Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 11:19 AM

10,207 posts, read 17,859,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Is it fair to exclude people from a society based on their skin color? I'm not saying this is quite as heinous as racism, just pointing out that it is NOT fair to exclude people from a society based on something that: A) Has no influence on their abilities and B) Is something they can't change.

The SAR/DAR does not ban people on race.
I never said they did. You're completely missing the point. Never mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 11:38 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,948,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I never said they did. You're completely missing the point. Never mind.

I don't think I am missing your point. Your point being.... there should not be any organizations like the DAR, etc that excludes people who do not fit the requirements of membership. I find that to be ridiculous. Many organizations are formed by people that have something in common. I see nothing wrong with that. Evidently you do. If I want to form a club for all of the residents on my street and the requirements are that you have to live on my street. Do you think that I should not be able to do so?

Old 08-10-2012, 04:27 PM

116 posts, read 546,229 times
I am a direct descendant of Daniel Morgan.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeslave View Post
i am a direct descendant of daniel morgan.

dar/sar ???????

Old 08-11-2012, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
I don't think I am missing your point. Your point being.... there should not be any organizations like the DAR, etc that excludes people who do not fit the requirements of membership.
No, the point is I find their specific requirements of membership unfair.

Quote:
I find that to be ridiculous. Many organizations are formed by people that have something in common. I see nothing wrong with that. Evidently you do. If I want to form a club for all of the residents on my street and the requirements are that you have to live on my street. Do you think that I should not be able to do so?
It's not the same thing at all and if you can't see that, I'm not going to waste my time trying to explain it to you.

Quote:
dar/sar ???????
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Morgan

Old 08-11-2012, 05:14 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Which ones? They seem pretty fair. You need to be "gender appropriate" for the organization and be able to prove descent from a recognized supporter of the Revolution or to someone else who did (my wife would likely just need to show her birth certificate and her mom's DAR member certificate if she wanted to join). They don't care about anything else as far as I know. You don't have to be invited in by other members like some organizations.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Which ones?
I think I already described it in my previous posts. I'm off on vacation in a few hours so I don't have time to keep repeating myself. If you don't understand my point we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:19 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
I think I already described it in my previous posts. I'm off on vacation in a few hours so I don't have time to keep repeating myself. If you don't understand my point we'll just have to agree to disagree.
It's "unfair" that I can't join the Society of California pioneers because my direct ancestors arrived there three years too late but I don't get too worked up about it.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:

I don't understand the thoughts of people that think they should be allowed into an organization that clearly has membership requirements. All of us are not qualified to be members of certain organizations and it does not bother me in the least.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:08 AM

So you think that an organization that was formed for the ancestors of people that served in the American revolution should accept anyone. That is a strange way of thinking in my opinion. I can't be a member of the "Medal of Honor" Society because I did not earn it. Should I be allowed to be a member when I clearly do not qualify? I don't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy