U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-21-2012, 07:39 AM

392 posts, read 602,000 times

Advertisements

Once I found a shoebox full of old papers from the 1950's and 1960's near a dumpster. I grabbed them and took them home. The papers clearly belonged to a certain woman, and several of the papers were relating to a man and son (a "senior" and a "junior"), with a different surname from the woman. There was a teacher's license, hunting permit, a few school awards, etc. Obviously, the lady had passed and someone was getting rid of her things. I did a little internet research and discovered that the lady whose things these were had been married to this man and had a son who was a teenager in the 1960's. The man and son were traveling somewhere and stayed overnight in a motel. There was a gas leak and both the man and his son died. The lady later remarried but had no other children, according to her obituary. I felt sad, how devastating it must have been for her. She had kept those mementos for 40 years and then when she died, someone just tossed them.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 02:21 PM

10,326 posts, read 9,863,806 times
I have a photo album I rescued from a relative's attic that is filled with black and white snapshots that appear to be about a hundred years old. There is not a single person identified.

I think I know who it belonged to, but there is no way to prove it. The couple had no children, so there are no descendants to look for.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:08 PM

4,102 posts, read 2,962,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
...snipped...And yes, I have the done the same as yourself. I get sidetracked A LOT doing genealogy.
One of my genealogy buddy/cousin gets so irritated with me. I am always getting sidetracked with an interesting line that doesn't even belong to me.....LOL. I have done some tracking on a few things that were not mine. I have a book that was written by a woman long dead, that she wrote for her son that died in WWI, and I will try and find a collateral relative. She had a big family in Virginia, Mississippi and Louisiana. One of the most fascinating reads I have ever run across.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
"I can think of one reason your uncle may have never married. "...snipped....
You would think that statistically out of 5 siblings at least one would have married.
I have an Italian SIL. She is the oldest of 4 and she is the only one who married and had children. One of the men married but it only lasted a couple of years. 2 females and 2 males in the family and she was the only one. They were sort of old school Italian. The younger daughter lived with her parents until they died and then one of the boys came home to live with her and take care of her. They are wonderful people, always so friendly and kind. All very attractive and the men were professionals.

eta: I can attest the oldest male was not gay.......

Old 04-23-2012, 08:26 AM
bjh

20,386 posts, read 12,142,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerguy View Post
Once I found a shoebox full of old papers from the 1950's and 1960's near a dumpster. ... then when she died, someone just tossed them.
Cool story.

Some people have no respect for history. Or for other people.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:11 PM

58 posts, read 79,227 times
My grandmother sent me a bunch of old letters and paper work that my grandfather had. Most of them dated 1944-1945. In going through them, I saw a lot were from a Leroy Branam. I was curious as to who Leroy was. So I stared digging. In the letters he told his age so I was able to find him in the 1930 Census. As it turned out, Leroy was my grandfathers cousin. It was obvious that they were very close. Leroy talked about how he couldn't wait to get his drivers license and move from Oklahoma to California to be with my grandfather who migrated a few years before. The letters stopped in June of 1945. I thought that Leroy might still be alive as he was born in 1929. In decided to do a Google search on his name. The first thing that came up was a grave marker for him. I learned that Leroy Branam died on July 12, 1945, just 3 months before his 17th birthday. He was the youngest of 8 siblings. I haven't been able to find out his cause of death yet. I know I will find out some day. But for now, he is all but forgotten. Thankfully my grandfather kept those letters. I hope that I will learn more about him and be able to keep his memory alive in my children. After all, he was my kin too.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:36 PM

This reminds me of my ggrandfathers youngest son. He must have died as a young man but he is completely forgotten it seems by our searching lines. I suspect he is buried next to my gg-pa. He has a nice tombstone, born 1814 died 1908 and there are a couple of wooden boards next to his that an old, old, old aunt, buried in the same cemetary said was part of our family.It makes me want to do something about it but, it would take money I don't have to put a coping.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:03 AM

5,310 posts, read 6,544,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jujub529 View Post
My grandmother sent me a bunch of old letters and paper work that my grandfather had. Most of them dated 1944-1945. In going through them, I saw a lot were from a Leroy Branam. I was curious as to who Leroy was. So I stared digging. In the letters he told his age so I was able to find him in the 1930 Census. As it turned out, Leroy was my grandfathers cousin. It was obvious that they were very close. Leroy talked about how he couldn't wait to get his drivers license and move from Oklahoma to California to be with my grandfather who migrated a few years before. The letters stopped in June of 1945. I thought that Leroy might still be alive as he was born in 1929. In decided to do a Google search on his name. The first thing that came up was a grave marker for him. I learned that Leroy Branam died on July 12, 1945, just 3 months before his 17th birthday. He was the youngest of 8 siblings. I haven't been able to find out his cause of death yet. I know I will find out some day. But for now, he is all but forgotten. Thankfully my grandfather kept those letters. I hope that I will learn more about him and be able to keep his memory alive in my children. After all, he was my kin too.
If he had 8 siblings, some of their descendants might be interesting in seeing the letters and knowing more about him too. Are you in contact with them?

Old 04-25-2012, 06:49 AM
bjh

20,386 posts, read 12,142,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jujub529 View Post
That he kept those letters all that time really says something.

If you do share the letters with others, be sure to keep the originals and show/share only the copies. The originals can become more fragile or get lost.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:00 AM

58 posts, read 79,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
If he had 8 siblings, some of their descendants might be interesting in seeing the letters and knowing more about him too. Are you in contact with them?

I've found a thread on here that is Oklahoma. I asked if there were family of my grandfathers (Stith) still living there. I never even thought about looking for the Branam side. Thanks. I'll do that soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy