U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 09:40 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,998 posts, read 5,490,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
?
i said i think we don't reall because its not really based on nothing , i mean we don't have like a home land that we can relate it back to because we don't know exactly where we come from (like the exact country).. like asian americans maybe born in america but they can look back to korea, or china.. or hispanic americans can relate it back to maybe puerto rico, or Ecuador or something , or africans born here or come here can relate back to nigeria or s. africa or egypt or something..
i can't relate it nothing to slavery and civil rights, not an exact place.

oh well ignore me i'm just ranting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 10:21 AM

31,385 posts, read 31,057,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
what is African American culture? What is Caucasian culture?
If we accept the notion that culture consists of the beliefs, behaviors, and other characteristics common to the members of a particular group or society. Through culture, people and groups define themselves, through a shared historical narrative and conform to a society's shared values, which can be manifested through language, art, music, customs, values, norms, mores, and rules, organizations, and institutions. If we further accept that culture is a necessary foundation for any group/society it shouldn't be all that hard to understand that in this case Americans of African descent who comprised a number of diverse African cultures and who were precluded and more often that not prohibited from participating in the dominate cultures of the American colonies who have to coalesce to form a unique culture in order to form a cohesive society within the overall dominate culture. Because of the conditions imposed upon these people of African descent over a period stretching from the mid 16th century to mid 20th century it seems incomprehensible, at least to me, that distinct culture would not only be created but would become an integral part of those who shared that historical narrative.

So what is African American or at least how does it manifest itself. To catalogue the various aspects of African American culture would require an encyclopedia of no small size. It would have to encompass the evolution of African American religious practices and thought, music, art, literature, mores, and world views. Such a tome would also require an examination of how African American culture has been shaped by the dominate culture and how that culture was adapted to fit within that which African Americans created as well has how aspects of African American culture has influenced the dominate culture as well.

As for your question regarding "Caucasian culture" it raises a few interesting issues. First, I would argue that that "Caucasian" culture like the term black culture are misnomers. The dominate culture in the U.S. is based upon an European-American historical narrative. It is culture that is distinct from any other culture that is based upon "caucasian" dominated cultures anywhere else in the Western world, just as African American culture is different from the cultures of any other predominately "black" society. This is why the term African American is so critically superior to the term black because it encompasses not only the "racial" characteristics of American descendants of the African diaspora but also the cultural the characteristics of their cultural heritage.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:46 AM

24,757 posts, read 32,896,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
i said i think we don't reall because its not really based on nothing , i mean we don't have like a home land that we can relate it back to because we don't know exactly where we come from (like the exact country).. like asian americans maybe born in america but they can look back to korea, or china.. or hispanic americans can relate it back to maybe puerto rico, or Ecuador or something , or africans born here or come here can relate back to nigeria or s. africa or egypt or something..
i can't relate it nothing to slavery and civil rights, not an exact place.

I understand that totally......but I will also tell you that for that reason, the term African American is even more appropriate. Our history and culture - and it is a distinctive culture - is an integral part of American culture. It was developed here in what is now considered the United States of America. It is based on African cultures combining with themselves as well as European and Native culture. Just as African Americans look like people who are mostly African but combined with European and Native, our culture is the same combination of influences. What American art forms are known by others throughout the world? Jazz, blues, rock, soul, hip-hop. What Americans are known by others? Ali, Michael Jordan, LeBron James. Martin Luther King. African Americans are Americans. That which is American is also African American.

Quote:
oh well ignore me i'm just ranting.
OK.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:50 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,250,313 times
This isn't the anthropology forum. This thread doesn't belong here and I'm wondering why the mods haven't removed it.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
why the mods haven't removed it.
If you are so concerned why not ask them to move it.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:57 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,250,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
If you are so concerned why not ask them to move it.
Mods please move this thread. It has nothing to do with genealogy.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:57 PM

52,631 posts, read 75,451,274 times
It is probably and dare I say is, the most authentic American culture due to how and what it was/is created from.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:32 PM

222 posts, read 360,137 times
Nice answers ! I'm not black but it's nice hearing the positive things on what "black-American" culture is, and not something that an online troll would say by calling it hip hop or thug culture.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It is probably and dare I say is, the most authentic American culture due to how and what it was/is created from.
Well I wouldn't say that. It is still a hybridized culture owning many of its components to both western Europe and Africa. If you throw country and western components into the mix you would have added another important American cultural component.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:24 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,415,357 times
it appears to be anybody that is part of the dutch slave ship immigration experience or their descendants. i serously think mr obama and african immigrants (somali) are excluded from the club. i was concerned in the early election process that the community was not going to support mr obama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or