U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 06:58 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,613,304 times

Advertisements

I thought there were only two states so far that are searchable and the rest aren't ready yet? Am I misunderstanding? I hope that is the case, because I want to find out who my mother was living with in 1940 (apparently she was adopted and not sure if it was a legal adoption or informal adoption by relatives). I think only two states have been indexed so far and those are the only ones that can be searched by name so far. Hope I'm not misunderstanding that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 03:28 PM

1 posts, read 886 times
I've noticed a bunch of problems with missing pages while searching for my grandparents and mother in the 1940 Census. The pages are supposed to be numbered 1A,1B,2A,2B,3A,3B, and so on… In my grandparents' Enumeration District only the 'A' pages are showing up, so I can only assume that half of the pages in that district are missing. A quick check of other districts in their county showed similar problems. I'm hoping it's just a cataloging problem with the digital images on the website and they eventually get it straightened out. Incidently I found the problem in Bloomer Township, Montcalm County, Michigan. ( Enumeration District MI 59-3) Check the numbering of the sheets for your missing relative. You might have the same problem.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:25 AM
bjh

26,105 posts, read 22,785,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I thought there were only two states so far that are searchable and the rest aren't ready yet? Am I misunderstanding? I hope that is the case, because I want to find out who my mother was living with in 1940 (apparently she was adopted and not sure if it was a legal adoption or informal adoption by relatives). I think only two states have been indexed so far and those are the only ones that can be searched by name so far. Hope I'm not misunderstanding that.
All the states are available. Welcome - 1940 Census

But they are not indexed. So it's *much* easier to find someone if you have a very good idea of where they were living in 1940. If they hadn't moved during the 1930s, finding them in 1940 with the 1930 ED - Enumeration District really helps: 1930/1940 Census EDs

Old 04-25-2012, 04:30 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,613,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
All the states are available. Welcome - 1940 Census

But they are not indexed. So it's *much* easier to find someone if you have a very good idea of where they were living in 1940. If they hadn't moved during the 1930s, finding them in 1940 with the 1930 ED - Enumeration District really helps: 1930/1940 Census EDs
Yes, I know they are all available, but what I was saying is only two states are searchable by name. I know my mom lived in Arkansas, probably in Madison County, probably in St. Paul, but St. Paul isn't even listed in the list of towns. I can't find her on the 1930 census. So I am waiting for Arkansas to be indexed so I can search by her possible names.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:11 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 6 days ago)

14,422 posts, read 16,686,996 times
I found my grandfathers address in 38, then 39, and then looked but he'd moved. I searced the directories in California and found him in 42. I'm going to try that next. I know he remarried before that, after divorcing my grandmother. At least in the directory I have a firm reference to the second marriage now.

If your stuck on addresses, try the city directories. I actually found other family members I wasn't looking for that way. Ancestry has them searchable by name.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:34 PM

6,415 posts, read 10,037,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
It's one of the big mystries of our family, we also suspect her lines were of mixed blood based on my DNA. So far I've paid 2 "pro" geneologists and been ripped off by both. Once I can save some $$$ I'm going to try the ones on Ancestry.com, I hear they are reliable.
I don't know where you got your professional genealogists, but I always recommend using a certified research, through APG (Association for Professional Genealogists). If they're certified, they've had to pass competency exams in whatever area (specialty or geographic) they're certified. There are not many certified Indian researchers, but it is a specialty area. It also provides you with a mediation option, if you feel you've been "ripped off."

But remember, if the answer's not there to find, they're not going to find it. So even hiring a professional is not going to guaranteeing solving a difficult problem. And that sounds like what you have on your hands.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:38 AM
bjh

26,105 posts, read 22,785,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I found my grandfathers address in 38, then 39, and then looked but he'd moved. I searced the directories in California and found him in 42. I'm going to try that next. I know he remarried before that, after divorcing my grandmother. At least in the directory I have a firm reference to the second marriage now.

If your stuck on addresses, try the city directories. I actually found other family members I wasn't looking for that way. Ancestry has them searchable by name.
Good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or