U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 02:28 PM

3 posts, read 20,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
They generally don't speak Spanish as a first language & most have little to no Spanish ancestry (Spanish & Spanish-sounding surnames were just adopted by many). The influence is mainly cultural & linguistic, and even that is limited in comparison to other former Spanish colonies.

I think "Asian" is the most accurate of these terms. However, I don't care what people self-identify as.
In general I have found that the U.S. Government has a separate category for Filipinos, namely "Filipinos". Filipinos are actually geographically, Asian (which is not an ethnic term but a geographic one), Pacific Islander (which is geographic as well, but usually reserved for Guamanians, Tongans and Fijians, Somoans, etc.) and Hispanic, because of their Spanish heritage. While only about 5% speak Spanish or "Spanish-Creole", a much higher percentage shares some level of ethnic heritage through mixing. In categorizing ethnicities, the U.S. government makes many technical mistakes. "White" is not an ethnicity either.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
If this isn't the correct forum for this question, please redirect me.

The term "Hispanic" originated during the 1970s to specifically enumerate certain people of Spanish derivation (generally Mexicans, Spanish-speaking Caribbean people, and maybe it has expanded to Central Americans and South Americans given their migration to the US in recent years.

Despite Filipinos being of Spanish derivation in the Asian part of the world, I have always noticed that on forms, they are generally listed with other Asian groups but not with "Hispanics."

I have always thought of them as Asians, not Hispanics.
Do you classify yourselves as Polynesians?

How do you classify yourselves? There's a conversation going on in another chat where no Filipinos are included and I'd just like to get someone who is Filipino to comment so we can stop speculating.

Thank you!!
I do not believe this to be correct. If you mean current Spanish or Creole-Spanish speaking people, you may be correct on the 3-4%, but I've always been told it is closer to 5%. That being said, the question was about people of Spanish descent or ancestry. That in fact is much, much larger as many, many Filipinos are of mixed race both from the Spanish and from the Chinese, but in fact speak neither languages. Without absolute DNA proof, the numbers might be hard to establish, but perhaps there has been research. Nevertheless, except for in the most remote areas, probably there are very few Filipinos of pure Malay blood today. Just an observation and conjecture, but one which needs to be researched more fully.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
I have read the information on Wikipedia but my question is more about how Filipinos in America classify themselves. Do they consider themselves to fall under the "Hispanic" label or not? Under the Asian label or not?

Thanks!
I do not believe this to be correct. If you mean current Spanish or Creole-Spanish speaking people, you may be correct on the 3-4%, but I've always been told it is closer to 5%. That being said, the question was about people of Spanish descent or ancestry. That in fact is much, much larger as many, many Filipinos are of mixed race both from the Spanish and from the Chinese, but in fact speak neither languages. Without absolute DNA proof, the numbers might be hard to establish, but perhaps there has been research. Nevertheless, except for in the most remote areas, probably there are very few Filipinos of pure Malay blood today. Just an observation and conjecture, but one which needs to be researched more fully. And while there is still an enclave of Spanish-speaking Filipinos in Manila, the largest numbers are most likely in Cavité, Zamboanga and Basilan Island, Mindanao.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:42 AM

2,603 posts, read 3,768,521 times
Filipino people are Asian. Even culturally the Philippines is mostly Asian. The Spanish contribution is over estimated. Genetically the Spanish left little in the Filipino population. There was only a very small amount of Spanish that went to the Philippines and the native population there was always large. If anyone wants to know what their ancestry is they can easily do a genetic test which would show where their people come from.

The Spanish men are majority yR1b and Filipinos are yO.
Haplogroup O-M175 (Y-DNA) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Haplogroup R1b (Y-DNA) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-03-2013, 09:20 AM

400 posts, read 1,260,385 times
filipinos are considered asian. many countries were invader by colonizers but not necessarily considered dutch/ english/ spanish ... whatever. there is an african nation (equitoreal guinea) that speaks spanish as well but its descendants are considered african not spanish

Old 03-06-2013, 12:04 AM

9 posts, read 47,410 times
Default People, Come On now - Filipinos are Asian

Geographically (look at a map, twirl a globe . . .) The Philippines is in Asia.

Any of the tacky stuff is "Colonial" residue from the seafaring voyages of the spanish galleons. Filipinos aren't any more Spanish or Hispanic in blood than Chevy's or Chipotle is Mexican. (If any Filipino tries, hopes, prays, fantasizes, is delusional . . . . nothing is going to make him or her "Hispanic," "Latino," "Chicano," or "Macho" - - - intiendes, ese?

The Philippines is geographically located next to Vietnam, Laos, Thailand, and Malaysia. The Philippines is above Indonesia. The Philippines is right below Hong Kong and Taiwan. 25% of the language of the Philippines is Sanskrit and related to other languages spoken by the cultures and ethnicities of neighboring countries.

You can draw a square, circle, or connect dots to the countries in Asia and Southeast Asia if it helps you remember the geographic part of the globe called the Far East (Asia and South East Asia specifically).

One must make distinctions:

a) Geographic
b) Ethnic (DNA Haplogroups)
c) Cultural (original vs. colonial << completely displaced and artificial / un-natural)

It's truly - - - I mean, "R-E-A-L-L-Y" a "sssssttttttrrrrrreeeeeetttttttccccccchhhhhh" to describe, pass-off, throw the hood over someone's eyes and say that someone from the place called the Philippines (from colonial rule) is in any way, shape, or form "Hispanic" (latino, chicano, muchacho, machismo)

No way, Jose. No way. LOL. Filipinos are Southeast Asian just like their surrounding related relatives. In fact, the first related cousin is the Ami from Taiwan.

Sowwwy, Latinos. We are very very southeast asian, and we know it. Truly some people are confused. Just explore, open up the world, a map, buy a globe . . . (if not a plane ticket) and take a 12 - 16 hour plane ride from California over to the far far land of the rising sun. Spanish isn't the dominant language in the Philippines - - - never has been, and the makeup of the people is fairly Un-mixed and unadulterated. Any information to the contrary is basic b.s. to fend off further inquiries, because Filipinos just let people think their uninformed beliefs. It's part of the "smile" and be happy nice culture. Not a Filipino around who would call themself hispanic unless they believed some untruth told to them from a young age. Like, 1% of the population of the Philipines has any hispanic roots - - - asian all the way. Yes, we have some very scrawny males who want to have a little more machismo and fantasize about being latin somehow because they hear they can drink a lot of alcohol and have fist fights. However, for the most part Filipinos are small and scrawny and more suited to cerebral pursuits rather than anything super muscular. This is a compliment, and it's true -

To the Far East !!! To southeast ASIA !!! The Philippines is a member of the ASEAN (the Association of SouthEast Asian Nations). Nuff Said. Any comparisons are attempts to hispanicize the philippines in this day and age is superficial and a desperate attempt at best. )

As much as anyone might want to, that country can't be lifted, carried, or uprooted into central or south america - - - nothin' doin. (that's another educational exercise: go to the globe and point out "the Americas" << where hispanics and latinos live. Hint: it is not in southeast or east asia)

Old 03-06-2013, 01:09 AM

Geographically (look at a map, twirl a globe . . .) The Philippines is in Asia.

Any of the tacky stuff (someone mentioned above) is colonial "residue" <as in, "ewww. i just touched some sort of sticky residue. ewww. ewww.> from the seafaring voyages of the spanish galleons (i.e. those ill-fitting customs are a waste product of the foreign invader). Filipinos aren't any more Spanish or Hispanic in blood than Chevy's or Chipotle is Mexican. (If any Filipino tries, hopes, prays, fantasizes, (is delusional) . . . . nothing is going to make him or her "Hispanic," "Latino," "Chicano," or "Macho") - - - Lo Entiendes? A Filipino will say then know Spanish, but I dare you to make one speak it. I'll bet you $50 it won't even sound as good as a white person trying to order at Taco Bell. Call them on their !@#$$%%. It will sound bad. That makes me happy. Why? Because as a Filipina-American I am happy that the dominant language which prevailed was NOT Spanish. Spanish is not an indigenous language, and was not taught to the native people. The galleons brough violence and oppression. Why would anyone be proud of that? <That's for another discussion> For example when Georgia gained independence, statues of Lenin and Stalin were torn down. However, for sentimental reasons there remained some Spanish "residue" in the Philippines that was hard to wash off. In other words, if the Philippines was Georgia its statues of Lenin or Stalin would still be standing, because, well . . . maybe because (as someone stated above) Filipinos like to keep a happy face and tearing down statutes would not seem very happy now would it?

The Philippines is geographically located next to Vietnam, Laos, Thailand, and Malaysia. The Philippines is above Indonesia. The Philippines is right below Hong Kong and Taiwan. 25% of the language of the Philippines is Sanskrit and related to other languages spoken by the cultures and ethnicities of neighboring countries.

You can draw a square, circle, or connect dots to the countries in Asia and Southeast Asia if it helps you remember the geographic part of the globe called the Far East (Asia and South East Asia specifically).

a) Geographic
c) Cultural (original vs. colonial << completely displaced and artificial / un-natural)

It's truly - - - I mean, "R-E-A-L-L-Y" a "sssssttttttrrrrrreeeeeetttttttccccccchhhhhh" to describe, pass-off, throw the hood over someone's eyes and say that someone from the place called the Philippines (from colonial rule) is in any way, shape, or form "Hispanic" (latino, chicano, muchacho, machismo)

No way, Jose. No way. LOL. Filipinos are Southeast Asian just like their surrounding related relatives. In fact, the first related cousin is the Ami from Taiwan, and then the Malay etc. etc. Indonesians eat lumpia just like we do, etc. etc. {Southern Philippines, which is Muslim, is probably more true to what the culture was like pre-Galleon} <I will make some devout European worshipping Filipinos angry at de sugges-chon!!!>

Sowwwy, Latinos. We are very very southeast asian, and we know it. Truly some people are confused. Just explore, open up the world, a map, buy a globe . . . (if not a plane ticket) and take a 12 - 16 hour plane ride from California over to the far far land of the rising sun. Spanish isn't the dominant language in the Philippines - - - never has been, and the makeup of the people is fairly Un-mixed and unadulterated. Any information to the contrary is basic b.s. to fend off further inquiries, because Filipinos just let people think their uninformed beliefs. It's part of the "smile" and be happy nice culture. There is nary a Filipino who would call themself hispanic unless they believed some untruth told to them from a young age. (i.e. - my great grandmother was Spanish (and had blue eyes) <ROLL EYES. Puhleeze. Yawn. Puhleeze. {see my face as I cry over the perpetuation of self-hatred for one's true ethnic identity, and the gullibility of people in the 21st century. For God's sake people, read, open a map, travel, look in the mirror. Just look in the mirror. Oh, come on puhleeze.} Like, 1% of the population of the Philipines has any hispanic roots - - - asian all the way. Yes, we have some very scrawny males who want to have a little more machismo and fantasize about being latin somehow because they hear they can drink a lot of alcohol and have fist fights. However, for the most part Filipinos are small and scrawny and more suited to cerebral pursuits rather than anything super muscular. This is a compliment, and it's true -

To the Far East !!! To southeast ASIA !!! The Philippines is a member of the ASEAN (the Association of SouthEast Asian Nations). Nuff Said. Any comparisons or attempts to hispanicize the philippines in this day and age is superficial and a desperate attempt at best. ) <desperate sentimental cloying clinging attempts to hold onto the superficial and ill-suited colonial past> Filipinos aren't MIXED (that's a myth, old wives tale, disinformation by the "SEE AYE AY" to confuse you all and make everyone believe they are "one race" - one giant mestizo "multicultural" race via "forced integration" - - don't believe it. )) Filipinos have miraculously held onto their own ethnic identity and makeup (DNA). Compared to other european nations, etc - who were repeatedly invaded, the quote unquote filipinos have maintained their own indigenous customs and language. Hooray !!! It's amazing !!!! Yay, Philippines (get rid of that name, that tribute to your oppressor. Sheez.)

As much as anyone might want to, that country can't be lifted, carried, or uprooted into central or south america - - - nothin' doin. (that's another educational exercise: go to the globe and point out "the Americas" << where hispanics and latinos live. Hint: it is not in southeast or east asia)

Last edited by yourusername; 03-06-2013 at 01:59 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-06-2013, 02:27 AM

Default If only the Philippines was located in Latin America ~

Geographically (look at a map, twirl a globe . . .) The Philippines is in Asia. (see "Distinctions" Infra)

Any of the tacky stuff (someone mentioned above) is "Colonial" residue from the seafaring voyages of the spanish galleons (i.e. those ill-fitting customs are a waste product of the foreign invader). Filipinos aren't any more Spanish or Hispanic in blood than Chevy's or Chipotle is Mexican. (If any Filipino tries, hopes, prays, fantasizes, (is delusional) . . . . nothing is going to make him or her "Hispanic," "Latino," "Chicano," or "Macho") - - - Lo Entiendes? A Filipino will say then know Spanish, but I dare you to make one speak it. I'll bet you $50 it won't even sound as good as a white person trying to order at Taco Bell. Call them on their !@#$$%%. It will sound bad. That makes me happy. Why? Because as a Filipina-American I am happy that the dominant language which prevailed was NOT Spanish. Spanish is not an indigenous language, and was not taught to the native people. It was a culture and legacy of violence and oppression. Why would anyone be proud of that? <That's for another discussion> For example when Georgia gained independence, statues of Lenin and Stalin were torn down. However, for sentimental reasons there remained some Spanish "residue" in the Philippines that was hard to wash off. In other words, if the Philippines was Georgia its statues of Lenin or Stalin would still be standing, because, well . . . maybe because (as someone stated above) Filipinos like to keep a happy face and tearing down statutes would not seem very happy.

a) Geographic

No way, Jose. No way. LOL. Filipinos are Southeast Asian just like their surrounding related relatives. In fact, the first related cousin is the Ami from Taiwan, and then the Malay etc. etc. Indonesians eat lumpia just like we do, etc. etc. {Southern Philippines, which is Muslim, is probably more true to what the culture was like pre-Galleon} <I will make some devout European worshipping Filipinos angry at de sugges-chon!!!>

Sowwwy, Latinos. We are very very southeast asian, and we know it. Truly some people are confused. Just explore, open up the world, a map, buy a globe . . . (if not a plane ticket) and take a 12 - 16 hour plane ride from California over to the far far land of the rising sun. Spanish isn't the dominant language in the Philippines - - - never has been, and the makeup of the people is fairly Un-mixed and unadulterated. Any information to the contrary is basic b.s. to fend off further inquiries, because Filipinos just let people think their uninformed beliefs. It's part of the "smile" and be happy nice culture. There is nary a Filipino who would call themself hispanic unless they believed some untruth told to them from a young age. (i.e. - my great grandmother was Spanish (and had blue eyes) <ROLL EYES. Puhleeze. Yawn. Puhleeze. {see my face as I cry over the perpetuation of self-hatred for one's true ethnic identity, and the gullibility of people in the 21st century. For God's sake people, read, open a map, travel, look in the mirror. Just look in the mirror. Oh, come on puhleeze.} Like, 1% of the population of the Philipines has any hispanic roots - - - asian all the way. Yes, we have some very scrawny males who want to have a little more machismo and fantasize about being latin somehow because they hear they can drink a lot of alcohol and have fist fights. However, for the most part Filipinos are small and scrawny and more suited to cerebral pursuits rather than anything super muscular. This is a compliment, and it's true -

To the Far East !!! To southeast ASIA !!! The Philippines is a member of the ASEAN (the Association of SouthEast Asian Nations). Nuff Said. Any comparisons or attempts to hispanicize the philippines in this day and age is superficial and a desperate attempt at best. ) <desperate sentimental cloying clinging attempts to hold onto the superficial and ill-suited colonial past> Filipinos aren't MIXED (that's a myth, old wives tale, disinformation by the "SEE AYE AY" to confuse you all and make everyone believe they are "one race" - one giant mestizo "multicultural" race via "forced integration" - - don't believe it. )) Filipinos have miraculously held onto their own ethnic identity and makeup (DNA). Compared to other european nations, etc - who were repeatedly invaded, the quote unquote filipinos have maintained their own indigenous customs and language. Hooray !!! It's amazing !!!! Yay, Philippines (get rid of that name, that tribute to your oppressor. Sheez.)

Old 03-06-2013, 02:37 AM

There goes that "MIXED-RACE" Spanish / Chinese propaganda again. What? What did you say you are again? Spanish / Chinese / Malay? Bwahahahahaha !!!! That is what Hollywood has told every Filipino actor / actress to ever say instead of "Filipino." That's the oldest PR ethnic cover-up since Jews changed their names in Hollywood and people answered NO to the question whether they were Communists. Filipinos are not Mixed. Filipinos are as mixed a nation as people in England who are white skinned and speak with British accents are mixed. Or - here's another better example: Filipinos are as mixed as American Indians on a reservation are mixed with other cultures and races -('cos yeah - there are a lot of WASPS and African Americans and Italians on a reservation, right?) We are not a culture of "Forced Integration" or "multiculturalism" as any hegemonic PR monger would have everyone in the world believe. The "MIXED" MIXED race thing goes on and on and on like a merry go round, and it's just not true - but everyone believes it because it was made up by Hollywood. The great 99.9% of real Filipinos are Ami / Malay but certainly not that Chinese / Spanish B!@#$$%. "Hi. I'm Filipino, but really I'm from Spain. My grandmother was European. She had blue eyes. My grandfather was Chinese. I'm Spanish / Chinese / Hawaiian. . . YEAH, THAT'S IT !!! I'm those things !!!" Stop the Insanity !!!!!!

Old 03-06-2013, 02:54 AM

Here's more ethnic and cultural DISINFORMATION for ya here because some of the claims on Filipino culture get so outrageous that we may as well play it up, right? Ok. Then here goes:

Filipinos are ethnically DUTCH / ITALIAN / & SPANISH with Hawaiian thrown in for color. The Filipinos who were lucky enough to carve boats out of the native maple and birch trees from their Native Nova Scotia made it to the New World alongside Columbus in 1492. At that time, they became ethnically Chinese and Spanish by mating with the crewmates of Cristobal Colon (Columbus) - and thus were named "Filipino" after Columbus loudly pronounced, "Philip, Pinot !!!!!, Phillip, Pinot!!!" replying to one of the crew who asked "which wine would you like me to fetch from the galley?"

During the Opium Wars, many of what are called "filipinos" today were plucked from their native homeland of Nova Scotia and forced to work on opium production farms in early 1350. It is during this time and in this place, that the Filipino developed the arthritis that is now endemic to the Filipino DNA, and how Filipinos developed asian-like eyes without the cantic fold. After migrating to the New World, and after American Newspapers were established, the media began educating european settlers that the "Filipino" was of Chinese and Spanish descent. That is how we know of the Filipino today - - the "hispanic" macho latino of Chinese and Spanish descent (which is a bit of a stretch, and a total lie - get real folks)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or