to simply the open hearts of people. The configuration of my family tree would be a lot different if it wasn't for the generosity of strangers.

If what I figure is true, little marcella would have passed away by now, but, perhaps, she has children it would be nice to connect with. This hobby leads to many things!

Old 02-14-2012, 07:41 PM

If you check the 1930 census, you will find Arthur Henline in Marion County Jail. Crime not listed.

Henline and variations of the German surname are heavily concentrated in WV/OH/KY/IN - you probably already knew that. As a result, it's kind of difficulty narrowing down whose who when you have a common surname coupled with popular given names of the era.

What I proposed is to you is a guesstimate of her parents, based on timeline and locations. It's probably right but just want to remind you it's not set in stone.

I spent quite a bit of time this evening trying to isolate the right Eva Rose in later years but can't be sure. Also, couldn't locate Marcella again but that appears to have been a somewhat popular choice in that area. (Which is funny to me, because I have a beautiful 5-month old cousin named Marcella - and she's the first one I've known .)

Since your mom discussed her, she must have remained a part of your family. And given your grandparents advanced age at the time of her adoption, perhaps she ultimately grew up with another relative - perhaps Mona? Jeesie and Roy? Are you in touch with their children?

Have you checked your grandparents obituaries for mention of her?

Consider that at some point, she may have taken the name Huffman. At the time of the 1930 census, she'd possibly just come to live with your folks.

If I think of anything else or come across anything useful, I will let you know.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:02 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,143,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post

I've got much the same situation, with different results. We have no family tradition that she was an Orphan Train rider, but I suspect she was. The time period and geographics (born in NYC and "adopted" in IL along the train line) make it likely. One of the two censuses taken while she was in their household, she was listed with their name. But she never really used it, and nothing about the family includes her as a member. It appears she was treated like a maid, and as soon as she was grown, she moved on. Kind of a sad situation.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:27 PM

The couple of people I know with stories about ancestors and the Orphan Train - it isn't pleasant. For many it was simply government sanctioned indentured servitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy