Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 03:55 AM

393 posts, read 1,496,990 times

Advertisements

NG received my DNA samples on 10/22, and on 11/7 they started Stage 2, so they're about 40% done with my test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 01:29 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalCat View Post
NG received my DNA samples on 10/22, and on 11/7 they started Stage 2, so they're about 40% done with my test.
Same with me but today it went to stage three: Interesting that it took such a short time from stage two to three - hope that means we will be getting it sooner than I expected.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:08 PM

Oh my gosh! I just checked again, and the bubble part says Stage 4 is Underway, but below that, it says it's in Analysis, which takes 6-10 days.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:41 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,016,928 times
I mailed my samples last Saturday (11/10/12). I didn't bother checking my account for the receipt of the samples until this morning (Saturday), given that I dropped the sample off after the post office was closed.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that the sample is now in Stage 3, 40% completed. I'm guessing less than one week from date of receipt to Stage 3. I don't know whether I'm more impressed with the United States Postal Service or the folks at the Genographic Project !

Old 11-19-2012, 02:16 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,492,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
I would be interested to hear of the results of both the Geno 1.0 and 2.0 and your Y-DNA 111 results. What did your Geno 1.0 tell you?
The Geno 1.0 results ... resulted in several people contacting me to say we were related. Well, I guess we can be .. but the case made by one of the guys was a bit off the wall, IMO. The second person has the same first and last name as I do but he knows nothing about his ancestry nor did he know that his heritage was from, most recently (after the USA) Ireland. We will meet soon.

I've just completed the Y-DNA 111 process and admit that I don't understand what I've been provided. I need to concentrate on learning more about the results. The organization isn't very helpful (to the uneducated and maybe I should be posting to that group's forum) and I sense one needs a PhD to interpret them. I do sense, however, that there are 5 or 6 closely related persons who have been identified through the testing but none shares the same last name or a last name which would be related through the years. Like I said, I need to start asking some more questions.

My Geno 2.0 results are due in a couple of weeks (December 2 was the "estimated" time of arrival). I'm interested in seeing what comes back on my Mother's side of the family. They're almost all gone now, those in the USA, and I know little to nothing about that side of the genetics.

I already knew, pre-Geno 1.0 where my family was from before I was born. My paternal and maternal sides. Ireland and Sweden. I'd been to Ireland several times before the testing and have met my cousins, etc. I wish more people would test themselves.

Last edited by gomexico; 11-19-2012 at 02:26 PM.. Reason: Added "111" to "Y-DNA"

Old 11-19-2012, 11:55 PM

261 posts, read 256,510 times
are there DNA-exchange communities or companies, where I can send in
someone else's DNA while they submit mine ? So the company won't know
what my DNA is.
Is there someone here who I can trust and who also wants to do the test
and who would change his sample with me ?

Or a DNA-testing company where I can submit and pay anonymously
while they publish the result on their webpage in encrypted form ?

Old 11-21-2012, 04:25 AM

You're the only person who can see your DNA results on the National Geographic Geno 2.0 site. I would assume it's the same with the others. Why would you want to submit someone else's DNA or have someone else submit yours? Your DNA test is coded to a number not your name.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:14 PM

My results came in today (11/21). They pretty much covered the information I received in the Geno 1.0 test, plus they gave me regional percentages. Here they are compared to Ancestry's DNA results:

Geno 2.0 -
24% Northeastern Asian
22% Mediterranean
19% Southeastern Asian
13% Northern European
8% Oceanian
5% Southwestern Asian
4% Sub-Saharan African
4% Native American

Ancestry DNA -
44% East Asian
27% Southern European
7% Eastern European
6% Pacific Islander
16% Uncertain

What I know via my genealogy -
Mother's side:
Filipino/possibly Spanish
Hawaiian
Chinese

Father's side:
Basque
Spanish
Cuban
Puerto Rican (Spanish/Taino/African)
Norwegian
possibly some French

NG Geno 2.0 also says I have:
3.5% Neanderthal
4.4% Denisovan
which is interesting

Maybe someday I'll take the 23andMe test to see the medical information, but it's still pretty pricey. I find it all interesting, though it doesn't affect who I am, and both tests say my numbers can change over time as they get more participant results.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:54 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalCat View Post
My results came in today (11/21). They pretty much covered the information I received in the Geno 1.0 test, plus they gave me regional percentages. Here they are compared to Ancestry's DNA results:

Geno 2.0 -

What is the website for Gene 2.0. A Google search brings up a lot of stuff.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:25 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
What is the website for Gene 2.0. A Google search brings up a lot of stuff.
Geno 2.0 - Genographic Project Participation and DNA Ancestry Kit - National Geographic Store
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy