U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 11:35 AM

5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Ain't genealogy fun!
Genealogy has shown me that relatives of an earlier time are as human, perhaps more so, as I am...

There are illegitimate births (a grandmother of a third cousin), suicides (a Great Great Grandfather), rapes (a cousin of the second husband of my Grandmother; it was even in front of her children, and he was executed for it), divorces and family abandonment (a set of Great Great Grandparents), bitter family feuds and bigotry (a Great Great Grandmother), and unlawful behavior (court cases against a Great Great Grandfather)...

Mind you that a little was within family knowledge, but records confirm or entirely disclose the information I have learned...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 10:15 PM
bjh

26,094 posts, read 22,785,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
Yes, I have one family that is nowhere to be found in 1880 or 1900. Obviously, there isn't a 1890. Drives me nuts that I've only located them in 1870 and because of this, I've been unable to pin down a decent time frame for when they likely died. I've been at this a lot of years though and I've gone page-by-page looking for every possible spelling variation for their names. It is truly like they disappeared even though I know for a fact that the husband and wife died in the same county they were in 1870. But my best guesstimate is it happened between 1880 (the approximate year of their youngest child's birth) and 1910 (when that youngest child is located living on his own). And the state didn't begin recording deaths until 1919 - maddening!
If you haven't already, you might take a stab at trying to find their death records, guessing or knowing what state or territory they were in. Just a thought.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:16 PM
bjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I could only hope. They came out in every other census since 1900, but I could not find them in the 1940. The immediate neighbors were interviewed, but not my great grandparents. Is it possible that they were visiting some relatives in some other parts? I wonder how hard the census takers tried to backtrack to get any ppl that they might have missed?

They may be recorded somewhere, just not indexed yet.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:18 PM
bjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Genealogy has shown me that relatives of an earlier time are as human, perhaps more so, as I am...

There are illegitimate births (a grandmother of a third cousin), suicides (a Great Great Grandfather), rapes (a cousin of the second husband of my Grandmother; it was even in front of her children, and he was executed for it), divorces and family abandonment (a set of Great Great Grandparents), bitter family feuds and bigotry (a Great Great Grandmother), and unlawful behavior (court cases against a Great Great Grandfather)...

Mind you that a little was within family knowledge, but records confirm or entirely disclose the information I have learned...
Definitely. Maybe it's because of TV and film depictions, but some people have this idea that everyone in the past was prim and proper.

In some ways, life was a lot less structured than it is now. In 19th century America, for instance, people could get up and move, change their name, just disappear if they wanted to. For the past several decades with social security numbers and drivers' licenses, that's a lot less probable.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:31 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Definitely. Maybe it's because of TV and film depictions, but some people have this idea that everyone in the past was prim and proper....
And assumed to do everything "legally"...

Quote:
...In some ways, life was a lot less structured than it is now. In 19th century America, for instance, people could get up and move, change their name, just disappear if they wanted to. For the past several decades with social security numbers and drivers' licenses, that's a lot less probable.
Agreed...

Old 04-22-2012, 10:37 PM

4,896 posts, read 5,866,353 times
I have a greatgfather who was farming his own land in Georgia in 1870. His wife died in 1876. I can't remember if I picked him up on the 1880 census or not. But, he disappeared until 1900 census in North Fl/SE Ala, on his farm, living with his daughter and family. Both he and my grandfather on separate farms. I have used every resource I can find and they are NO WHERE that they left any other record, so far, for that period of time. I did find papers where they were both recorded land purchases there(N Fl/SE Al) in late 1897 but that's it. They were men of few words though and I suspect they didn't like anyone knowing their business. When my gmother died, her death cert. gave info provided by a neighbor. When gfather died, there was nothing on it but "cause of death".

Old 04-22-2012, 11:17 PM

410 posts, read 1,322,867 times
My grandparents never filled out a census, registered to vote, or even was listed in the phone books later...they said it was no one's business

Old 04-23-2012, 03:28 AM

4,585 posts, read 10,478,742 times
Yup, my gr gr gran disapeared off the census after 1860 and didn't re-appear until 1900. Very frustrating because her son my gr gramps was born in 1870ish and isn't on any census until 1900, his father was NDN and there is no trace of either one of them and gr gr gran refused to name the father even on her deathbed.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:19 AM
bjh

^
Am guessing you've checked NDN rolls....

Old 04-23-2012, 05:29 PM

4,585 posts, read 10,478,742 times
Quote:
^
Am guessing you've checked NDN rolls....
Yup, but she was gone, her son was "given" a name of Rowell and no one knew where it came from...tons of rumors one that was most prevelant was it was a "gift" from a family friend.

She was never found in the same town with her mother and stepfather after 1860. Her step father was NDN (well known) but was listed as mulatto (typical for the times). Her mother had several more children by hubby #2 and I acctually connected with one of the decendents on CD. He's very familiar with the situation and his gramps would never tell anyone his tribal affiliation, of course it was a time when NDN's were not considered citizens and if found out could be shipped off without recourse.

I've always suspected that step father or another NDN friend might be the father of gr gr gran's son but I've got no willing male's to verify through DNA.

Because this took place in the SE during reconstruction, it could be she went off west with the troops for survival. Several of her sibs were found living with aunts and uncles but my gr gr gran was no where to be found.

It's one of the big mystries of our family, we also suspect her lines were of mixed blood based on my DNA. So far I've paid 2 "pro" geneologists and been ripped off by both. Once I can save some $$$ I'm going to try the ones on Ancestry.com, I hear they are reliable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or