Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 08:10 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflies1375 View Post
Whatever site you go with make sure you check the newspapers they access. Genealogybank sends me email daily trying to get me to sign up but they don't carry any papers that I need. Archives.com I couldn't find a list of the papers they offered and my genealogy friend said they limit you to 10 paper searches a day.
I can search ancestry for you if you are looking for something specific.
Thanks, I'm already a member of ancesty.com and archives.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 08:31 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,748 times
Explore Historical Newspaper Archives Online | NewspaperARCHIVE.com is $72/year. Be careful and make sure you UNcheck the box that says "thanks for donating another $2/month for <some starving kid charity>".

I've found it helpful for looking up wedding/birth/obit announcements, not to mention nefarious details about ancestors. I just read about a 2nd cousin who died in a mysterious house fire. The paper didn't shy away from the gruesome details . The coroner was going to rule it as an accidental fire until someone must have tapped him on the shoulder and pointed out the 3" hole in the back of her head. Then there was a g-g-aunt who was struck by lightning (on a clear day) while out hanging the wash. None of that has been passed down in the oral history of the family.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:52 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I thought there had been a thread here about how you could get very old newspaper articles from Google. I remember trying it when someone posted about it, and I found some cool items, like obituaries on ancestors.

But now it doesn't seem to exist anymore. It appears that Google dropped the service.

How else can you get old searchable newspapers online? For free? I do have a paid membership to Genealogybank, and I can get some there, but I believe there were some on Google that were not on Genealogybank.

I did see several outfits that charge a fee, but I don't want to pay an annual fee until I hear good reviews from other people. One was over $100 for one year.
Try the website of the LIBRARY OF CONGRESS. They have an archive, for free, that eventually will include EVERY newspaper ever printed (if still available) in the USA back to Revolutionary War times. It is a great resource and last I checked it is close to being complete.
GL2

Old 02-28-2012, 09:04 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
Thanks everyone for all the links and suggestions! I'm going to bookmark this thread to use as a reference. I hope it'll help others as well.

Oh--I just figured out last night that on Genealogybank, not all of the death notices/obits in the newspapers are catalogued. I couldn't find one of my ancestors when I searched, but when I browsed the newspaper for a few days after his death, I found his death notice. So if you use that site, don't just give up if a person doesn't show up in a search.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:42 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Pennsylvania Digital Repository has some newspaper archives for free, I have found several articles of one of my branches in the Ambler Gazette: Access Pennsylvania Digital Repository : Advanced Search - the Philadelphia Inquirer is not included though.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:56 PM

188 posts, read 587,901 times
I just want to thank you all for this thread. I went to the now defunct google archives through a link on this thread and I can't believe what I am pulling up. I found a "recent bride" announcement of my grand mother and other items about my great grand father. And I've only opened three articles! I have many more to go. I've always been interested in genealogy but am just now getting serious about this. Thanks again!

Old 03-05-2012, 04:13 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
Some libraries will search newspaper microfilm for a very small fee. I got some St. Louis obits not online and paid less than $5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy