U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 01:23 PM

23,932 posts, read 20,205,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitgirl11 View Post
and trinidadians mostly have indian heritage. Of those who have indian heritage there are a third with afro-trinidadian descent
Trinidad has many people who are overwhelmingly East Indian, some who are mixed African-Indian, some "Creole," and some Chinese and Whites. I believe a slight majority of Trinis have some Indian origins.

Quote:
... And I believe arabs are white so that would preclude them from being africans? Idk I still always considered them africans....
Those from Northern Africa, no matter their race or ethnicity, are Africans. Arab is a cultural distinction, not a racial one. Arabs racially range from Whites with blond hair and blue eyes (Lebanon, Syria, parts of North Africa) to tan or brown with dark hair and eyes (all over the Arab world) to brown/pitch black African (Sudan, Egypt, Maghreb, Gulf). However, though there are some mixed-Bantu and Arab people on the Kenya-Tanzania coast, they are African with Muslim-Arab influence. The Obamas are Luo, definitely East African.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 01:33 PM

632 posts, read 364,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
So.......how do you determine who is African and who is an Arab who looks like an African but is not of true "African blood?"
I don't determine it at all. I couldn't care less about what blood people have in them or what they want to call themselves.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:43 PM

517 posts, read 261,282 times
they don't look east african like ethiopians imo. Obama that is...
sudanese arabs I never really considered them arab. But I meant those with the distinct racial features. Many brown arabs are just tanned but actually like Italians in complection when taken out of the sun.
Also being muslim has nothing to do with arabs. I'm not arab and a muslim. But I get they could have an arab influence...

Old 07-23-2012, 01:46 PM

517 posts, read 261,282 times
also yea it's 60% who have some degree or another of indian heritage

Old 07-23-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
I don't determine it at all. I couldn't care less about what blood people have in them or what they want to call themselves.
Then why did you write all of that drivel about Obama's alleged bloodlines?

Old 07-23-2012, 02:20 PM

2,493 posts, read 1,110,396 times
Guess I'm trying to understand the thrust of your question. There is often no way to know for certain all of your family's ancestry, especially having heritage in places like Trinidad & Tobago and Mauritius.

As for the term African-American, my view is that the term tends to refers to people of African descent with a heritage in the U.S. Even if both of your parents were of African heritage from Trinidad, that wouldn't make you African-American unless you decided to identify with the term. American, yes. AA, no. Now as someone with heritage in an African country, you may decide to identify with the term for that reason.

There's really no point in or need to racialize it. Plenty Trinidadians - Indian and African - also have Spanish, French, Carib or Arawak heritage. There are also people with Syrian, Lebanese or Chinese heritage. My heritage is Trinidadian, and my background includes at least 4 of the above.

But this issue is really one of culture, imho.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitgirl11 View Post
they don't look east african like ethiopians imo. Obama that is...
sudanese arabs I never really considered them arab.
Why not? Arabic is their native language; their culture is that of the Arabs.
Quote:

But I meant those with the distinct racial features. Many brown arabs are just tanned but actually like Italians in complection when taken out of the sun.
Yes, but many people who come from the Arab culture do not have "distinct racial features," as we have already seen. There are Saudis, Kuwaitis, Egyptians, Palestinians, Iraqis, etc., who are black African in appearance. Not to mention the aforementioned Sudanese.

Quote:
Also being muslim has nothing to do with arabs. I'm not arab and a muslim. But I get they could have an arab influence...
I did not mention the word "Muslim" in connection with the Arab world - I mentioned it in the context of places like Mombasa and Dar es Salaam and Zanzibar that have Arab and Islamic cultural influence but which are not parts of the Arab world but are in eastern Africa. Indeed, you can be Christian or Jewish and be Arab. I know you do not have to be Arab to be Muslim.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Guess I'm trying to understand the thrust of your question. There is often no way to know for certain all of your family's ancestry, especially having heritage in places like Trinidad & Tobago and Mauritius.

As for the term African-American, my view is that the term tends to refers to people of African descent with a heritage in the U.S. Even if both of your parents were of African heritage from Trinidad, that wouldn't make you African-American unless you decided to identify with the term. American, yes. AA, no. Now as someone with heritage in an African country, you may decide to identify with the term for that reason.

There's really no point in or need to racialize it. Plenty Trinidadians - Indian and African - also have Spanish, French, Carib or Arawak heritage. There are also people with Syrian, Lebanese or Chinese heritage. My heritage is Trinidadian, and my background includes at least 4 of the above.

But this issue is really one of culture, imho.
U nailed it.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:33 PM

632 posts, read 364,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Then why did you write all of that drivel about Obama's alleged bloodlines?
To help the opening poster answer her question. Is that a crime? Please pick a fight with someone else, I was only trying to help here.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
To help the opening poster answer her question. Is that a crime? Please pick a fight with someone else, I was only trying to help here.
I am not picking fights. I am just asking for clarification. If you can't provide it, it's OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy