U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 12:40 AM

1 posts, read 67,096 times

Advertisements

It's very interesting reading some of these comments, as someone who is of Spanish/Mexican decent I would agree with most of you. However I do know that the filipino language is very different then spanish. 97% of the filipino language has absolutly NOTHING to do with spanish. Although there are some words that are similar I would not consider it realted to Spanish, I mean even French along with many other languages have similar words but are not the same. As for last names this is very true, most filipinos have adopted spanish last names without having one drop of Spanish blood and religion is a shared practice aswell. The only thing that can connect filipinos and latins together is the fact that the Spanish occupied that area at a certain point in time, thats it and thats all. It's a common thing for many different brown ethnic groups to try and identify with one another when in reality they are not the same. So are filipinos the same as latin? I would say no we are not the same but there is absolutly nothing wrong with thinking so.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:53 AM

394 posts, read 1,295,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmartinez84 View Post
It's very interesting reading some of these comments, as someone who is of Spanish/Mexican decent I would agree with most of you. However I do know that the filipino language is very different then spanish. 97% of the filipino language has absolutly NOTHING to do with spanish. Although there are some words that are similar I would not consider it realted to Spanish, I mean even French along with many other languages have similar words but are not the same. As for last names this is very true, most filipinos have adopted spanish last names without having one drop of Spanish blood and religion is a shared practice aswell. The only thing that can connect filipinos and latins together is the fact that the Spanish occupied that area at a certain point in time, thats it and thats all. It's a common thing for many different brown ethnic groups to try and identify with one another when in reality they are not the same. So are filipinos the same as latin? I would say no we are not the same but there is absolutly nothing wrong with thinking so.
My Filipino grandfather's last name is Fuentes, as was his parents'. I would like to find out if he does have Spanish blood. Not that it matters in any way other than I am just curious. I haven't done any research on the Filipino side yet, but I'm interested in learning whatever I can about it. When I took the AncestryDNA test, my East Asian was a lot higher than I thought it would be, 44%. I did have a Chinese 2x great-grandfather who married my Hawaiian 2x great-grandmother. Their granddaughter, my grandmother, married my Filipino grandfather. There is no other East Asian blood, so I guess that Filipino blood counted for most of it. Still seems high, though.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:49 AM

1,483 posts, read 2,823,020 times
Please excuse my generalization, but I am not a history buff, so I am only relaying what I was told. Apparently, the Spaniards conquered the Philippines in the past. I agree that there is a Spanish link. Some of the women even look Spanish and of course the last name.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:47 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,133,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
Please excuse my generalization, but I am not a history buff, so I am only relaying what I was told. Apparently, the Spaniards conquered the Philippines in the past. I agree that there is a Spanish link. Some of the women even look Spanish and of course the last name.
The Philippines was a colony of Spain for 333 years until 1898 when it was ceded to the United States for $20 million dollars. The US then controlled the Philippines (with a brief interuption by the Japanese during WWII) until July 4, 1946 when they gained their independence.

Of course, there was heavy Spanish influence during this time. Many Filipinos spoke Spanish, especially in commerce. They also learned English after 1898. Their national language, Tagalog, officially established in 1897 is spoken by most people, but there a many other dialects. Also, many Spaniards in the Philippines married Filipina women, thus you have Spanish surnames (my Filipina wife has one). She considers herself Asian with Spanish influence and never refers to herself as Latino. She is also multi-lingual and speaks three languages fluently (English, Tagalog, Illicano) as well as Spanish.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:40 PM

1,868 posts, read 6,768,906 times
Quote:
The Philippines is an archipelago located in the western Pacific. Due to its location, the country is physically isolated from its neighboring Asian countries, but nevertheless makes it a strategic place for both Westerners and Easterners to exchange goods and transact business. Thus came the moniker "The Pearl of the Orient".

As such, over the years, the Philippines has become a melting pot of cultures - with much of the influences coming from over 300 years of Spanish occupation and 40 years of American rule. Before the Spanish era, Filipinos were already interacting with Chinese, Indians and Arabs. During World War II, Japan took over the Philippines. For the past ten years, there has been a Korean diaspora in the Philippines.

The term Filipino/Filipina is a nationality and not a race or ethnicity. It's more like the term American. One can be an African-American, Asian-American or white American. Thus, it is politically incorrect to say "she doesn't look Filipina to me" to a half-Filipino half-British.

Having said that, the face of modern Filipina/Filipino has three major facets: the Morena/Moreno, or brown-skinned, almond-eyed, and more Austronesian-looking woman/man; the Chinita/Chinito, or a woman/man who tends to look Oriental/East Asian (not necessarily with Chinese blood, can be of any skin tone); and the Mestiza/Mestizo, or the fair-skinned woman/man with Caucasian features (not necessarily half Filipino-half Caucasian). Still, the most dominant of these are those with Malayan stock. It is difficult to know, statistically, the exact number of pure, half-blood, quarter-blood, since the census does not identify one's racial backgrounds.

Note however, that there are many who don't fall exactly to either of the three categories. Some have all the features, and some tend to look Indian (or Bumbay) or Black (Negro/Negrito, though a Negrito is not African), etc. Also, there have been confusions since many have physical features that are totally in direct contrast to their genes (for instance, a half-Filipino half-American may not look Caucasian at all due to a darker skin color, or a Filipino with no direct (1/2 or 1/4) Spanish-blood or any caucasian blood may look very Mestiza/Mestizo).
Moreno/Morena
literally means brown or brunette in Spanish, pertaining to the brownish skin color which is the Morena/Moreno most distinguishing feature. Most Morena/Moreno are of Malay (technically correct term is Austronesian, as one might misinterpret it as Malaysian) stock.

Others who has lighter skinned.

The Mestizo/Mestiza
can be half-Filipinos and half-whatever white. But many are actually pure Filipinos who have Spanish or other caucasian ancestry (quarter, 1/8, etc)

Chinita/Chinito Beauties
The Chinita/Chinito main feature is the eye. And even if one is of Japanese or Korean lineage, they are usually called Chinita/Chinito because they have the Chinita/Chinito eyes. In fact, many Chinita/Chinito don't even have East Asian blood at all.

Others may fall that look like Indian or Black

There's also Filipinos that really look totally white

We also have Negritos

These are all Filipino Citizens residing in the Philippines

Culture wise we have different cultures with East Asians or other Asians although we have similarities with them too but not the entire culture of the Filipinos. As a lowlanders I don't practice the East Asians, Muslim tradition or any Indigenous tribe. We have our own that quite different I guess...

Last edited by pinai; 07-02-2012 at 09:12 PM..

Old 07-02-2012, 10:17 PM

^except the lady boxer filipina she's residing in the US but both parents is Filipino.

Sometimes people mixed-up the Full blooded Filipino (meaning both parents is Filipino Citizen or both came from the Philippines) to Half Filipinos (meaning 1 parent is totally foreign)

Example:

mostly they are descendants of mestizos but mistaken as half Filipinos. If you look a bit different from the rest of the Filipinos, people will tell you oh you're not a Filipino just because they don't look like the majority of Filipinos & some of them they are not even 1/4 or 1/8 caucasian mix, but they are actually a full blooded. There are Filipinos with other ancestries. We are Asians because we are just located in Asia. Philippines in general is still different same as the other Asians.

Sulu Mindanao Princess

She's full Filipino, A lot from Filipino muslims
they have middle eastern ancestry.

Last edited by pinai; 07-02-2012 at 11:44 PM..

Old 07-02-2012, 11:42 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,789,925 times
LMAO @ 'latin asians' or 'hispanic asians' wtf is this crap?

they're asian. smh

Old 07-02-2012, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
LMAO @ 'latin asians' or 'hispanic asians' wtf is this crap?

they're asian. smh
No, we don't consider ourselves as latin or hispanic.. we are just Filipinos in Asia. We are proud being Filipino.We have Hispanic Culture but we are not Hispanic. Like Lalaine said she may have spanish on her but she's not spanish because she's Filipino Some people are just ignorant when they think about what an Asian person should look like. People think we should look like Northeast Asians & that we all have the same cultures. There is Kazakhs, Turks, Indo-Aryan (Central, Western, South Asians who look like Caucasians/Caucasoid), they only focus in East Asia and South East Asian looking as Asians. They didn't knew that all Asians have diversity or different looks.

Some Filipinos has American Ancestry due to American
Colonization and US Naval Base was stationed in the Philippines
before and there are 50,000 Amerasians.

Some has German Ancestry

Some are also with Mexican Ancestry

The guy is with Puerto Rican ancestry

There are also some russians who fled in the Philippines during the war in Russia
stayed in the Philippines and married Filipinos.

These are just some of the Filipinos that living in the Philippines

etc.

Last edited by pinai; 07-03-2012 at 01:13 AM..

Old 07-03-2012, 07:40 AM

Some may actually pass as one of Latinas

Old 09-08-2012, 05:00 PM

1 posts, read 66,672 times
Pilipinas IS Latin Asia. Anyone who's well travelled will understand it.
It's a lot like Latin America less the African culture plus the Asian culture.

Also, don't be surprised to see Filipinos who look Latino. If you mix a brown Mexican with a Chinese + malay... You'll get Jessica Sanchez. :P lol really just a matter of dominant and recessive genes.

As a general principle, the norther you go to PH the more Chinese it gets (ie. Marcos), the Souther -The more Malay. The closer you get to the ports, forts and business centers - the more mestizo it gets... Mestizo as in either Chino, Spanish, or Latino mestizo. Just go to any catholic school in big cities like Manila- halos lahat may halo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or