Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2012, 10:52 PM

31 posts, read 52,779 times

Advertisements

Because I am a wee bit lazy, I am going to paste what was a reply I gave in someone else's geneological thread because of how it sums things up for me here:
-------------------------------------------------------
Hello,

I too have been recently considering serious investigation into the nature of the biological parents of a grandparent of my own, who was adopted. My grandmother (old man's mother) was adopted in IL (I myself reside in Cook County) with a proported birth year of 1921. The only stark difference appears to be that, allegedly at least (I hold it possible careful misinformation and deception has been placed and occurred) her adoption was arranged via a doctor. She was apparently given up by a "young, unwed Danish girl" as the family legend dictates. No mention of any details on her biological dad.

Additionally, while it would seem she was actually born in Illinois, I cannot confirm where exactly. One census record I found on ancestry.com from when she still lived at home simply stated "Illinois" for her own place of birth.

Interestingly, her adoptive dad was a relatively high ranking Mason (a shriner) who was related to somewhat wealthy ship-builders based either in Milwaukee or Racine Wisconsin. My grandmother ended up marrying a shriner herself, and my own dad's best friend is a shriner. Just something to consider...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In addition, I have recently discovered two interesting family photos. One is my grandmother's adoptive father's mother. The second, is of said person's old man (in other words, a double great grandmother and a triple great grandfather of mine). These two individuals are Supposedly not "blood" (that is, ancestors of adoptive folks), but they bear very significant physical resemblences between myself as well as my dad. Showing the photo of my triple great grandfather to others, for example, has actually brought gasps as to the degree of physical resemblence (similar face shape, tall forehead, wavy hair, thick browridge, same manner in which the beard grows...) between him and myself.

Now, is there any perceived pragmatic reason, on the part of my grandmother's adoptive parents, in which they would adopt a relative, yet remain secrerative about it? The adoption was also allegedly doctor arranged...which gives one source of doubt to my theory of it having been within some branch of the family. Also, the business with the "young, unwed Danish girl".

I'd appreciate any insight, even if just quick thoughts or anecdotes. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 09:14 AM

393 posts, read 598,769 times
It was fairly common for children from unwed pregnancies to be adopted by either a married sibling of the unwed mother, or for her parents to have a "late middle aged pregnancy baby". The related to family status would not have been revealed because it would shame all the family - especially middle class families - and knowledge of having a child out of wedlock would have ruined the mothers chance of marriage.

Do you know if there was a legal through the courts adoption? Illinois unsealed original birth certificates for adult adoptees, but am unsure if the new law allows for children or grandchildren of the adoptee to obtain the original birth certificate of the adoptee (perhaps if the adoptee is deceased). Check with the vital statistics website for Illinois - you will either find details about it or a person to email. The original birth certificate would show at least the mothers name but unlikely to show the father's name if they were not married.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:26 PM

31 posts, read 52,779 times
Thank you for the reply, Dodger. Since posting this, I also remembered a bit that apparently my grandmother's adoptive parents were living together for a while before adopting her, marrying immediately prior to her adoption. I do know that her adoptive father himself was fathered by a man his own mother never married! I just found out that latter point the other day. My grandmother's adoptive dad's mother would go on to marry the ship-builder mentioned in my previous post. Through that marriage, he had a half-sister. Perhaps the woman my grandmother referred to as an aunt was actually her biological mother? She was his younger sibling, and it is interesting how suddenly he and his wife married in order to adopt my grandmother.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:38 PM

393 posts, read 598,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yochanan77 View Post
Thank you for the reply, Dodger. Since posting this, I also remembered a bit that apparently my grandmother's adoptive parents were living together for a while before adopting her, marrying immediately prior to her adoption. I do know that her adoptive father himself was fathered by a man his own mother never married! I just found out that latter point the other day. My grandmother's adoptive dad's mother would go on to marry the ship-builder mentioned in my previous post. Through that marriage, he had a half-sister. Perhaps the woman my grandmother referred to as an aunt was actually her biological mother? She was his younger sibling, and it is interesting how suddenly he and his wife married in order to adopt my grandmother.
It is quite likely if you feel the resemblence is very strong. I would try to see if Illinois Vital Records allows you to access her original birth certificate.

If not you could always try dna testing to see if the surname group is the same. Something to educate yourself on how close it could take you. mtDNA testing will give the maternal line, Ydna (?) testing the paternal line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy