U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 12:30 AM

797 posts, read 1,101,322 times

Advertisements

I always thought of Black Irish as those who do not fit into the Irish stereotype. A lot of Irish people do not have red hair, pale skin, and light eyes. There are lots of brown/black haired, brown eyes, and olive skin. There is Pierce Brosnan and Colin Farrell as well known examples.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:41 AM

2,986 posts, read 3,155,317 times
My wife is Black Irish. Her maiden name is McCabe, but she said sometime in the medieval period, her family name was "Macabba". Her line is decended from Spanish mercenaries who relocated to Ireland and changed their name to McCabe. They were known as "Black Irish" because of their dark hair and Spanish features. Here I thought I was marrying a nice Irish girl and ended up with a fiery Latina on my hands!

Old 05-15-2012, 07:54 PM

394 posts, read 1,296,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
The Black Irish are descended from mystical, nature spirits that could morph into seals. I like that story best.
Yes, I heard the Black Irish were descended from the selkies. I like that story too

Old 05-15-2012, 11:18 PM

10,892 posts, read 13,010,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalCat View Post
Yes, I heard the Black Irish were descended from the selkies. I like that story too

Could've sworn that said...skeksis! lol

We have a castle in IRELAND.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:12 AM

16,416 posts, read 25,200,334 times
Sounds like a type of whiskey

Old 05-16-2012, 10:07 AM

2,776 posts, read 6,965,362 times
Selkie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I used to have a mixed breed dog that was very dark with piercing blue eyes. I named him "Grendel"and I used to tell people that he was a shape shifting pooka.
Irish Fairies | The Pooka

Growing up Catholic in Boston with lots of Irish friends equipped me with lots of old-timers' stories of Black Irish and the like. There are even stories of the Irish in my own family background. I am African-Native American-Irish-Scots.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:17 AM

10,589 posts, read 10,317,990 times
My kids had an Irish great grand mother..I remember her well..I did hear her mention once - when she was a child...That when her family were at supper..a relative looked at her and commented...'we have a dark eyed one at the table' OR black or dark eyed one...Most if not all the Irish were pale skinned with blue eyes...I believe that some of the Roman occupiers who were in Great Britain may have wandered across the Irish sea and mixed with the locals-- Just like some of the so-called pure Britons with dark brown eyes have Italian genetics.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:30 AM

11,686 posts, read 13,078,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
My wife is Black Irish. Her maiden name is McCabe, but she said sometime in the medieval period, her family name was "Macabba". Her line is decended from Spanish mercenaries who relocated to Ireland and changed their name to McCabe. They were known as "Black Irish" because of their dark hair and Spanish features. Here I thought I was marrying a nice Irish girl and ended up with a fiery Latina on my hands!
The Mac Cba, according to Irish genealogists and heralds, have their origin in Scots mercenaries (the Galloglasses), which various Irish nobles hired to bolster their military forces. They were given lands to settle on and were accepted eventually as an Irish clan.

The Spanish-Irish connexion is largely confined to the activities of merchant families from both countries in cities on the west coast, such as Galway. After Catholicism was essentially outlawed the Catholic Irish had semenaries in countries on the continent (Spain, France, Italy) to educate their priests. These were frequently smuggled into the country through these same west coast cities which continued to maintain commericial and smuggling connexions with the continent.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:39 AM

6,209 posts, read 6,582,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
My kids had an Irish great grand mother..I remember her well..I did hear her mention once - when she was a child...That when her family were at supper..a relative looked at her and commented...'we have a dark eyed one at the table' OR black or dark eyed one...Most if not all the Irish were pale skinned with blue eyes...I believe that some of the Roman occupiers who were in Great Britain may have wandered across the Irish sea and mixed with the locals-- Just like some of the so-called pure Britons with dark brown eyes have Italian genetics.
I believe it is Italian decent. The Romans occupied Britain 300-400 years.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:08 PM

9,658 posts, read 7,638,989 times
There's also the classic Irish coloring of blue eyes "put in with a sooty finger" - i.e., with long dark eyelashes. Usually such people have black hair, as did my grandmother, whose grandfather was from County Derry. I've heard people with this coloring referred to as "black Irish".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy