Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 08:10 PM

14 posts, read 10,515 times

Advertisements

His Royal Highness Prince Bandar bin Sultan

Certainly looks Caucasian to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 07:29 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,167,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Kitgirl, my take on your ancestry is that the most accurate way to describe it would be South Indian because that is the largest portion. As you have pointed out, there were large migrations of Indians to Trinidad and Mauritius. For those who don't know, South Indians are distinctly darker from northern Indians. And I suspect, but I don't know, that the South Indians were probably the group of Indians more likely to need to find work abroad. That darker south Indian heritage may also give you an appearance that seems more closely related to subsaharan Africa than you actually are. So, if asked about your race, and you wanted to answer with some specifics but without the whole story line, mixed race with a preponderance of south Indian.
South Indians were the minority brought to Trinidad. The majority came from Uttar Pradesh and Bihar.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:39 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,167,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitgirl11 View Post
yes I know that. But I'm saying the small difference between africans and saudis or any nonblack people is still there. I'm just saying saudis are different enough not to be black.

anyhow, that's not what I was saying. Actually black people do the same thing many do not want to mix with others because they think they're too unique. Also, just because my mum thought a certain way doesn't mean I do too...
That's because to those who are culturally ignorant of Africans and African descendents fail to see that the people are not just "blacks." There are a myriad of African/African descended cultures and languages spoken that people desire to preserve. So those who feel that way dont simply think they are unique, they are unique. So like many Asians (Indians included), they want to marry within their own.

Saudis aren't African people generally speaking.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:53 PM

517 posts, read 998,570 times
just because he's brown means something iagree withpp

Old 08-13-2012, 11:47 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
yes I know that. But I'm saying the small difference between africans and saudis or any nonblack people is still there. I'm just saying saudis are different enough not to be black.
Not in every case. There are many, many Saudis who are obviously black African or mixed with such.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
That's because to those who are culturally ignorant of Africans and African descendents fail to see that the people are not just "blacks." There are a myriad of African/African descended cultures and languages spoken that people desire to preserve. So those who feel that way dont simply think they are unique, they are unique. So like many Asians (Indians included), they want to marry within their own.

Saudis aren't African people generally speaking.
Generally speaking, that is true.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:15 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
There are many, many Saudis who are obviously black African or mixed with such.
Really? How long ago did they arrive in that part of the world?

Old 08-13-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
well I don't think I have an eighth black african ancestry but my mom's heritage in africa has a long history...
Finally, some clear info on Mauritius Creole people: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauritian_Creole_people

So, the Creoles are African, descended from slaves taken to Mauritius, and Malagasy (Austronesian = Asian). If you get a DNA analysis (which will tap into the maternal line, leaving out, I think, male DNA contributions in the female line), please let us know the results. This is such a fascinating story!

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 08-13-2012 at 02:37 PM..

Old 08-13-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Really? How long ago did they arrive in that part of the world?
Remember that Saudi Arabia, especially on the Red Sea coast, is very close to Africa. There have been people moving back and forth between Africa and the Gulf States for centuries. From the 1400s on, the slave trade also resulted in communities of obvious Blacks (usually of Tanzanian or Kenyan descent) in all the Gulf states as well as Iraq (primarily in Basra) and Iran (primarily in Bandar Abbas). They didn't abolish slavery in Saudi Arabia until 1962!

The “Saudi Obama” – Shaykh Adil Kalbani, first Black Imam of Masjid al-Haram, Makkah | MR's Blog

Iraq

Go on the BBC site for the Olympics and look at the pictures of the athletes from Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Kuwait and Qatar. Lots of obvious Black African phenotypes there.

BBC Sport - London 2012 Olympics - Sultan Mubarak Al-Dawoodi : Saudi Arabia, Athletics

BBC Sport - London 2012 Olympics - Abdulaziz Ladan Mohammed : Saudi Arabia, Athletics

BBC Sport - London 2012 Olympics - Ahmed Khalil : United Arab Emirates, Football

BBC Sport - London 2012 Olympics - Ismail Al Hammadi : United Arab Emirates, Football

BBC Sport - London 2012 Olympics - Musaeb Abdulrahman Balla : Qatar, Athletics

BBC Sport - London 2012 Olympics - Fawaz Al-Shammari : Kuwait, Athletics

Old 08-13-2012, 02:40 PM

Oh, right. And probably when Zanzibar belonged to Arabia, a lot of people moved back and forth, and settled in Arabia from Zanzibar. Makes sense. Of course, since the first migration from Africa to Asia was along the coast, all Arabs are ultimately descended from Africans, anyway. But so are we all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy