U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-01-2012, 08:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,797 times

Advertisements

I use both Ancestry.com and FamilyTreeBuilder (MyHeritage.com).
After building quite a large family tree...I found out that an ancestor had two sequential wives. I had added descendents to the second wife which were actually children of the first wife. The original records only showed the second wife as his ONLY wife.
Discovering the new information, I added the 'first' wife to FTB and it allowed me with a single key stroke to reassign the first wife's children to her branch.
Ancestry.com on the other hand forced me to re-enter ALL of the first wife's children and their descendents by hand to the first wife's branch...then I had to go back and delete all of the incorrect placements.
Is there any way to do the same fast re-assigment in Ancestry as I was able to do in FTB?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 06:03 PM

7,763 posts, read 5,675,546 times
I don't know the specific answer but I had a person in my tree twice and there was no way to just delete her on ancestry except to delete her completely and then add her back in again and retype all her information. There is no way to merge two records into one.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:28 PM

6,415 posts, read 5,615,522 times
Editing in Ancestry can be a bit laborious, but ... yes, you can do it. All you have to do is to change the mother on each of the children. Do that by first selecting the "edit this person" bar right under the person's name and vitals. On the next screen, select the "Relationships" tab. On the next screen, you'd select "add an alternate mother" which is right below the wrong mother's name. Search for, and add the right mother. You can delete via the "remove" link on the right, or change the "biological" relationship to "step" through that box in the middle of the line.

You only have to do that for the child/mother relationship, not for any subsequent generations.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:42 PM

753 posts, read 971,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I don't know the specific answer but I had a person in my tree twice and there was no way to just delete her on ancestry except to delete her completely and then add her back in again and retype all her information. There is no way to merge two records into one.
You can merge duplicate people if you have your tree on your computer and use Family Tree Maker 2012 software.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:39 AM

5,320 posts, read 6,583,015 times
Enrico gave good instructions. But you have to remember that an online tree is never going to be as advanced or have all the same features that a dedicated program will have.

This is why I invested in Ancestry.com's Family Tree Maker 2012 - it has a sync feature so the tree in the software on my computer automatically syncs with my Ancestry.com online tree. So no more editing everything twice on two separate trees.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,346 times
Thank you EnricoV!! I registered just to express my gratitude. It seems so simple now, but that was driving me crazy!

Old 02-26-2013, 06:43 PM

6,415 posts, read 5,615,522 times
No problem!

Actually, depending on how much info is in there (like how many links to records you have) ... the simplest thing to rectify that situation (especially if there are lots of kids) is to just change the info (names, dates, etc.) on wife #2 to the info on wife #1. If you have links to wife #2's parents ... those would be the only parent/child links you'd have to change. Then, change wife #1 to the info for wife #2.

My newest find on editing (not sure how long it's been there) is the ability to merge two people into one! The link to do that is under the "More options" link next to the print button. I love that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy