Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 11:57 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
That's true, but it helped that they were white, because their children spoke like Americans and looked like other white Americans. There weren't laws that specifically limited what jobs they could do, what schools they could attend, where they could live or whether they could vote or not simply because they were Irish. Still, it took about three generations for the Irish, like other white immigrants, to claw themselves up the socioeconomic ladder to the middle class.
There were ads for jobs in the papers 'Irish need not apply' - and then when the Irish worked their way into control, 'Italians need not apply'.

The whole thing was sick!

Even in my generation there were, and probably still are, places where most of the management is Irish or Italian or Jewish - probably holdovers from the old school when each of these groups was discriminated against.

You don't solve a problem by perpetuating petty resentments yourself, do you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 12:12 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
Both my parents were Irish and didn't drink any alcohol at all. There are drunks in any nationality.
I totally agree with you, but there are some who are genetically unable to handle alcohol as well as others. That's not prejudice, it's just a fact, just as some people are genetically more prone to diabetes and other ailments.

In school I learned genetic markers were found that corresponded with known alcoholics. The second largest group with those markers were teetotalers, oddly enough. It is as though they have some inner something telling them that alcohol may be a poison for them.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:58 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
Not your fault, some people have no sense of humor.

Signed, a Polish American who appreciates a very funny Polish joke.
On this thread we've been discussing genocidal atrocities against the Irish. I'll just bet that when it comes to discussing Poles being murdered for committing the crime of being Polish there's nothing you like better than someone parading out insulting stereotypes about Polish people. Yep, I'll bet you think that's a real knee slapper.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:01 PM
bjh

Quote:
I've got a great sense of humour but I do get a bit tired of people always equating being Irish with alcoholism. I missed the humour in Mightyqueen's post. It just wears a bit thin sometimes as some people are very fond of stereotyping people.

There are other nationalities that love their alcohol as well but don't come in for the same stereotyping as the Irish do.
Hear, hear.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:03 PM
bjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I totally agree with you, but there are some who are genetically unable to handle alcohol as well as others. That's not prejudice, it's just a fact, just as some people are genetically more prone to diabetes and other ailments.

In school I learned genetic markers were found that corresponded with known alcoholics. The second largest group with those markers were teetotalers, oddly enough. It is as though they have some inner something telling them that alcohol may be a poison for them.
Those markers are dispersed among the individuals of every human population group.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:01 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
I've got a great sense of humour but I do get a bit tired of people always equating being Irish with alcoholism. I missed the humour in Mightyqueen's post. It just wears a bit thin sometimes as some people are very fond of stereotyping people.

There are other nationalities that love their alcohol as well but don't come in for the same stereotyping as the Irish do.
If you read the post correctly I am MOCKING the stereotype. And my ex-husband. He was a drunk because he was a drunk. He just happened to be Irish.

The stereotype did come from SOMEWHERE, however, and maybe it's because the Irish found owning bars as a way to make a living? There are bars all over New York City with Irish names. Very few named Brzynski's Pub or Goldstein's Tavern.

It is definitely a stereotype that the Irish have had to struggle against. John Fitzgerald, mayor of Boston and grandfather of JFK, would never be seen in public with a drink in his hand because he did not want to perpetuate that stereotype of the Irish.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:41 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Once Jimmy Cagney was asked in an interview what was the most common characteristic of the Irish; the writer probably expected some nonsense like love of life and language, sense of humor; saints and scholars; you know the drill.

Cagney replied "Malice". And damned right he was too.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:47 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

The stereotype did come from SOMEWHERE, however, and maybe it's because the Irish found owning bars as a way to make a living?
More likely because the Irish ARE comparatively big mooners.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:36 PM

2,661 posts, read 5,471,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
If you read the post correctly I am MOCKING the stereotype. And my ex-husband. He was a drunk because he was a drunk. He just happened to be Irish.

The stereotype did come from SOMEWHERE, however, and maybe it's because the Irish found owning bars as a way to make a living? There are bars all over New York City with Irish names. Very few named Brzynski's Pub or Goldstein's Tavern.

It is definitely a stereotype that the Irish have had to struggle against. John Fitzgerald, mayor of Boston and grandfather of JFK, would never be seen in public with a drink in his hand because he did not want to perpetuate that stereotype of the Irish.
The English drink just as much alcohol as the Irish and have the same problems as the Irish do. The same with the Scots and many other populations like the Czech etc. Why is there a particular stereotype of the Irish being the drunks? The popularity of Irish themed pubs is also because of the Irish reputation of being a sociable and fun-loving people who have the gift of the gab and are musical. It has connations of being a pleasant place to relax and have a drink.

Many Irish pubs are not even owned by Irish. Where I live one of the most popular Irish pubs is actually owned by an Italian.

I know you were singling out your husband but it is just like what I've said previously I get sick of the Irish as being always singled out as alcoholics. The Irish have as a nationality had to deal with a lot of stereotyping and discrimination.

Last edited by Bernie20; 09-11-2013 at 10:51 PM..

Old 09-11-2013, 10:46 PM

2,661 posts, read 5,471,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Once Jimmy Cagney was asked in an interview what was the most common characteristic of the Irish; the writer probably expected some nonsense like love of life and language, sense of humor; saints and scholars; you know the drill.

Cagney replied "Malice". And damned right he was too.
Yes of course the Irish are particularly malicious.

Why don't people use some of the good stereotypes of the Irish such as their great storytelling ability, their great sense of humour and their warmth and generosity?

In any year you will find that the Irish per capita are one of the biggest givers to charity in the world. Every year Ireland will be one of the top countries.

This is from this year even though they are suffering difficult financial times themselves.

The survey finds that Ireland has the highest level of participation in donating money, with 79% of people giving in a typical month. On this count, Australia came second, with a score of 76%.

Australians Have a Big Heart, Ranked World

From 2011
World Giving Index 2011: Ireland now 2nd most charitable country on the planet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy