U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 01:37 PM

5,368 posts, read 4,867,724 times

Advertisements

I know they have origins in India, so I guess that makes them Asians? The most common haplogroups found in the Romani are H and M, which are found almost entirely within South Asian populations.

History of the Romani people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-23-2012, 03:28 PM

13 posts, read 29,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter9 View Post
Several Eastern European countries have large Roma populations. I don't like the term, but they are often referred to as "Gypsies".

I guess "Roma" is their culture...but what is their race? Caucasian?
Their true language is Sinti, an adaptation of sanscrit, their origins are from India, they were part of the ancient cast of Ramany or Romany

and the Romans, the ancient Romans of the Empire and actual Italians, have the same remote origin.

Roma as gypsies are not asians, they are caucasians of the north of India ( you can see their faces, very close to Rumenians and Bulgarians ) and in part Persia, Tajikisthan and Turkmenisthan, but also Afghanisthan. Also in Kazakhistan they have been found ( as all nomads they migrated )

Their main haplos are related to the proto indian haplo P

Old 07-24-2012, 11:03 AM

12,971 posts, read 22,618,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
If race is a social construct than why canít an African and and Asian couple make a Caucasian baby?
But what we label African and Asian and Caucasian are actually all the same race. Nobody said there were not differences in appearance, but the genetic differences are very small.

We all, every human being alive today, descends from the same ancestors. We are all related. We are all the same race.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:35 AM

17,568 posts, read 21,748,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
"quote: race is a social construct"

Ridiculuous propaganda. If race is a social construct than why canít an African and and Asian couple make a Caucasian baby?

The point is - they can make a baby! They are not different the way that a tiger and a bear are different. It is absolutely a social construct!

Old 07-25-2012, 05:31 AM

14,505 posts, read 11,481,746 times
in the UK more in England their known better as Pikeys..I think it means to go away but not sure... but yes they originated in India as far as Ive read....

Old 07-25-2012, 05:54 AM

9,457 posts, read 16,408,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
It's PC to substitute "Roma" for "gypsy," however, while all Roma are gypsies, not all gypsies are Roma. The Ciganos (i.e. gypsies in English) where I live are not Roma, and do not like the Roma when they appear in town.
I was told by a friend recently, who has done many studies on and with the Rom, that using the term "gypsy" is extremely derogatory and is the equivalent of using the N-word for someone of African American ancestry. So yes, I guess it could be considered PC in the same sense that you're PC when saying black instead of something much nastier. I don't feel like I"m selling out when I use the term to describe a race of people that they choose for themselves rather than a mean one that someone else has imposed on them.

As for their race, I've heard India too but the rest of us have also come from there and then mixed with the Europeans that were already in those places. Probably the biggest difference is that the Rom have kept their race more "pure."

Old 07-25-2012, 06:13 AM

11,686 posts, read 13,078,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I was told by a friend recently, who has done many studies on and with the Rom, that using the term "gypsy" is extremely derogatory and is the equivalent of using the N-word for someone of African American ancestry. So yes, I guess it could be considered PC in the same sense that you're PC when saying black instead of something much nastier. I don't feel like I"m selling out when I use the term to describe a race of people that they choose for themselves rather than a mean one that someone else has imposed on them....
"Rom," is a married man, so your friend's study is a bit skewed.

When people tell me they are Ciganos, the Portuguese equivalent of gypsy (Egyptian), I am not going to correct them. Just as when people tell me that they are Cornish, and not English - I do not say that I know better what they are. And when Ciganos tell me that the Roma are only part of their their ethnic group, and not the whole of it, again I am not going to correct them - particularly when a little amount of research confirms that Roma is a limited term.

And when Portuguese Ciganos say that cannot stand the Roma (and there are physical fights between them and the Roma who come in the summer to work the tourists as entertainers, pickpockets and beggars), I am even less inclined to exhort them to accept their "Roma-ness" because it please outsiders.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:06 AM

8,609 posts, read 8,614,769 times
I think the Travellers of Ireland and the UK are of "native" stock.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:29 AM

9,457 posts, read 16,408,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
"Rom," is a married man, so your friend's study is a bit skewed.
That part was probably my confusion but my main point was to call a people by the name they prefer, not an insulting one and most people are probably unaware that it's insulting.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:05 AM

7,099 posts, read 23,889,158 times
There used to be just four "races" White, Brown, Black and Oriental. That was before the subject started being studied. "Race" just doesn't fit many groups of people. The problems with skin color were just ignored.

It was an excuse for bigotry because too many liked to say, "I am better than you, because I am ________."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or