U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2015, 11:26 PM

17,985 posts, read 17,140,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I have Tories and Revolutionaries in my tree. Keep looking.
I have the same thing. Many who fought in the Revolutionary War but also a few who were loyalists. The loyalists had to give up their land--fast--and flee to Canada. Canada welcomed tories and gave them new land and a new start on life.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:41 PM

3,359 posts, read 10,633,860 times
Another Rev Batchelor descendant, founder of New Hampshire, here along with Alandros and Austin 023. His much younger 4th wife was thought to be the inspiration for The Scarlet Letter. His grandson Daniel (my line) was one of a dozen people at the first Quaker meeting in 1657 held in Cape Cod with family museum there the oldest house in Mass. Presidents Fillmore, Roosevelt, Ford, Nixon, Bush. Mitt Romney, Churchill, JP Morgan, Ll Bean, Daniel Webster, Louie L'Amour, Norman Rockwell, Marilyn Monroe, James Dean, Christopher Reeves, Johnny Carson, Robert Redford. Swifts and Rensselaers on my mother's side as well as a Ct museum the oldest house in the state.

On my dad's, Pres Cleveland, Cleveland Amory, and a member of Parliament from Three Rivers area of Quebec. I don't know as much about this side.

Last edited by Sgoldie; 03-22-2015 at 12:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 04:36 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,543,630 times
I have an ancestor that was a doctor that discovered a glitch in an EKG that was previously unknown. Now, all med students study his findings as they go through med school. Almost every time that I go to a new doctor they bring his name up. There are schools, streets and medical institutions in Holland, Germany, and Austria that carry his name. I also have an ancestor that was a sculpture that has sculptures in parks and in front of public buildings in Germany. I have another that was mentioned in letters from a painter named G. A. Ridder van Rappard to Vincent Van Gogh.

Old 03-22-2015, 05:23 PM

222 posts, read 182,255 times
Yes, Adam and Eve.

Old 03-22-2015, 06:12 PM

2,298 posts, read 1,669,139 times
My mothers side of the family has been traced back to be part of the Wright brothers family line. My cousin is very big into genealogy and has been researching for some time.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:28 PM

6,940 posts, read 7,954,515 times
I have been told that I am related to someone who played a major part in the founding of Wake Forest University, sorry can't remember this persons name, will have to ask. Probably not "famous" but Wake Forest University is a well-known private university, so I think that is kind of cool.

I had a friend in High School who was related to Stonewall Jackson distantly.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:38 PM

468 posts, read 432,012 times
Back in the day, the Ottoman Turks on their way to plundering Vienna, over ran my ancestors village. There were two hundred souls in that village. My ancestor rallied, the village, saved the village doing some serious damage to the Ottoman Turkish horde, and way laying them, giving the Popes troops to time to prepare to defend Vienna. For the bravery, he was given lands and became a land baron. He is in the history books of the old country. We had the lands in family control until 1900s. His name is still being carried in the family by the males.
I would really love to jump the time quantum and meet him and tell him, "You are not going to believe this but after centuries we are back to fighting the Muslims. Is that insane or what??

Old 03-22-2015, 10:43 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,543,630 times
I forgot, I had a woman ancestor that was head of the German Department at Wellesley College in Boston in the 1800's. Hillary Rodham was the first student commencement speaker at Wellesley College in 1969. Then-First Lady Barbara Bush was invited to keynote the 1990 graduation ceremony at Wellesley College in Massachusetts.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:22 PM

4,114 posts, read 3,863,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
John Adams.
That would make us kin. John and John Quincy are third and fourth cousins to my immediate family. Of course, Samuel Adams is in there too. Going a few generations further back in that branch is John Alden and Priscilla Mullins, Mayflower passengers.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:55 AM

18,293 posts, read 11,611,584 times
I'm related to Devil Anse Hatfield, on my mother's side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or