U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-14-2012, 02:44 AM

394 posts, read 739,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
You already received your invitation and ordered your test through Ancestry, or another company?
Through AncestryDNA. I took the Nat'l Geographic DNA test several years ago. The Ancestry test should give more information, since it can trace both male and female lines. The NG test could only test my mtDNA.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 03:22 AM

5,262 posts, read 6,376,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I'm really eager to have it done but they aren't offering it on Ancestry.co.uk which suggests they won't send the kit overseas. I'll have to look into it.
Btw, for any other international users, it's currently only available in the US. But being American, I use the US site and so I was told I'm on the invite list - I'm hoping I can have the kit sent to my mom in the US and then she can send it to me.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:37 AM

2,112 posts, read 4,607,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalCat View Post
Through AncestryDNA. I took the Nat'l Geographic DNA test several years ago. The Ancestry test should give more information, since it can trace both male and female lines. The NG test could only test my mtDNA.
OK, cool. Good to know invites have already gone out. Just as an FYI, Ancestry's test of tracing the male and female line should be identical to what's called Family Finder at Family Tree DNA and the Relative Finder at 23 and me. That info is for anyone interested whom won't be able to test at Ancestry.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:23 PM

4,992 posts, read 3,063,471 times
Received my invite this morning and just ordered it. Will let you all know when I receive the kit.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:15 PM

9,805 posts, read 7,197,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Received my invite this morning and just ordered it. Will let you all know when I receive the kit.
Is this in an email? I pay monthly. The test comes up when I log in, but I didn't get an email. As there really aren't any males to quality this is of great interest to me.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Hopefully my invite is in the mail.

Thanks for keeping us posted.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:36 AM

4,992 posts, read 3,063,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Is this in an email? I pay monthly. The test comes up when I log in, but I didn't get an email. As there really aren't any males to quality this is of great interest to me.
Yes, I received an email. They give you a time limit to sign up for the offer.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:30 AM
Status: "being able to babysit the grandson now... priceless ;)" (set 15 days ago)

3,144 posts, read 3,956,487 times
sorry for the question but what info can be had on these tests? I never spent much time thinking about my background, until of course now with near all my family gone and as i get older i realize how difficult it will be to find out about 'me'. And i never heard about tests like this until this site. Just curious if they give results just to match with others on geneology sites, or if they can tell you 'what you're made up of', etc.

thanks!

Old 05-18-2012, 01:36 PM

Just an FYI, got my results back from 23 and me after only 8 days. Now if I can only sort out what it all means .... .

Old 05-18-2012, 04:52 PM

394 posts, read 739,996 times
I received my test today, have taken it (it's a saliva test) and will be mailing it back tomorrow.

ranger17: Here's a good overview on the different types of DNA tests that are available.
Genealogical DNA test - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

AncestryDNA uses an autosomnal test, which can test both maternal and paternal sides of males and females.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy