Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 02:13 PM

10,210 posts, read 17,864,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Mine is named Samuel. You would think by searching for Sam or Samuel he would pop up, right? WRONG "Saml"!!!
Saml is shorthand for Samuel. You'll see this a lot on censuses - I have a lot of censuses that list names like "Wm" for William, "Chas" for Charles or "Geo" for George. It is not a nickname, just an abbreviation for enumerators who do so much writing and sometimes have to fit a lot of text into a small space.

You may also sometimes find them in church records. I was confused by this at first too but you get used to it and even start looking for them.

In fact, here's a list:

Appendix:Abbreviations for English given names - Wiktionary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 02:49 PM

10,210 posts, read 17,864,610 times
Come to think of it, my most frustrating thing with names is Norwegian names - before they had surnames and just went by "Simon Gregorsen" whose father was "Gregor Larsen". It's good in the sense that you always know what the first name of someone's father was - but without a common surname to link them, it's very difficult to find the right records. I may know that Gregor's father was Lars but there were a lot of Gregors with a Lars as a father. So frustrating...

Well, that and all the records are in Norwegian... that makes it difficult too.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:00 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,890,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Well, that and all the records are in Norwegian... that makes it difficult too.
that cracked me up!

Old 03-05-2012, 04:02 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,397,515 times
I had an aunt named GAY. She was first listed as Lillian Gay, then Lil Gay, then Lil Guy, then Little guy

Old 03-05-2012, 04:06 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,375,811 times
I like when they use middle names because then one knows what it stands for. Some people only ever had their first initials on documents. Almost seems like: why report the name or marriage, etc. at all if it's A.R Smith? Why not tell us it's Albert R. Smith, etc. People just didn't realize they were setting down records for all times apparently.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:21 PM

Or try researching newspaper articles

women were usually listed by their husbands name---Mrs. John Smith, not Mary Smith. I had an uncle married 3x, try researching him! It took awhile until he was married multiple times---I was marvelling at the lady who bore 34 kids

Old 03-05-2012, 04:26 PM

Hey, all of this is what makes genealogy fun, right?

My dh is now hooked as well. Far be it from him to connect to an inappropriate link. He's an engineer, very precise, etc.

For me, I've found a straight line back via my m-grandmother that's indisputable, even according to dh. Its like getting on the express train, as opposed to the bus that stops in every town. I am simply amazed at what I've found, little old Grandma was a direct decendant of a guy kicked out of Germany for poaching on the king's lands! Way to go, Grandma!

Old 03-05-2012, 04:54 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,613,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
True but I find swapping names or nicknames easier to find than names which are simply slaughtered in spelling. I have one census where Godshall is spelled Gutnoll. That one flew under the radar for a while. I always keep nicknames and middle names in mind while searching - Behind the Name: Meaning of Names, Baby Name Meanings can be of help with linking nicknames to formal names.
Ahh yes, the phonetic misspelling of a mis-pronunciation. I love those

Childress > Childers> Chambers

Bolen > Bowlin > Bolling

Or my own family name where a second T was added to end of name.

And then some search sites let you set "Exact Spelling" , or not. Others force you to look at every possible phonetic possibility

Last edited by reed303; 03-05-2012 at 04:55 PM.. Reason: bolding

Old 03-05-2012, 06:02 PM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
Isn't it sad that those people in the olden days were so busy trying to make ends meet working 14, 16 hour days didn't have the time to go to school learn to read and write and keep accurate records for future generations that they didn't even know or care about. It probably wasn't their #1 priority. Census recording in those days were strictly for purposes other than genealogy research. Don't get mad at them, you should feel sorry for them. We're actually lucky to even have what info we can get. If you go back 1000 years ago you have to deal with names like ADVKL or VROHL or even OVEHY carved in stone born in MCLII or such.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:48 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,890,741 times
All I can say is 100 years from now, our descendents will be sifting through a whole bunch of Kaitlyns, Briannas, Conners, Bookers, etc. No one I know in my age group ever named their kid after a parent or grandparent.

They'll see "Misty Jones" on the census, and later find that she went by Misty but her given name was Reece Brooke Jones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy