U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 09:10 PM

5,301 posts, read 11,489,853 times
Default What does your family think of your genealogy hobby?

Does your family think you are nuts? Or do they have fun with it too?

Some people I have met have NO aspirations whatsoever to find out anything about their family history. Personally I think it is kind of sad that if someone can't even tell you the nationality of their own last name.

My family thinks I am crazy I think... but they like it. They just do not join in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 05:46 AM
bjh
Status: "Stored at 72 degrees until further notice" (set 15 days ago)

20,162 posts, read 11,578,322 times
Agree, I don't understand people who don't care.

In my family, some eagerly await and receive what I find. Others are indifferent.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:56 AM

23,933 posts, read 19,422,470 times
Kids love it. Wife thinks I'm crazy.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:03 AM

356 posts, read 424,275 times
Most ppl in my family think I'm crazy. My mother only cares about discoveries on her side of the family.

Luckily I've met some great 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc cousins online, and they are happy to relish in my discoveries, so I'm content with that

Old 04-04-2012, 08:33 AM

5,997 posts, read 5,059,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Does your family think you are nuts? Or do they have fun with it too?

Some people I have met have NO aspirations whatsoever to find out anything about their family history. Personally I think it is kind of sad that if someone can't even tell you the nationality of their own last name.

My family thinks I am crazy I think... but they like it. They just do not join in.
I have a cousin on my father's side who has an interest and we have traded information as he has sources available to him that I do not, and vice versa. Another cousin of ours professes interest, but seems to have done very little.

On my mother's side I have daughters of a first cousin who were interested - as long as I did the work. That side of the family is very reactionary, and their uncle and aunt busted a gut when I presented them with the documentation that one of our grt-grtgrandmothers was listed "negro" or "colored" on three censuses.

Since then I have heard nothing from anyone on that side of the family.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:37 AM

58 posts, read 73,638 times
My family thinks I have too much time on my hands to be able to sit here for hours on end looking at names and dates of people that I will never meet (in this lifetime anyways). However, any time I bring it up, they usually will start asking me questions about any family history. I've been able to locate my brother who was adopted out at birth and my grand mothers birth parents information. I'm currently obsessed with locating any living siblings my grandmother may have.

I have to say also that it has really made me wish I would have paid more attention in my high school history class.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:10 AM

23,933 posts, read 19,422,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I have a cousin on my father's side who has an interest and we have traded information as he has sources available to him that I do not, and vice versa. Another cousin of ours professes interest, but seems to have done very little.

On my mother's side I have daughters of a first cousin who were interested - as long as I did the work. That side of the family is very reactionary, and their uncle and aunt busted a gut when I presented them with the documentation that one of our grt-grtgrandmothers was listed "negro" or "colored" on three censuses.

Sounds pretty typical. When cousins I find online find out what I look like, they're not too interested in being "family" anymore.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:33 AM

2,658 posts, read 4,826,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post

I think that's called "karma"

I remember the scandalized whispers from my grandmother that one side of our family was of gypsy origin. I thought it was hilarious, but got into trouble for laughing. Years later, one of my sisters was upset by a comment from a Romanian lady, who looked at my sister's coloring, listened to Sister's revelation of a possible Gypsy connection, and sneered at her. I provided Sister with another possibility: we might be of Melungeon stock. One of our relatives was from the area and had the surname found to be common to those people. I have tentatively traced our ancestry to people who are known to be Melungeon. Not that such knowledge is of any comfort, Melungeons were once classed as mixed-race Black, but I find it more interesting.

I typically present the knowledge of family history to my folks in the form of (benign) gossip. All these people are dead, whatever lives they had (outside of major criminal activities), one might as well treat it with a sense of humor. My family would rather hear it that way than as a dry dissertation on the begets, though the for ancestors who made a notable impact (my g-g-g-g grandfather was part of the crossing the Delaware flotilla with George Washington), I'll sketch out a brief history lesson.

Mostly, my family looks on my research with toleration. None of them have the interest or wants to take the time away from other pursuits to do it, but they are an attentive audience to my reveals.

Last edited by silverwing; 04-04-2012 at 10:43 AM..

Old 04-04-2012, 11:38 AM

7,287 posts, read 9,852,498 times
My family loves that I do it, but would never do it on their own. Mainly because they look at it as something to do when they are retired.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:49 PM

5,301 posts, read 11,489,853 times
Yeah, I heard that from retired members of my family when I was young - that they would get into it when they retired. Guess what, they are retired and not one is doing anything about any family history. SO I figured I would, got started BEFORE I retired because I might not make it to retirement (my Mom did not) I have now gotten 3 branches of our family back to the 1700s one back to the 1600s. I get the feeling that most members of my family could care less. BUT I have to say, I have met some really nice distant relatives in the area and that has been a very pleasant experience for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy