U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2015, 11:13 AM

2,468 posts, read 2,724,033 times

Advertisements

I haven't found any famous ancestors, maybe in time, I will. If found, the famous would more likely be indirect ancestors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 12:35 PM

4,529 posts, read 7,035,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
My uncle shot the motion picture of a contemporary historical event that I would guess nearly everyone in the United States has seen multiple times. Few would recognize his name and all would recognize the event.

The event has been commemorated in postal stamps, newsreels, sculpture and several historical and biographical books.

Semper Fi.
This, perhaps?

Old 01-20-2015, 09:50 PM

5,162 posts, read 2,994,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
This, perhaps?

I wonder. . .

Old 01-21-2015, 08:13 AM

299 posts, read 186,613 times
Both sides of our family (wife and mine) we have connections with Revolutionary people...Richard Henry Lee, for one.
The wife has some disturbing relatives...amongst them Joseph Fouche, a madman under Napoleon I. Rabidly anti-Christian and anti-Semetic, he ransacked churches, rounded up and killed religious leaders, and worked to create a world free of religious influence.
The greatest person in our lineage is the Lord Jesus Christ.
My wife is Jewish, and indications are she's got the right tribe of Israel in common with Jesus.
But further than that, we both are adopted children of God, through our "Big Brother" and Saviour, Jesus the Messiah.
But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God --John 1:12-13
[i]For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together[i]. --Romans 8:14-17
This is the greatest lineage anyone can have...and is available to any color, any age, any country of the world!

Old 01-21-2015, 08:15 AM

12,619 posts, read 10,732,308 times
General Beauregard...a big deal in New Orleans.

Oh, and maus sorry that message was for the orig poster, oops!

Old 01-21-2015, 12:15 PM

858 posts, read 748,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NT Fellowship View Post
Both sides of our family (wife and mine) we have connections with Revolutionary people...Richard Henry Lee, for one.
The wife has some disturbing relatives...amongst them Joseph Fouche, a madman under Napoleon I. Rabidly anti-Christian and anti-Semetic, he ransacked churches, rounded up and killed religious leaders, and worked to create a world free of religious influence.
The greatest person in our lineage is the Lord Jesus Christ.
My wife is Jewish, and indications are she's got the right tribe of Israel in common with Jesus.
But further than that, we both are adopted children of God, through our "Big Brother" and Saviour, Jesus the Messiah.
But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God --John 1:12-13
[i]For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together[i]. --Romans 8:14-17
This is the greatest lineage anyone can have...and is available to any color, any age, any country of the world!
*sigh* You do realize it isn't appropriate to preach in all venues (I think a genealogy forum is a good example, otherwise things would get quite chaotic). Restraint is a strong sign of maturity and character.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:29 AM

299 posts, read 186,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alandros View Post
*sigh* You do realize it isn't appropriate to preach in all venues (I think a genealogy forum is a good example, otherwise things would get quite chaotic). Restraint is a strong sign of maturity and character.
I did not consider that 'preaching'. Everywhere Jesus and the apostles went, they spoke of God. They didn't keep it to a tree stump or the synagogue, because God isn't contained in a box.
However, I'll double check on the rules of the forum. I wasn't seeking to make or get into a religious argument. I was being thankful for the *Best*of Relatives!

Old 01-22-2015, 08:38 AM

14,375 posts, read 7,088,716 times
I found out I am a distant cousin of Paul Laurence Dunbar. He was the most famous black poet of his time.

My great grandfather is a Dunbar and he had (now I have) all of the first editions of Paul L. Dunbar's books. He swore to me that he was our cousin but didn't know how lol. Grandpa died in 1993 and I got "into" genealogy around 1995. One of the first things I wanted to look up was were we related to Paul L. Dunbar. It took over 10 years to find out that we were.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:04 PM

858 posts, read 748,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NT Fellowship View Post
I did not consider that 'preaching'. Everywhere Jesus and the apostles went, they spoke of God. They didn't keep it to a tree stump or the synagogue, because God isn't contained in a box.
However, I'll double check on the rules of the forum. I wasn't seeking to make or get into a religious argument. I was being thankful for the *Best*of Relatives!
This will be my last post on this topic since I don't want to start an argument or go far off topic but this is a genealogy forum and your religious belief and context of family used to refer to your God or Jesus has no fit into genealogy. You have every right to believe what you want and I didn't think you had ill-intentions, it just seems completely out of context in a genealogy forum, nearly half your post or more was quotes scripture rather than genealogy or historical relatives etc.

Old 01-23-2015, 04:11 AM

2,454 posts, read 2,273,255 times
Interesting, I got a hold of a book that we got at a family reunion years ago that I never really looked at but am discovering new things every day- I am also a direct descendent of William Clayton(Married to Prudence Lanckford) who was the acting governor of the Pennsylvania colony 1684-1685. There's a possibility that Richard Nixon is descendent from him but I don't believe it is confirmed. So that would mean I am a very distant cousin of former President Nixon. It is also said William is descended from Robert De Clayton who is apparently an ancestor of Princess Diana, Former President William Henry Harrison, and Winston Churchill. So I would also be distantly related to the future Kings of England.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or