Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 11:18 AM

20,683 posts, read 23,790,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
So called "Ulster Scots", also known as Scotch Irish, ARE Irish.
No they are not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 12:59 PM
bjh

59,746 posts, read 30,187,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
It is because the Irish are Catholic and that is why. It has been spread to the Americans by the English.
It was to do with more than religion. The Irish were portrayed and described by the British as being like chimpanzees. They were de-humanized to create an excuse to destroy them.

Quote:
That must be a crime is it then pet?
Not a crime. Just a gross inaccuracy.

Old 09-16-2013, 03:01 AM

2,673 posts, read 5,432,753 times
Quote:
Why does this Bernie person come into every forum about Irish people claiming to speak the gift of the gab when he doesn't even live in Ireland?
Have you got a problem with that Mac? I've told you before that I was born in Ireland and I am of full Irish heritage. I've also told you I'm female. My family migrated to Australia but went back to both Dublin and Tipperary no less than 4 times to live and returned to Australia. My father could never settle in Australia. When he retired he went back every year and stayed for a few months. My father's family is from Sligo and Roscommon. I've got plenty of connections to the land of my birth as all my relatives are over there. I don't know why I have to explain myself to you anyway. You seem to think you have a right to say who can comment and cannot comment on issues. I've had this problem with you before.

Don't you still claim connections to Scotland? And how long have your family been in NI?

As if I don't know about my own nationality

If I can't be described as Irish who can? I also have dual Irish and Australian citizenship so I have every right to comment on Irish issues. What passport do you have by the way?

Last edited by Bernie20; 09-16-2013 at 03:36 AM..

Old 09-16-2013, 08:27 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,144,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
There were ads for jobs in the papers 'Irish need not apply' - and then when the Irish worked their way into control, 'Italians need not apply'.

The whole thing was sick!

Even in my generation there were, and probably still are, places where most of the management is Irish or Italian or Jewish - probably holdovers from the old school when each of these groups was discriminated against.

You don't solve a problem by perpetuating petty resentments yourself, do you?
One of my uncles worked for 30+ years in a large foundry in Buffalo, NY. His observation of the ethnic hierarchy at the factory was: Italian and Polish workers, Irish foremen, American bosses. There were no blacks working there at all although by the time he retired in the 1960s, Buffalo had a large black population.

I am really saddened when I hear the children and grandchildren of immigrants who were maligned and discriminated against for no reason other than that they were immigrants spewing hatred for newer immigrants, primarily Latinos.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:38 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,632,334 times
I don't want to raise any more ire, but I think this might be part of the reason people didn't like the Irish:

'"[SIZE=-1]In New York and in the United States at large, the spread of cholera was also anticipated. The New Yorkers saw the disease as the righteous consequence of God's judgment upon those who were not in God's grace. This attitude was further enhanced by the fact that the disease had affected primarily those persons who lived sinful lives, therefore it was the consequence of sin in those areas of the world least populated by Christians. There was also an attitude that those who were good, clean and temperate would escape the ravages of Cholera, as the disease was seen as a "poor man's plague."[/SIZE] [LEFT][SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]"Cholera entered Canada with a ship of Irish immigrants and quickly spread southward into New York through Albany. It also entered New York through the St. Lawrence and along the shores of Lake Ontario. The disease also was transported into New York through immigrant ships. By June of 1832, the disease appeared in New York City and by July the city saw one hundred deaths a day. By September, over 3,000 were dead. Many of the population fled the city and much of New York's businesses were closed."
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]"[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Many of the immigrant ships to North America brought cholera to the United States. The ships were overcrowded and had poor sanitation and were natural habitats for the disease. Otentimes, local residents demonstrated when immigrations ships arrived, fearful that the ships might be harboring the deadly cholera. Oftentimes, even quarantining infected immigrants did not halt the spread of the disease. Irish Catholics were seen as the source of the deadly disease. As the newest immigrants, the Irish lived in the worst housing and the most crowded conditions, unable to afford good medical care, good water or flight from the epidemic."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Source: Plagues and Diseases[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Then, there's poor "Typhoid Mary," as became Mary Mallon's moniker after it was discovered that she was immune to the disease and then banished for decades off Manhattan island. She immigrated in 1884 but didn't start spreading it until 1900, when she became a cook, so maybe a "new wave" of health problems became associated with the Irish, thus causing people to not like the Irish. It's hard to change public opinion.
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Source: Typhoid Mary - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE]
[/LEFT]

Old 10-17-2013, 08:50 PM

2,673 posts, read 5,432,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
I don't want to raise any more ire, but I think this might be part of the reason people didn't like the Irish:

'"[SIZE=-1]In New York and in the United States at large, the spread of cholera was also anticipated. The New Yorkers saw the disease as the righteous consequence of God's judgment upon those who were not in God's grace. This attitude was further enhanced by the fact that the disease had affected primarily those persons who lived sinful lives, therefore it was the consequence of sin in those areas of the world least populated by Christians. There was also an attitude that those who were good, clean and temperate would escape the ravages of Cholera, as the disease was seen as a "poor man's plague."[/SIZE] [LEFT][SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]"Cholera entered Canada with a ship of Irish immigrants and quickly spread southward into New York through Albany. It also entered New York through the St. Lawrence and along the shores of Lake Ontario. The disease also was transported into New York through immigrant ships. By June of 1832, the disease appeared in New York City and by July the city saw one hundred deaths a day. By September, over 3,000 were dead. Many of the population fled the city and much of New York's businesses were closed." [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]"[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Many of the immigrant ships to North America brought cholera to the United States. The ships were overcrowded and had poor sanitation and were natural habitats for the disease. Otentimes, local residents demonstrated when immigrations ships arrived, fearful that the ships might be harboring the deadly cholera. Oftentimes, even quarantining infected immigrants did not halt the spread of the disease. Irish Catholics were seen as the source of the deadly disease. As the newest immigrants, the Irish lived in the worst housing and the most crowded conditions, unable to afford good medical care, good water or flight from the epidemic."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Source: Plagues and Diseases[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Then, there's poor "Typhoid Mary," as became Mary Mallon's moniker after it was discovered that she was immune to the disease and then banished for decades off Manhattan island. She immigrated in 1884 but didn't start spreading it until 1900, when she became a cook, so maybe a "new wave" of health problems became associated with the Irish, thus causing people to not like the Irish. It's hard to change public opinion. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Source: Typhoid Mary - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1] [/SIZE][/LEFT]
I think this is an outcome of discrimination and repression. This wasn't the start of Irish discrimination it happened for centuries before under British rule.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:19 PM
bjh

59,746 posts, read 30,187,814 times
Cholera and other disease likewise happened for centuries before and in every culture. But it wasn't uncommon for new immigrants to be seen as dirty and too different and generally to be used as scapegoats for anything that went wrong. Another example: the flu epidemic of 1918 was called Spanish flu. In fact, it originated in the British trenches in France during WW1 and spread out from there. But blame the Spanish.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:31 AM

88,042 posts, read 83,879,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Cholera and other disease likewise happened for centuries before and in every culture. But it wasn't uncommon for new immigrants to be seen as dirty and too different and generally to be used as scapegoats for anything that went wrong. Another example: the flu epidemic of 1918 was called Spanish flu. In fact, it originated in the British trenches in France during WW1 and spread out from there. But blame the Spanish.
And remember that the English called syphilis the French disease and the French called it the English disease.

I guess we can assign blame for germs to whomever fits the bill at the moment.

Old 10-26-2013, 03:17 PM

7 posts, read 12,328 times
There were pros and cons in the old days to the arrival of Irish people in Britain, North America etc. On the pro side the Irish provided a lot of the labour that created the wealth of our cities and they populated and cultivated the new lands.

On the con side the Irish came from a less developed country with a lot of problems. Every now and then through history the British tried to integrate Ireland into Britain but made a right mess of it so that it was never properly British or properly Irish and was mostly a neglected part of the British Isles.

The Irish in the 19th century were often less healthy than other people and more likely to be involved in crime and unruly behaviour. There was a lot of poverty in Ireland and the character of the people was brutalised. The Irish out of Ireland however tended to do better for themselves than those who stayed in Ireland and eventually overcame their difficulties in their new countries.

M

Old 10-26-2013, 05:47 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,209,145 times
Hahah I grew up downunder and my folks (especially my dad) loathed the Irish.

My mother wanted all Irish and all Arabs to be blown up, quite the radical statement for her.

My dad just loathed all religion especially Catholicism.

I got sent to a Catholic school () and he would ask me "how were the Micky Finns today?".

Irish have long had a reputation for being quite mad, I think it originates from The Troubles.

Religions in general have been responsible for a lot of bloodshed so that's why religion was looked down upon.

We're just not that secular down here. Anyone who is a practicing Christian is pretty much viewed as nuts.

Sorry to offend! It's not my view, my bff is a Catholic girl whose father was literally born in an Irish potato field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy