Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 08:01 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,954,739 times

Advertisements

Two of my more notable ancestors were Paruasemana (Ten Bears) from my maternal grandmother's side and Mowway (Shaking Hand) from my maternal grandfather's side. What did they do for a living? They hunted the tasiwoo (buffalo) and tried to keep ya'lls Old West ancestors out of our land.

Last edited by Fullback32; 08-29-2012 at 08:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 03:03 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,244,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
Two of my more notable ancestors were Paruasemana (Ten Bears) from my maternal grandmother's side and Mowway (Shaking Hand) from my maternal grandfather's side. What did they do for a living? They hunted the tasiwoo (buffalo) and tried to keep ya'lls Old West ancestors out of our land.
Your people did get one of mine back in 1823.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:56 PM
bjh

60,057 posts, read 30,375,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerz View Post
Love reading these stories.

Last Chance, Colorado;
Arthur Trimm
Grandpa is on the white horse to the left, his twin brother is next to him on the left.
Picture titled last Cattle drive to Denver, he then retired to Greeley...
Cool! Any idea of what the guys in the front of the photo are doing?

Old 08-31-2012, 12:33 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,234,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Cool! Any idea of what the guys in the front of the photo are doing?
Gambling??????
Not sure really

Old 08-31-2012, 02:22 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Any interesting characters in your family tree from the 19th Century West? West is defined as CO, NM, AZ, CA, MT, WY, ID, OR, or WA. Where did they come from, when, and what did they do for a living?

Texas Jack Vermillion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

^ i read that this guy was a brother to one of my direct ancestors (a Virginia Vermillion as well). i believe there are questions about who he was, exactly, but whatever... it is a good story.

Soldier, lawman, outlaw, Methodist preacher
alias "Texas Jack" and later as "Shoot-Your-Eye-Out" Vermillion, was a gunfighter of the Old West known for his participation in the Earp vendetta ride and his later association with Soapy Smith.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:39 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,378,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
This isn't "old" west but here it is anyway . My Dad left Mother and me in AR, took off, and ended up being a working cowboy in central AZ in the early 1930s. He and I finally reunited in the early 1970s and he could tell some interesting experiences. He said the "wild west" was still wild when he got there and gave many examples which I'll not take the space here to tell.
Dad had two more wives and I asked their story and he said he won one in a crap game and the other he woke up in bed with, in Mexico, and found out they had married the night before . Neither story was true but it was interesting at the time. Another story which may have been true since his second wife was from Iowa; They got married just before round-up and he had to teach her how to cook, on a camp fire, then after round-up and they were back at ranch headquarters he again had to teach her how to cook, but this time on a kitchen stove . It was not intended to be negative when I wrote that #2 was from Iowa, I was just showing she knew nothing about ranch life. But she stuck it out for about 10 years.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:13 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,903,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Texas Jack Vermillion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

^ i read that this guy was a brother to one of my direct ancestors (a Virginia Vermillion as well). i believe there are questions about who he was, exactly, but whatever... it is a good story.

Soldier, lawman, outlaw, Methodist preacher
alias "Texas Jack" and later as "Shoot-Your-Eye-Out" Vermillion, was a gunfighter of the Old West known for his participation in the Earp vendetta ride and his later association with Soapy Smith.
When I posted about my family I completely forgot about the one 'real' Old West ancestor in the family! Doc Holliday! Egad... He wasn't my ancestor but he is my kids ancestor through their dad's family. They still carry the Holliday name as well. There's a pic I've seen of him that could have been my kid's dad, nearly identical except their dad didn't have a moustache.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:19 PM
bjh

60,057 posts, read 30,375,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerz View Post
Gambling??????
Not sure really
Possibly, it does kind of look like a craps game, maybe? Hard to say for sure, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy